Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

% of NRs in a comp?

Played in my 3rd ever comp yesterday. Was going along well until i had a disaster on one of our par 5s. Lost my first drive, then my 3rd (or, more accurately, 5th) shot disappeared into the trees. Spent a few minutes looking for it, but no luck. Gave up on the hole at that point as there was people waiting behind us, played the rest of the round with my mate, but didn't bother putting my card in as it was incomplete.

Anyway, got the text from HDID this morning saying I had come 46th. Logged on and saw that out of 64 competitors, no fewer than 21 had NR'd.

That struck me as a very high figure, particularly as it was a nice day with very little wind.

It is normal for a third of players to NR?

Money List Winner

Re: % of NRs in a comp?

No, but many courses will have huge growth this time of year and if it's not kept fully in check (many dont) you get lost balls and no returns.

Especially true of brambles, nettles and bracken in and around trees...
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

No wouldn't say so, reckon its somewhere around 15% at our place, at least in my division. There aren't many places to lose balls though so that might be a big part of it.
    9.5* Ping i20 Stock Stiff
    15* Taylormade R15 Fujikura FUEL 60 S
    18* Adams Pro DHY Aldila Tour Blue 85 S
    4-PW John Letters Master Model S300
    52*,56*,60* John Letters Tour Black DG Spinner
    34" Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
    2016 Handicap par 73 SSS71 - 10.0 -> 10.1 (NR,95 adj) -> 10.2 (net 79)
    http://www.driftgolfclub.com/golf/

why didn't you put your card in ???

TBH that should be a DQ for not returning a score and 0.1 anyway.

if you had just put NR on the hole you didn't finish and scores on the rest ( reduced to Double bogey)you could have still been cut
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

No that's a pretty high number I think. Our place just had captain's day as the most recent example, there were 80-something entries and 11 of them were NR. So only around 13%.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Callaway Supersoft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    why didn't you put your card in ???

TBH that should be a DQ for not returning a score and 0.1 anyway.

if you had just put NR on the hole you didn't finish and scores on the rest ( reduced to Double bogey)you could have still been cut
    didn't know that, have only just started playing in comp and not 100% clear on the etiquitte. my playing partner is in the same boat.

I did get a 0.1 for NRing according to HDID.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Hosel Fade View Post
    No wouldn't say so, reckon its somewhere around 15% at our place, at least in my division. There aren't many places to lose balls though so that might be a big part of it.
    We must have the world record for the number of trees on a golf course.

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    We must have the world record for the number of trees on a golf course.
    Must be contending with ours, just happens that nothing grows under them so you find it everywhere. Hear horror stories from older members about how there used to be Rhododendrons everywhere making it essentially unplayable.
    9.5* Ping i20 Stock Stiff
    15* Taylormade R15 Fujikura FUEL 60 S
    18* Adams Pro DHY Aldila Tour Blue 85 S
    4-PW John Letters Master Model S300
    52*,56*,60* John Letters Tour Black DG Spinner
    34" Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
    2016 Handicap par 73 SSS71 - 10.0 -> 10.1 (NR,95 adj) -> 10.2 (net 79)
    http://www.driftgolfclub.com/golf/

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    didn't know that, have only just started playing in comp and not 100% clear on the etiquitte. my playing partner is in the same boat.

I did get a 0.1 for NRing according to HDID.
    If you didn't put your card in and you got a .1 back that will be for not returning your card, not for NR'ing a hole, how would the system know you NR'd a hole if no score was entered, that could be the same for the high numbers of NR's

We probably lose 5-10% to NR but we are quite an open course so losing balls is less likely apart from a few holes. I would suggest next time do as already has been mentioned, write NR on that hole but then continue playing the comp as though nothing has happened. Still sign the card, enter it on the computer. My club is starting to suspend players from the next comp if they simply rip up their card as it is happening too often with players throwing a hissy fit.

No issue with a NR based on the odd hole, I had a similar experience to you a few weeks back and NR a hole but I filled in the rest of the card. My h/c stayed the same. (I did not know how to fill in the card at the time, I ended up asking on here after the event, so put a line through it on the day. I'm wiser now)

I do find in golf that these types of things are rarely explained to golfers new to comps. People are expected to know things straight away that others have spent years learning. Lots of innocent mistakes made. A few guidelines to newbies would be very helpful, I'm sure some clubs do that already before someone chips in but lots do not.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter