Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Biggest golf turn off. (rant)

Slow play is the obvious one, but I try to not let that bother me. Golf is my down time where I switch off from the stresses of work so I'm generally quite relaxed about it and will jump a hole if I can't get through a group etc. If I cant i'll generally just mess about with a wedge chipping whilst waiting to tee off etc.

The other for me its the golfer who consistently (and only) talks about themselves , their game, and then takes you through every good and bad shot they hit.
    H/cap 6.7,

Quote Originally Posted by Don Barzini View Post
    Yeah slow play is annoying. One of the guys I play with sometimes is a pain for it. Every shot he's standing there with his rangefinder. How far to the hole? How far to that bunker? How far to that tree over there? How far to that hazard? Which way is the wind blowing? *Hand on chin, deciding which club to use. Takes out club. Stands there some more. Changes mind about club choice.*

JUST BLOODY GET ON WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I put this kind of thing firmly at the door of the tour. Club players think it's ok to take that long to play a shot because that's what they see on telly.

Putting is the worst. I've played with people who look at putts from all sides, whilst standing around doing nothing when it's not their turn. This is not how you should be using your time when you are waiting for your turn! use the time to read your line, get yourself ready so you can take your turn in a decent timeframe.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19 stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52, 55, 60)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

Quote Originally Posted by Yant View Post
    I put this kind of thing firmly at the door of the tour. Club players think it's ok to take that long to play a shot because that's what they see on telly.

Putting is the worst. I've played with people who look at putts from all sides, whilst standing around doing nothing when it's not their turn. This is not how you should be using your time when you are waiting for your turn! use the time to read your line, get yourself ready so you can take your turn in a decent timeframe.
    Especially annoying when on your home course - you're playing the same greens every week, sometimes 2 or more times a week, if you don't have a vague idea how it's going to break now you're never going to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Yant View Post

We were stuck behind a two-ball at the weekend (we were a three), on a par 3 we watched this guy walk from his ball, to the other end to look at behind the hole, walking all over the green looking at it from about 4 different angles. Then finally knocked it 15 feet past the hole. Infuriating.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Head Pro

why didn't you join up with the 2 ball?
    2017 Handicap monthly progress - Apr 8.9 May 9.5 June 7.3 July 7.0 Aug 6.1 Sept 6.7

Slow play is without doubt the biggest frustration for the majority of club golfers. I'm fortunate in that my club employs good marshals on the weekend to keep the field moving. Rarely have a round over 4 hours because the marshals are on top of groups falling behind. Good poster in our changing room;

Thought for the day - Play just behind the game in front, not just in front of the game behind.
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

Playing not bad to turn and playing partners decide to leave (in a comp). Wait at tenth tee and three groups wouldnt let me join them or split up to let me join. 4 group let me join but by this 30 min wait i had decided to leave the club. Still makes my blood boil. Cant type what i really want to say but u get the point
    Last edited by bigslice; 13-Jul-2017 at 11:05.
    www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk/
    https://twitter.com/IrvineGC

Machrihanish Dunes Golf Club

Adams Xtd 12 degree driver
    Adams xtd 18 degree fairway

Adams Super DHY 24 stiff
    Mizuno MX 200 5-Pw PX 5.5
    Mizuno MPR 12 Black 50/06
    Mizuno MPR 12 54
    Srixon WG 504 58/8
    Scotty Cameron 2012 California Fastback
    Winter putter ping nome!!

and a v easy owner

handicap 12

That's disgraceful. Why would you want to be a member of a club like that anyway.

you should still report it to the General Manager. He needs to know as i'm sure it's not what he wants club members to be doing.
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

Yeah, both of them walking off at once and leaving you on your own?? What's that all about?
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Maybe the groups in front of you were also getting held-up.