Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Putting distance control drills/method

Hi all,

Looking for drills and perhaps a method to improve putting distance control.

It's become clear in recent months that this is my weakness. I'm hitting loads of GIR and giving far too many back to the field with useless putting. I can read the green OK and can hit the line I want, but distance control is what costs me. The faster the green, the more I struggle.

I don't really have a method, which may be a cause of the problem. I pick a line and hit about as far as I feel I should. Not working evidently. Anyone had similar issues and managed to improve using a particular method/practice routine?
    Cobra ZL 9.5 driver - Motore F1 Stiff
    Cobra S3 15 3 wood - Stiff
    Nike CPR 18 hybrid - Stiff
    Adams Idea Pro CB1 4-GW - Project X 6.0
    Vokeys 54 & 58
    Odyssey Versa # 7
    h/c - 18.0>18.1>17.2>17.3>17.4>17.5

Re: Putting distance control drills/method

I always think to myself, if i was rolling the ball at the hole with my hands, how hard would i roll the ball. And then i think about this just before i make my stroke. Helps me to control the pace and get an idea how hard to hit the ball. It seems to work with me and my putting has drastically improved
    H/C: 16.9 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: Ping G LS tec. 3 wood: TM M2 HL Hybrids: TM M2 3, TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Tour Rookie

I work on a few stock backswing distances - inside foot, outside foot, a bit outside....

It's all about rhythm, once I am dialed in, the same backswing then does pretty much exactly the same distance.

I dial it in on the practice green for a couple of minutes before going out so I know far it goes with the conditions of the day (shades of aimpoint ) . I suspect a few will mock the lack of 'feel' involved, but if I have a putt of 10 paces on the first green, then I know I'll have a pretty good chance of getting it within the required 2ft range to avoid the dreaded 'trey'

Obviously, striking the same point on the putter and having a good rhythm are important. There are little exercises for these that you can work on.

Journeyman Pro

real big key to consistent distance control is a stroke with a repeatable tempo (that 1 ...... 2 tempo/rhythm back & through)

so 'distances' on the green are not found by trying to 'hit' the ball harder or softer but by the length of the stroke while the tempo that 1 ...... 2 stays constant whatever length the stroke is - tempo is individual to a large extent tends to fall in with the ways folk move about naturally how they speak etc

good ways to key in or hone tempo is just by finding a flat straight 15' putt place an alignment stick(club) some 18" to 2' behind the hole at right angles to the putt

take say 3 balls & find the 'length' of backstroke/throughstroke as you count '1' at the drawback - & '2' as the putter moves through the ball that will get the ball to hole but without hitting the stick behind
    get a feel for that tempo the exact time it takes to say 1 ...... 2 with the key being noticing how far the putterhead moves back (can do this in 'where' is the putterhead in relation to the trail foot at the end of the backstroke that gives the best results for that distance)

so say you next try a 25' putt (same goal reach hole don't hit stick) you keep the tempo of the count exactly the same the change of direction of the putter at '1' & contact through the ball at '2' but you know the putter head will have to move a tad further so past where it was in relation to the trail foot with the 15' putt - that ways to the exact same tempo count 1 ...... 2 the putter head will be moving faster through the whole stroke as it's traveling further - but it's doing so smoothly so no hit at no trying to actively accelerate the putterhead into ball

some folks can count 1 ...... 2 (to themselves) to find that tempo other folks find using the 'tempo cell phone app' an easier ways though many find the noise of the tick or click from the app a tad off putting (no pun intended)

thing that kills distance control on the greens is trying to take the putterhead back the same distance for whatever length of putt & trying to actively accelerate the putterhead on the forwards stroke to 'hit' the ball harder
    Last edited by the_coach; 10-Jul-2017 at 15:56.
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M2 9.5 M 7M3 X-S w73g
    3metal:TM M2 3m M 80M4 X-S w86g
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3h 20 Altus HY T X-S w91g
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46 bounce 8 KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52 bounce 8 KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58 bounce 8 KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

Got a lesson on Wednesday on putting pace. Since doing a certain much loved/loathed putting system I've had more lip outs than ever before, another 3 this weekend gone, so I just need to get the pace right.
    H4H - HC Challenge

Khamelion 20.3 -> 19 (19.3)

Bazzatron 20 -> ???

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by thesheriff View Post
    Hi all,

Looking for drills and perhaps a method to improve putting distance control.

It's become clear in recent months that this is my weakness. I'm hitting loads of GIR and giving far too many back to the field with useless putting. I can read the green OK and can hit the line I want, but distance control is what costs me. The faster the green, the more I struggle.

I don't really have a method, which may be a cause of the problem. I pick a line and hit about as far as I feel I should. Not working evidently. Anyone had similar issues and managed to improve using a particular method/practice routine?
    I line up the putt, choose the line and get set up behind the ball.

From that point on, I forget about line (as it's already dealt with) and just focus on the hole. I look at the hole, and then glance back at the ball and pull the trigger straight away.

I don't consciously think about how hard to hit it, I just hit it. When I think about it I get it wrong, badly wrong.

This was a Dave Stockton tip and it works very well for me.

I'd liken it to throwing a ball; you don't think about how hard you need to throw it while throwing, you just do it while focusing on your target.

I realise that's not a practice drill, but it works. As a good practice drill, I putt with my right hand on the club only. It's very good for practicing your release of the club.
    Handicap: 12

Whenever I'm practicing my putting I concentrate almost exclusively on pace.
    I start with a 20 footer. Not trying to hole it, just hitting it a set distance. Then I try to hit it a touch further, then a touch further etc etc...
    Then I'll hit another ball and try to hit progressively shorter
    Rinse, repeat...
    Works for me...
    Epic 9
    Fusion 3w 15
    Big Bertha 5w 19
    Big Bertha 4h 22
    Legacy Black 5-PW
    Apex GW
    MD2 54/14 , 58/14c
    ProType 2-Ball

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Assistant Pro

Another vote for

'distance is controlled by length of the swing and not how hard you hit it'

On a flat level part of the practice green, put a tee peg in the ground situated as the point you wish to swing back to and another twice that distance in front . Swing between the two points and with a few balls (identical type at minimum, preferably same make and type). Measure how far you hit the ball and repeat for different tee peg positions.

Not sure where I got the tip from but I stand by the ball and look directly at the hole and feel the length of stroke and tempo I need to make it. You do need to be careful to be away from the ball as I did manage to hit it in a practice game. I then pick my point and try and replicate what I felt in practice. Working rather well at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by pendodave View Post
    I work on a few stock backswing distances - inside foot, outside foot, a bit outside....

...I suspect a few will mock the lack of 'feel' involved
    Not at all, even feel needs a calibration point. I am a total feel putter but I will use this to get my feel dialled in from now on. Really good tip!

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Not sure where I got the tip from but I stand by the ball and look directly at the hole and feel the length of stroke and tempo
    This is how I was taught to putt. My routine is two practice putts looking at the hole only, no matter what distance. Then pull trigger on the real one.
    Playing at Cambridge Lakes, practising my short game with my V-Easy and my Ping Zing Redwood (Putter for life)

Chandlers Ford Golf Academy Club Champion (Scratch) 2012, Inactive Handicap: 12

Three Goals Method- My Game plan