Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Youngest Captain

Or current Mr Vice has been on the look out for a victim to follow him as Mr Vice (then Captain) and announced to those of us having a beer on Sunday that it was to be Magic Mike, who was there with him. It actually fair took my breath away. Why? Well it's a brave move, as he (MM) is, well I'm not sure, but I think he's about 26 years old. I shook his hand and congratulated him. He was very upbeat and positive about it. It will, I think, prove to be a popular choice as MM is well liked amongst the younger element. How will this go down with the old trumpers???? I'm sure we'll soon find out.
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy
    Balls - Nike PD Soft, when using new in comps. Will be Callaway Supersoft next season

Re: Youngest Captain

i suppose in theory there should be no reason why someone this yound should not be Club Captain.

But at most clubs its a reward for years of tireless work on the committee and for the helping run the club, not sure this would be the case in this instance
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Journeyman Pro Green Bay Hacker's Avatar

Last year's captain, this year's and his vice are all about the 30 mark. It seems to have had a beneficial effect as we have gained a number of new younger members.
    G20, Cobra S9.1 3 wood, TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood, Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid, Ping G20 irons 6-PW, Titleist 52,56 and 60 Vokey wedges, Scotty Futura X..

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    But at most clubs its a reward for years of tireless work on the committee and for the helping run the club, not sure this would be the case in this instance
    This. Its a reward for longevity at my club, they look down the members list and the committee ask the person who has been the member longest to be the VC and Capt.
    In The Bag & Club:
    • Driver - Titleist 913D2 9.5° - Diamana 62 S+ Blue
    • Fairway Wood - Cobra King F7 15.5° Draw Bias - Fujikura Pro 65S
    • Hybrid - Titleist 816H1 19° - Diamana S+ 70 Silver
    • Irons - Titleist AP2 716 4 - PW - Dynamic Gold XP 115 S300 - Std Length, 1° Upright
    • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 50°, 54° & 58° all V-MG
    • Putter - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2
    • Balls - Vice Pro+
    • HCP 2017 - 12.4 > 12.0 > 11.4 > 11.6
    • Sandbach Golf Club
    • www.sandbachgolfclub.co.uk

Money List Winner

For me it is a very brave move and as you mentioned the young uns will like it. For a game that is struggling to attract young uns, it is possibly a step in the right direction. Cannot see it catching on at all with some of the stuffy clubs but good luck to the lad.

Depends on the role of the Captain... at some clubs it is a ceremonial and social role...others it's (in effect) the CEO.

So it depends on the requirement and the skills of the individual, rather than just age.... and from what you tell us about the Comp Committees, does anyone stay around after their year in office?
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Could be good for the club, bringing younger blood through the system. Tough to do though. Being Captain takes up a lot of time. I wouldn't fancy it unless I was retired, not convinced then either.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Cobra Baffler 5w, Nike Covert Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Jates12 View Post
    This. Its a reward for longevity at my club, they look down the members list and the committee ask the person who has been the member longest to be the VC and Capt.
    ooh er, we have an honoury member who has just turned 104
    Driver - Callaway XR 2016
    Hybrid - 22 Callaway XR
    3,5 & 7 wood - Callaway XR
    Irons currently - Ping G10 - Soon to be Titleist AP1's courtesy of GM and Titleist
    Scotty squareback

Our Captain is always a long serving club/comittee member, which is how it should be in my opinion. The problem with having a "younger" Captain is the time needed to dedicate to the job. Our Captain last year was someone in the mid forties, and whilst he did fulfil all his duties, he freely admitted after he hadn't quite expected to hardly see his kids the whole year of his office and quite how demanding it would be as Captain.
    Forever trying.

I like the idea but agree the new incumbent has to be able to dedicate a huge amount of time into the role and will also be required to be at the club most days especially weekends as it's expected, certainly at my club. I think it's forward thinking and will inevitably put a few senior noses out of joint but if no-one tries these things how do clubs change concepts, develop and move forward