Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sky Sports Golf

Re: Sky Sports Golf

And Sky wonder why so many now watch sports through less legitimate means.

They paid just over £4bn for the Premier League rights and expect those who have a golf, cricket etc interest to subsidise the football channel.

I think it's a step forward in terms of what they're doing however the pricing isn't right.
    In the Bag:

TaylorMade M2 Driver w/ Oban Kiyoshi HB Shaft
    TaylorMade M2 3 Wood
    Titleist 816H1 17Deg Hybrid
    Titleist 816H1 20 Deg Hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 Irons 5-PW
    Edel Trapper Wedges (52/56/60)
    Edel E-2 Putter

My reoccurring nightmare is that should I drop dead my wife will sell my golf gear based on the price I told her I paid....

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by road2ruin View Post
    And Sky wonder why so many now watch sports through less legitimate means.

They paid just over £4bn for the Premier League rights and expect those who have a golf, cricket etc interest to subsidise the football channel.

I think it's a step forward in terms of what they're doing however the pricing isn't right.
    and how can they justify keeping the sky prices so high when they lost the champs league? more for less
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by GreiginFife View Post
    Quite simply because when the CL rights were won there was no increase in subscription directly attributed to that. So why would a business offer a reduction for something that never had an increase associated.

Sky are a business first and foremost and have made a mess of the EPL rights strategy which has resulted in the need to redefine the pricing and packaging structure. The rights costs were never expected to spike like they did for a number of years yet but the money factory that is English football (the cycle of which someone described perfectly earlier in the thread about fan demand/ultimate cost) has pushed it quicker than expected.
    But with most things Sky people will find a way to hate them or moan about them. They don't offer choice, people complain. They offer choice, people still complain.

I often see it written on here that if you don't like it then don't buy/subscribe/follow/read it (delete as appropriate).
    they increased their prices when they lost the champs league tho? not justified
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter

Quote Originally Posted by pauljames87 View Post
    and how can they justify keeping the sky prices so high when they lost the champs league? more for less
    Quite simply because when the CL rights were won there was no increase in subscription directly attributed to that. So why would a business offer a reduction for something that never had an increase associated.

Sky are a business first and foremost and have made a mess of the EPL rights strategy which has resulted in the need to redefine the pricing and packaging structure. The rights costs were never expected to spike like they did for a number of years yet but the money factory that is English football (the cycle of which someone described perfectly earlier in the thread about fan demand/ultimate cost) has pushed it quicker than expected.
    But with most things Sky people will find a way to hate them or moan about them. They don't offer choice, people complain. They offer choice, people still complain.

I often see it written on here that if you don't like it then don't buy/subscribe/follow/read it (delete as appropriate).
    A bag full of Mizunos, a Bettinardi and hope. Lots and lots of hope..

www.pitreaviegolfclub.co.uk/

Money List Winner

Because their total outlay is still more than the previous deals that included less.

I don't see hwy people complain tbh, If you want it. Pay for it. If not, don't.

It would cost a lot more to try and watch it all at venue.
    Handicap Challenge: Papas1982 18.1 Vs Fish 18.0

Tour Rookie

I'm sure that the clever people at sky have done the maths, but I'm not sure how it'll work for them.

I can't believe that they will get many new subscribers unless they price the 'other' sports much more competitively. On the other hand, I would imagine that a lot of their current subscribers are footy only and will ditch the rest asap to save a few bob.

Anything that makes people stop and think about how much of their (ever reducing) take home is being shoveled in Mr. Murdoch's direction is surely going to come back to bite them?

they increased their prices when they lost the champs league tho? not justified
    That wasn't the question. And the fact remains there was no increase attributed to the CL directly. Other costs, including the increased PL rights plus other wholesale investments in programming are more directly attributed to price increases.
    Again though, people will have an opinion on Sky (most still thinking Murdoch runs the show) that won't change and everything they do will be the devil.
    Subscribe if you think it's worth it, don't if you don't.
    A bag full of Mizunos, a Bettinardi and hope. Lots and lots of hope..

www.pitreaviegolfclub.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    Also to charge level pricing regardless of which channel isn't right. Whichever shows EPL football should be vastly more than the others since that's where the bulk of their money goes...
    fully agree with this input!!!

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by GreiginFife View Post
    (most still thinking Murdoch runs the show)
    Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox owns a 39.14 per cent controlling stake in the company. OK, so that's lifted from the 100% reliable wikipedia, and I'm sure the exact corporate structures and ownerships are slightly more opaque than this, but lets not pretend that his grubby paws aren't all over it.

Looking at the Sky website it has James Murdoch as Chairman of Sky and top of the pile. Quite a close link to old Rupert.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Cobra Baffler 5w, Nike Covert Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter