Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Type of clubs do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2501 View Post
    Why's that?
    My opinion is that you could benefit from a more forgiving club, that looks virtually the same and provides practically unnoticeable different in feel, which in turn would improve your off centre hits, which for the higher handicapper will happen more frequently than the lower handicapper.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19º stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52º, 55º, 60º)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

It's an interesting one, and something that is very difficult to test. However, from the things I've read and seen online, I'm not convinced that GI irons offer as much forgiveness as it's made out they do. Sure they can give you some help (mainly around launch and spin rather than forgiveness), but at the end of the day a bad swing is going to provide a bad result whether you're using butter knives or chunky GI irons. It's only going to give you so much. So for me it's down to personal preference, use what suits your eye the best. For some that'll be GI irons, for others blades. For me, as soon as I can justify the cost of getting new clubs I'll be moving to blades.
    @DanManley2501 on Twitter

Taylormade M1
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons 4-SW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52* Wedge
    Callaway MD3 58* Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
    Bushnell V4 Slope

Handicap: 14.0

Lancaster GC

It's an interesting one, and something that is very difficult to test. However, from the things I've read and seen online, I'm not convinced that GI irons offer as much forgiveness as it's made out they do. Sure they can give you some help (mainly around launch and spin rather than forgiveness), but at the end of the day a bad swing is going to provide a bad result whether you're using butter knives or chunky GI irons. It's only going to give you so much. So for me it's down to personal preference, use what suits your eye the best. For some that'll be GI irons, for others blades. For me, as soon as I can justify the cost of getting new clubs I'll be moving to blades.

yes I agree , i prefer a smaller headed club and use blades, but two of the guys i play with who are lower than me ( off +1 and 2) both used Ping shovels, G15 and 20
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Yant View Post
    If you are not a single figure golfer and you have blades you are doing your golf a disservice imo.
    This seems to fall in line with the general thinking that all non single figure golfers are poor in all areas of the game. A view that just isn't true in reality. Plenty of non single figure golfers have superb iron games and can and should play any iron they want including blades, unfortunate for them is that other areas of their game are pish and using a blade or a shovel isn't going to help them drive, chip or putt.

Use what gets you the results you want/need.
    A bag full of Mizunos, a Bettinardi and hope. Lots and lots of hope..

www.pitreaviegolfclub.co.uk/

The thing is you can now get clubs that are supposedly for the players that are also forgiving. I use the AP2s and they are the best clubs ive ever hit, The lofts arent really jacked, they are soft as anything but also very forgiving in the longer irons. They dont look chunky and they have next to 0 offset. They cant be too bad if Jordan Spieth is still using them and last time I checked he was a half decent player!
    In The Bag & Club:
    • Driver - Titleist 913D2 9.5° - Diamana 62 S+ Blue
    • Fairway Wood - Cobra King F7 15.5° Draw Bias - Fujikura Pro 65S
    • Hybrid - Titleist 816H1 19° - Diamana S+ 70 Silver
    • Irons - Titleist AP2 716 4 - PW - Dynamic Gold XP 115 S300 - Std Length, 1° Upright
    • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 50°, 54° & 58° all V-MG
    • Putter - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2
    • Balls - Vice Pro+
    • HCP 2017 - 12.4 > 12.0 > 11.4 > 11.6
    • Sandbach Golf Club
    • www.sandbachgolfclub.co.uk

I started playing in 2012 (a late starter) at 43.

Decided I wanted to play golf, and literally walked in to AG Exeter and bought the whole lot, FJ shoes and I saw a nice looking set of Wilson Deep Red clubs (was a full set and bag).
    Played with these for about a year, and they did me fine.
    After joining a club, the pro there had a brand new (well the 7 iron was used) set of AP2 712 (4-PW).
    I knew they were far too good for my level of play, but at the price, I made the purchase. Over the next few weeks i replace the driver, 'hybrids', vokey wedges and a new putter.

I know I won't be the next Rory or Danny, but I enjoy playing and like my clubs!

I look at it like driving a car in a way.

Learn in a Ferrari car, and you can drive most cars, but if you learn in a mini metro, and then take a Ferrari out, you could well kill yourself
    Last edited by Lwatson-jones; 11-Jul-2017 at 10:25.
    In my Bag
    Titleist AP1 712 4-PW
    Titleist 54 & 60 Vokey SM4 Wedges
    Taylormade R15 10.5 Driver
    Cobra BIO-Cell 17.5 fairway wood
    Mizuno Putter
    Umbrella

28 -----> 27.2 -----> 26.1 ------> 26.7
    Slowly Slowly coming down AND up

Assistant Pro

10 years ago I got down to a 9 handicap and was using Hogan FTX Apex clubs. When my kids were born I stopped playing and only recently started again. I got the clubs out and played a bit and realised they weren't helping me at all. I bought a set of Wilson D200 irons and immediately they made a difference. I felt more confidence the miss hits weren't as bad (but still bad).

The Wilson's don't feel as nice but they are certainly easier to hit. One day I may go back but it's not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jates12 View Post
    The thing is you can now get clubs that are supposedly for the players that are also forgiving. I use the AP2s and they are the best clubs ive ever hit, The lofts arent really jacked, they are soft as anything but also very forgiving in the longer irons. They dont look chunky and they have next to 0 offset. They cant be too bad if Jordan Spieth is still using them and last time I checked he was a half decent player!
    Which is fine, but they arent blades. I like blades, always have done. Its not how good the clubs are, or how forgiving, as i am not fussed, its what they look like.

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    Which is fine, but they arent blades. I like blades, always have done. Its not how good the clubs are, or how forgiving, as i am not fussed, its what they look like.
    Totally agree, wouldn't play with ugly clubs, no matter what forgiveness they promise

That why I will only use a traditional shaped putter, I think these huge monstrosities of things are horrendous, I'd ban them on aesthetic grounds if I could.

I know it's completely irrational, but yeah, that's the way I am
    Back after a sabbatical..........

Cobra F-Speed LD 9.5*
    Cobra F-Speed LD 3W
    Cobra Baffler 20* Hybrid
    Cobra Pro-CB 4-PW - P/X Rifle 5.5
    Titleist Vokey 52/56/60
    Taylormade Rossa Daytona 35"

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    I've looked though this tread and pretty much everyone that has relied is not using blades, but cavity backs or a couple with a muscle back. not the same thing as a blade.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017