Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Assistant Pro

Type of clubs do you use?

I'm wondering if anyone plays with blade/better player clubs and has a handicap of 15+

I play off 16 and a few months ago bought some Nike vapor pro irons when Nike was selling them off cheap. (With the sale, vouchers I had and cashback they cost me less than 80)

I also have some Adams idea black cb3 I was given when I started out last year, I find that I hit the nikes just as well as the adams, if I hit the nikes slightly off centre I might lose 10-20 yards.

My main area of weakness is driving and probably only hit 4/14 fairways on average. If I use my hybrid to tee off I'll hit 12/14 and I normally shoot high 70s so atm most of my shots are wasted chipping out from the trees after a wayward tee shot.

Anyway I've used these nikes for a few months now and don't feel I'd gain any advantage using so called game improvement wedges, but I'm no expert and probably something I should discuss with the club pro, but does anyone have an opinion, that if your ball striking is decent (I can regularly play a full round with no duff iron shots.) is there any advantage using game improvement irons over blades? Distance possibly but there is a 2 degree difference in loft between equivalent irons so can't really compare a 7 iron from both sets. I got the ball reasonably far anyway so can happy reach most par 4s on my course with my hybrid then an iron.

Many thanks
    Nike Vapor speed Ping G30 3 wood Ping G25 4 wood Benross 3 hybrid Nike Vapor pro 4-Pw Titleist SM6 50 wedge Cleveland 54 wedge Cleveland 58 wedge Odyssey 2 ball Handicap 2017 20>20.1>19.5>18>15.5

Re: Type of clubs do you use?

I played Mizuno MP60s from 18 to 12. They are a proper muscle back iron. Its not the iron game that looses me shots its around the greens. the only thing youll get from GI irons is more distance from a bad shot.
    In The Bag & Club:
    • Driver - Titleist 913D2 9.5 - Diamana 62 S+ Blue
    • Fairway Wood - Cobra King F7 15.5 Draw Bias - Fujikura Pro 65S
    • Hybrid - Titleist 816H1 19 - Diamana S+ 70 Silver
    • Irons - Titleist AP2 716 4 - PW - Dynamic Gold XP 115 S300 - Std Length, 1 Upright
    • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 50, 54 & 58 all V-MG
    • Putter - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2
    • Balls - Vice Pro+
    • HCP 2017 - 12.4 > 12.0 > 11.4 > 11.6
    • Sandbach Golf Club
    • www.sandbachgolfclub.co.uk

I'm currently playing FG Tour V2 irons. Got them March. Find very little difference in yardages but dispersion has improved and I just feel more confident looking down at them even though they look more compact. Was an 18 handicap when I started using them and have been cut to 14 over past two weeks.

Confidence with the irons has played a small part in that but it's actually short game improvements that have had the main impact. To be fair the irons are known for being quiet forgiving despite being aimed at "better players".

Don't know if MP-57s count but they got me from 17-11

Could have been lower if I didn't kept starting and stopping the game.

I would guess that when most the members of this forum started playing golf we didn't have a choice of iron type. You could only get blades, and they were no where near as forgiving as a modern blade. They hurt if you didn't hit them properly. To answer your question, use what you like the look of at the address position. Golf is a confidence thing.
    Handicap:

I played Titleist blades off of a higher handicap, a double-edged sword really in that it helped me learn to hit the ball better due to the lack of forgiveness, but it was also a potential card wrecker as at my level of ability when using them it was far too easy to throw away shots with diabolical strikes.

I'm now playing my Cobra Pro-CB irons, which I was using until I stopped playing 3-years ago, and Ive got back into the swing of it reasonably well shooting 95 in my first game, I think this type of iron is a perfect compromise for those whose game just doesn't justify the sort of sticks a Cat-1 golfer would use with skill, and the ugly chunky, GI Irons which Ive never personally liked.

Should add that I'm going back to my last society handicap of 13, but I got from 28 to 13 using these sort of clubs.
    Back after a sabbatical..........

Cobra F-Speed LD 9.5*
    Cobra F-Speed LD 3W
    Cobra Baffler 20* Hybrid
    Cobra Pro-CB 4-PW - P/X Rifle 5.5
    Titleist Vokey 52/56/60
    Taylormade Rossa Daytona 35"

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by srixon 1 View Post
    I would guess that when most the members of this forum started playing golf we didn't have a choice of iron type. You could only get blades, and they were no where near as forgiving as a modern blade. They hurt if you didn't hit them properly. To answer your question, use what you like the look of at the address position. Golf is a confidence thing.
    Crikey! Are you lot all that old?!

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    Crikey! Are you lot all that old?!
    When i first started ping was at g10! :L
    In The Bag & Club:
    • Driver - Titleist 913D2 9.5 - Diamana 62 S+ Blue
    • Fairway Wood - Cobra King F7 15.5 Draw Bias - Fujikura Pro 65S
    • Hybrid - Titleist 816H1 19 - Diamana S+ 70 Silver
    • Irons - Titleist AP2 716 4 - PW - Dynamic Gold XP 115 S300 - Std Length, 1 Upright
    • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 50, 54 & 58 all V-MG
    • Putter - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2
    • Balls - Vice Pro+
    • HCP 2017 - 12.4 > 12.0 > 11.4 > 11.6
    • Sandbach Golf Club
    • www.sandbachgolfclub.co.uk

I played with MP52's as a 23 handicapper down to 19, then had RSi TP's again a muscle back for the last year down to 17, I've now got fitted AP2's and I'm very happy.

Irons haven't lost me shots, my inconsistent driving always has.

Assistant Pro

I feel bad reading this as ive gone from the MP 25's to the 900 hot metals and ive got down to 8 again. Lost all confidence with the better player irons and the par 3's were killing my game as for instance a 6 iron would go anything between 125-170. Fair play to you higher handicappers able to find the middle alot more than i did.
    Callaway Epic Driver, Callaway XR16 3 Wood, Callaway Diablo 7 wood, Callaway X-Hot 2 Hybrid, Mizuno MP H5 4 iron, Mizuno JPX900 5-PW, Mizuno S5 51 & 56 wedges, Odyssey Putter, Handicap: 8.8 Woldingham Golf Club.