Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tour Winner

Re: New Irons for Fast Swing

Quote Originally Posted by Coffey View Post
    Yes they do, their machine always over estimates the distance. I went for a 3 wood fitting and was getting 255 carry off the deck with my 3wood. I have never ever hit a 3 wood that far and doubt i ever will, average on Game Golf is 214.

It is the same with the driver, on their machine (different store) I was getting most around the 280/290 mark and my average on Game Golf is 252.

When going to American golf, it is worth bringing your own club to test against, at least then you are getting a comparison between the two and you can work out the difference that way
    even with your own club to compare against. setting a tail wind when you have their club in hand is only one click of the mouse

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    even with your own club to compare against. setting a tail wind when you have their club in hand is only one click of the mouse
    Well that's true. I'd like to think they wouldn't do that but I guess some will do anything for a sale.
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

I live in Cheshire so is anyone aware of anywhere else other than American Golf to get my swing analysed... who aren't a bunch of con artists?

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    So what? I've found personally, here in Aberdeen that none of the fitters do that.

But if they *did* then it would take someone of enormous idiocy not to know how far they normally hit their own 7 iron, see how far trackman/flightscope is saying it's going, and see the difference.

Ultimately, what your own club does on screen v. what the others you're testing do is all that matters. A side by side comparison is still a side by side comparison if *weather conditions* are effected on the machine.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rmacnair View Post
    I live in Cheshire so is anyone aware of anywhere else other than American Golf to get my swing analysed... who aren't a bunch of con artists?
    go down to the belfry. i personally know all the fitters and none of them work on commission or targets and are as honest as they come

Quote Originally Posted by rmacnair View Post
    http://www.tourxgolf.co.uk/

Challenge Tour Pro

My experience with AG is to take it with a pinch of salt. It is very difficult to tell what they have their testing facilities set up as - could be down hill, hard ground wind behind etc. The only true measure is out on the golf course. So go out when it is quiet and hit a few balls with different clubs on a few holes and try and gauge what distances you hit.

In terms of buying clubs, speak to your pro when having lessons and they should guide you into what shaft etc is best for your swing. Then go to AG and test clubs - what one feels the best, what one gives you the best flight, the best feel, consistency and dispersion. But really it is down to what club gives you the confidence. Don't worry about distances.
    2017 Handicap. Jan - 25.1. April - 19.8. May - 20.0. July - 19.7. “Golf is about how well you accept, respond to, and score with your misses much more than it is a game of your perfect shots.” Dr Bob Rotella “Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.” Sam Snead"I know where I am and I know which way I am going. Only winning will satisfy me. You don't think it is possible? It is very possible!" Seve

The Belfry as in Birmingham? Bit of a trek for me c. 2 hours drive

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by HughJars View Post
    So what? I've found personally, here in Aberdeen that none of the fitters do that.

But if they *did* then it would take someone of enormous idiocy not to know how far they normally hit their own 7 iron, see how far trackman/flightscope is saying it's going, and see the difference.

Ultimately, what your own club does on screen v. what the others you're testing do is all that matters. A side by side comparison is still a side by side comparison if *weather conditions* are effected on the machine.
    no its not still a side by side comparison. when your hitting into an open range i challenge anyone that can see how far the ball accurately went past the 150 matker.
    so its not difficult to be mislead. i agree with what your saying if the range have reference points but many just have boards or a flag

Q-School Graduate

I see nothing wrong with a player saying he can hit an 8 iron 180 yards.

I know within about 2 years of starting to play I used to hit the same length as Jack Nicklaus. My trouble was I never hit it in the same direction as him.

AS to OP question. If you are going for new clubs I agree with the view that custom fit is the correct way to go. Even at the age of over 60 my recent custom fit the fitter said I should consider stiff shafts. The choice of shafts is a big determining factor about shaft flex.