Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

New Irons for Fast Swing

First post so please be gentle.

I started playing 2 months ago having played briefly when I was 14 (I'm no 30). Had a couple of lessons on feeling good; slice is disappearing and getting plenty of loft on my irons.

Problem is I have a very fast swing. Not measured it but as an example i hit my 8iron about 180yards carry (no that's not a typo). I've recently bought a 2nd hand adams xtd which is great for me and hitting it well, but my irons are inherited callaway big Bertha x-12 with regular flex graphite shafts. So in the last few days 2 heads have snapped off the shafts (9i and 4i off the tee). I know I need steel shafts but what flex? S or xs.

I don't want to spend more than 400 but also don't need 3i or 2i as I have a 22deg hybrid that does a good job.

Any thoughts? Make, Model, where to buy

Head Pro

Re: New Irons for Fast Swing

Get a basic fitting at American golf, it's free. Or go to a reputable fitter in your area

welcome to the madhouse

180 yards carry with an 8 iron after 2 months, you must be one helluva natural

Did you ask your pro for recommendations?

If those carry distances are consistent then its hard to think you want anything but X flex, but theres more to it than just flex. Weight is as if not more important and if you are swinging it super fast you may want something heavier too.

Are you tall? are you likely to need longer/more upright irons?

Ideally if you can try and get a fitting with no commitment to buy, that would give you a decent guide. If looking to buy off the shelf blind then I would try and find something with a heavyish x flex shaft in (but im guessing based on 2 numbers)
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

stopped reading this when you said you hit an 8 iron 180 yards........
    TM Aero Burner Driver Fujikura Pro Xlr8 63 Tour xTM M1 3 wood another Fujikura shaftSrixon Z765 3-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 130 shaftsTM Spider Red Ltd Edition Putter Cleveland RTX-3 wedges 50 54 58 Tour Satin

Journeyman Pro

would get on a Launch Monitor with the clubs you currently have with a PGA Pro hit 6 balls through the bag & find out what the true "average carry distance" for each club is (so not overall distance - but where the ball first lands)

then will have a better idea through the Pro's advice as to what 'spec' clubs you should be looking at - then with that knowledge can search through used club outlets
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M2 9.5 M 7M3 X-S w73g
    3metal:TM M2 3m M 80M4 X-S w86g
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3h 20 Altus HY T X-S w91g
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46 bounce 8 KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52 bounce 8 KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58 bounce 8 KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

I'd buy something with very good grips.
    Cooden Beach Centenary Betterball Champion 2012 with Richart Handicap 13.0 Member http://www.coodenbeachgc.com/ Nike Covert 2.0 VRS Driver, 3 & 5 woods.TaylorMade RSi1 4-LWYes Tracy Putter. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE KNOB.

It won't be expensive, he only needs to carry 6 clubs 😜😂😂

Welcome by the way, you'll fit in fine with those statements 😎

An 8 iron 180 yards?????
    The only other person I've ever come across who can hit it that sort of distance is Paperboy.
    And he's on the verge of giving up.
    Cooden Beach Centenary Betterball Champion 2012 with Richart Handicap 13.0 Member http://www.coodenbeachgc.com/ Nike Covert 2.0 VRS Driver, 3 & 5 woods.TaylorMade RSi1 4-LWYes Tracy Putter. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE KNOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy View Post
    An 8 iron 180 yards?????
    The only other person I've ever come across who can hit it that sort of distance is Paperboy.
    And he's on the verge of giving up.
    Are you sure, never had him down as a big iron hitter and played with him loads of times. Now Cameron yes, possibly Mendie but you can count them on 1 hand, unless you listen to the tripe some wield out on here then its most of the forum 😜

My clubs can A,B,C on them for me, as long as I know how far each one goes I don't care if it's an 8i or a pure 4i, as long as it gets me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Are you sure, never had him down as a big iron hitter and played with him loads of times.
    Oh he's told me loads of times how far he can hit it.....