Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Assistant Pro

Portstewart this week

Any view from guys who know the course, what score we are likely to see, be in-contention at this week's Irish Open? Looking tranquil Thursday and Friday, with a 15mph westerly across the weekend as per https://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:00000.24.03914

Re: Portstewart this week

I remember the opening holes being very picturesque but also very tricky.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19º stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52º, 55º, 60º)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

I'd expect some low scores especially on the back 9. Wouldn't be surprised to see -20 win it if weather is half decent.

Was up there yesterday. First time I've seen the course so wouldn't consider myself an expert. Once the rain cleared there was barely any wind and conditions were great.

There are a lot of raised tee boxes with players taking driving irons or 3 woods off the tee. Didn't see many drivers being hit at all. I would say that it is not an advantage to be a big hitter, those who hit fairways and greens will score well. Also a lot of doglegs to the right which may suit the player who can easily fade the ball.

I have to say, the course was amazing. Should be a great test of golf and if you play well, there is a good score out there.
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Heading up now for the pro am.

Some course ,I've played it close on 30 times and could happily play there every day. They've built some new tees to change the players thoughts on some holes, its all about keeping your ball in play around there but if the wind stays down 20 under could win it if it gets up 10 under could sneak it
    www.scotscraiggolfclub.com

Hcp :- Embarrassing

Agree with that. Keeping it in play is key. It's a tight, beautiful course but not overly long.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19º stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52º, 55º, 60º)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

Assistant Pro

Thanks for the responses. palindromicbob reckons -20. Others agree if forecast is fare? I saw plenty of water on the courses yesterday from ET coverage I saw.

I don't make predictions, these things are too hard to call, but if forced I'd say the weather changes over the weekend and having shot 66, 67, 70, 69, leader in the clubhouse Thunderbear Olesen is joined by overnight leader Paul Dunne in a playoff having stumbled to a final round 72 to also post -16. The first playoff hole is halved but at the second time of asking Olesen stiffs his approach and Dunne can only two putt from the fringe.

But like I say, wouldn't like to be any more specific than that.
    1W, 3W, 2h, 3h Titleist 915
    4i Titleist 716 TM-B
    5i - PW Mizuno MP54
    51, 55* Vokey SM2
    Odyssey RX7
    H/c 10.2

Forecast for the weekend is light winds and showers on Friday. Humidity is quiet high and given recent weather the course won't be likely to bake hard. If Royal Portrush in 2012 could have a -18 winner given the horrendous weather then I'd be surprised if my prediction is far off the mark. Could even be lower.