Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 109
  1. #91
    Journeyman Pro srixon 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    2,066

    Re: Strawberries and cream anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyface View Post
    Many years ago I joined a tennis club, I was new to the area. It consisted on three brand new all weather courts and a brand new large shed (clubhouse) which they were chuffed with. During one club night, I'd only been there about two months, a nice lady called to me from the clubhouse asking if I wanted to go in the draw for Wimbledon tickets. I replied "ooo that would be lovely" or summat like that. 20 minutes later, in the middle of a lads doubles, she called out again, " Hi CF (well not CF)...you've got men's final, do you want it?" You betcha bottom I do!!!!! 50 for men's final!!!!!! I got to see Agassi V Inanisavitch. 5 sets of pure drama !!!! The tickets were selling for 2k for the final outside on the day.
    Utterly brilliant. It was the best tennis club I've belonged to. We used to have a really brilliant laugh on club nights. Mainly at my expense, I was rubbish compared to some of the others.
    😃😃😃

  2. #92
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    5,256

    Re: Strawberries and cream anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Shocking throwing in of the towel from Williams in the final. My wife turned over to watch the second set and she did not break sweat.

    Equal pay for that. Baaahhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Had this convo with a few freiends, as we usually do. Imo it should be some sort of pay per ratio.

    ne that sets or games or minutes played. Then at end of tournament said ratio is used with a scale for each round you've got through. Interestingly this year the two winners had more compariable routes due to Federer qualifying so easily. He only played approx 25% more games.

    A froend end of mine remarked how it was almost 50% extra for Murray on a previous occasion.
    Handicap Challenge: Papas1982 18.1 Vs Fish 18.0

  3. #93
    Grand Slam Winner murphthemog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    20,237

    Re: Strawberries and cream anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papas1982 View Post
    Had this convo with a few freiends, as we usually do. Imo it should be some sort of pay per ratio.

    ne that sets or games or minutes played. Then at end of tournament said ratio is used with a scale for each round you've got through. Interestingly this year the two winners had more compariable routes due to Federer qualifying so easily. He only played approx 25% more games.

    A froend end of mine remarked how it was almost 50% extra for Murray on a previous occasion.
    So Murray should be paid more because he is a bit rubnish. That works.

  4. #94
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    5,256

    Re: Strawberries and cream anyone?

    How does playing more sets make you rubbish?

    it means he plays in a more competitive sport.

    the simple answer is play all at 5 sets, but that would make the women's game an embarrassment. Look at the final. Williams phoned in the second set. A third would have been a joke.
    Handicap Challenge: Papas1982 18.1 Vs Fish 18.0

  5. #95
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,345

    Re: Strawberries and cream anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    So Murray should be paid more because he is a bit rubnish. That works.

  6. #96
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,345

    Re: Strawberries and cream anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papas1982 View Post
    How does playing more sets make you rubbish?

    it means he plays in a more competitive sport.

    the simple answer is play all at 5 sets, but that would make the women's game an embarrassment. Look at the final. Williams phoned in the second set. A third would have been a joke.
    If you are paid on minutes on court then all the good players will do is string it out to get more money. Daft suggestion as in no other sports are you paid based on time. If that is the case marathon runners would be paid 100 times more than Usain Bolt, all footballers should be paid the same as they all play 90 minutes, the last person in F1 gets paid more as they are on the track for longer.....
    Last edited by Hacker Khan; 16-Jul-2017 at 18:20.

  7. #97
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    5,256

    Re: Strawberries and cream anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    If you are paid on minutes on court then all the good players will do is string it out to get more money. Daft suggestion as in no other sports are you paid based on time. If that is the case marathon runners would be paid 100 times more than Usain Bolt, all footballers should be paid the same as they all play 90 minutes, the last person in F1 gets paid more as they are on the track for longer.....
    Not a chance, Federer knows he needs to be fresh to win majors. Do you think he'd have played 5 sets all tournament for a few and risked another major?

    The best want to win. They already have enough cash.

    All those mentioned are paid due to what they contribute financially to their respective sports. The woman's game is subsidised by the mens.

    The better drivers, runners, footballers, racers get more based on how successful they are from a prize pot their sport generates. The woman's game picks from the mens pot. Simply look at the WTA prize pots compered to the mens tour and its clear to see.

    I'm not arguing about how good serena is compared to roger. But as business models, one is covering the other.
    Handicap Challenge: Papas1982 18.1 Vs Fish 18.0

  8. #98
    Tour Winner Golfmmad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Strawberries and cream anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Shocking throwing in of the towel from Williams in the final. My wife turned over to watch the second set and she did not break sweat.

    Equal pay for that. Baaahhhhhhhhhhhh.
    That's a bit harsh.

    Did you not watch the first set?

    It was very close which Garbine Muguruza won 7-5. It could have easily gone the other way.

    In the second set Venus Williams got beaten by the younger, fitter and more powerful player.
    She just couldn't match her and was simply overpowered.

    It certainly wasn't a case of "Throwing in the towel".
    Singing Hills Founders cup holder 2014 with JustOne - glad he was there!

  9. #99
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    7,454

    Re: Strawberries and cream anyone?

    Really? I thought she gave up very early doors, really gave up. She couldn't have been tired, it was only the second set. She mentally gave up. That's pretty unforgivable at pro level. The commentators sounded quite shocked and they struggled to put it into words.

    We'll have to disagree on how we saw that second set.

  10. #100
    Tour Winner Golfmmad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Strawberries and cream anyone?

    We certainly will.
    Singing Hills Founders cup holder 2014 with JustOne - glad he was there!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Black Friday Adidas Deals

Adidas have a superb sale on for Black Friday with 30% off everything - including the already reduced prices on their outlet

November 22, 2017

Black Friday Golf Deals

Black Friday is the busiest time for shoppers to find great deals on the web, there are plenty of golf deals that are on offer on the day and before and after, we have collated the best ones we have found on the internet

November 22, 2017

Black Friday Nike Golf Deals

There are some outstanding offers for men and women on the Nike store this Black Friday

November 22, 2017

Better Than Half-Priced Adidas Adicross Gripmore 2.0 Shoes for 48.97

Check out these super Adidas Adicross Gripmore 2.0 Shoes part of the excellent adidas Black Friday sale

November 22, 2017

Black Friday Deals Best Golf Shoes 2017

Best Golf Shoes 2017 - New technology and styling mean there has never been as much choice in the golf shoe market. Here are 11 of the best golf shoes 2017

November 22, 2017