Assistant Pro

Stopping Early Extension

Anyone came across any ways to stop this from happening?

Started hitting the heel of the club again at the weekend after playing pretty well for the 3-4 months previous

Videoed myself today and can see myself moving my weight forward in the downswing and thats with the thought of keeping my backside back on the downswing. Its as if there is no way I can stop my body from moving forward on the downswing

Watched various youtube videos but can't seem to find a cure for it. For something that should be so easy to stop its turning in to a nightmare once again

Tour Rookie

Re: Stopping Early Extension

I'm no expert and this might not be at all helpful....

However, I would think the early extension is likely caused by another swing issue rather than being the issue itself.

Post a clip of your swing and one of the experts will be able to give you far more useful help.

When I find myself getting the old hosel rockets, I try to shorten my backswing. I often find that stops the you know whats, I guess over-swinging results in an over-the-top swing which for me is the route of all evil.
    Follow me on Twitter: @dufferman

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie23 View Post
    Anyone came across any ways to stop this from happening?

Started hitting the heel of the club again at the weekend after playing pretty well for the 3-4 months previous

Videoed myself today and can see myself moving my weight forward in the downswing and thats with the thought of keeping my backside back on the downswing. Its as if there is no way I can stop my body from moving forward on the downswing

Watched various youtube videos but can't seem to find a cure for it. For something that should be so easy to stop its turning in to a nightmare once again
    I've always thought that the first move should be a transfer of weight to the leading leg (as part of getting the hips out of the way).

Please clarify what you mean by 'forward'.

Assistant Pro

Forward as in moving towards the ball on the downswing

It's not something I tend to do on the practise swings, just seems to be when actually taking the shot it seems to happen

As I said before I can play for months without any issues but seems to be something that keeps on creeping back in to my game every now and again

Assistant Pro

Could be a simple issue of weight balance on your feet at set up. Do you have too much weight on the heels rather than on the ball of your feet.

There's a thread from 30 July on this a few pages down. Good link to a Pete Finch video, plus a detailed reply from The Coach.
    Titleist 910 D3 RIP x-stiff
    Titleist 915F 3W Rogue x-stiff

Mizuno H4 2i DG X100
    Mizuno MP53 3-PW DG X100

Cleveland CG15 DSG 52°, 58°
    Odyssey Sabretooth 33" with VIBE

Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black Footballs
    Titleist RC Cart Bag
    Under Armour Golf Shoes
    Garmin S1
    No official h/c
    PW Swing. 6i Swing. 3i Swing.

Tour Rookie

Here's the link below to the original thread I started. As Piece says check out the earlier post, with a great response as ever from The Coach.

https://youtu.be/zUI_ckgBF_A
    Titleist 915 D2 Driver 10.5 Deg Diamana Blue
    Titleist 915f 3 Fairway Wood Diamana Red
    Cobra DWS Hybrid Aldila NV 65R
    Cleveland CG16 4-PW
    Cleveland CG16 48 Deg GW
    Cleveland Tour Action 53 Deg GW
    Cobra SW
    TaylorMade Ghost Maranello Putter

Handicap 14.4

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
    Here's the link below to the original thread I started. As Piece says check out the earlier post, with a great response as ever from The Coach.

https://youtu.be/zUI_ckgBF_A
    Ye thanks, think this is one of the videos I watched the other day and this is exactly what I am doing and is causing the consistent heel strikes.

Seems like it so should be so easy to fix but for some reason even though my main swing thought is having the feeling of keeping my backside against a wall/stool I still seem to push of it in the downswing. So frustrating!

Your posture at address may be a contributing factor
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself