Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 79
  1. #21
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Do you eat with your hat on?

    My lad gets upset if we have a family meal in the dining room and I tell him A, take your cap off and B put your phone away.

  2. #22
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    6,953

    Re: Do you eat with your hat on?

    I do think this is a generational thing. I was at a wedding in April in Southampton. The weather was hot. When we sat down to eat I started to take my jacket off. "You can't do that" said my wife, "either the groom or the grooms father has to do it first". I was hot and getting sweaty so the jacket came off despite the evil glares from my beloved. Why the heck should every bloke sit there sweating, waiting for a signal to remove jackets? Equally I resented being policed by a female in a very cool summer dress.

    Hat rules, jackets being worn unless notified otherwise, ties etc are etiquette traditions that will disappear in the next 20 years or so as newer generations simply don't care nor understand the point of them. I'm with them
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Cobra Baffler 5w, Nike Covert Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

  3. #23

    Re: Do you eat with your hat on?

    Can you breast feed indoors with your hat on though?

    To be honest, whenever I walk into the clubhouse, I always take my cap off. But I'm a gentleman.

  4. #24
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Do you eat with your hat on?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    I do think this is a generational thing. I was at a wedding in April in Southampton. The weather was hot. When we sat down to eat I started to take my jacket off. "You can't do that" said my wife, "either the groom or the grooms father has to do it first". I was hot and getting sweaty so the jacket came off despite the evil glares from my beloved. Why the heck should every bloke sit there sweating, waiting for a signal to remove jackets? Equally I resented being policed by a female in a very cool summer dress.

    Hat rules, jackets being worn unless notified otherwise, ties etc are etiquette traditions that will disappear in the next 20 years or so as newer generations simply don't care nor understand the point of them. I'm with them
    when I was at the British legion summer ball on Saturday night. I was in my Ted Baker summer tuxedo. Didn't know there were seasonal tunes. It was off inside five mins after the toasts etc. One or two looked at me a bit odd? Don't know if it is a military thing to leave then on, but a few lads collared me and thanked me for taking it off. Apparantly within about 30 seconds another dozen jackets came off. I never noticed.
    incidentally, bro in law arranged the do and his main concern was that people would not wear tuxedos, suit, ball gowns, evening gowns etc etc. He need not worry. Everybody was in there best bib and tucker. Them scruffy military oiks certainly know how to scrub up.

  5. #25
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,561

    Re: Do you eat with your hat on?

    Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    Just out of interest, how old are you? Maybe it's just an age thing.
    I'm 32.

    I should add though, that I actually do remove my hat when going indoors, and I don't think I would sit in a restaurant with a hat on either (unless eating outside).

    However, I wouldn't be bothered if someone else did, nor would I consider them to be rude.

    I think it just isn't something that tends to be drummed into the youth of today. It could well be a lack of awareness of traditional ettiquette as opposed to knowing about it and choosing not to do it (which would be a little bit further along the rudeness scale).
    Handicap: 12

  6. #26
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Do you eat with your hat on?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pathetic Shark View Post
    Can you breast feed indoors with your hat on though?

    To be honest, whenever I walk into the clubhouse, I always take my cap off. But I'm a gentleman.
    I can only speak for myself, but if anyone was breast feeding I woul not notice a hat.
    when we went to Cheshire last month, we were in a posh pub. A woman had a baby that started whinging. She got out what looked like a sling I watched her for a minute wondering what was going off. Apparantly it's some kind of support for holding said guzzling baby. Missi T gave me a bollockin for staring. I never knew what mum was gonna do. Why did she not put up a sign or summat to warn me.

    one of me most embarrassing moments for me was when missi T required these breast cups that fitted in your bra for when you are stopping breast feeding. Apparantly when you are goin onto powder you still leak tiddy milk when the baby cries. So Missis T sends me to the only 24 HR chemist that is open for some breast tiddy cup things.
    It was rammed, it was rammed with women. I got to the front of the queue and everyone in the shop is sniggering coz am asking for god knows what they are called. Then all the mums start asking me questions like how big are her tiddies, (bigger than normal thankfully ) coz these not fit right in her bra. You might want these, then they start talking amongst themselves about leaking tiddies in the middle of the night. I could of died of
    put this in either thread PS 👍

  7. #27
    Tour Rookie Robster59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Newton Mearns
    Posts
    1,316

    Re: Do you eat with your hat on?

    I don't wear a hat in a restaurant, or indoors for that matter. I mean, what's the point. It's head protection after all.
    I do consider it to be bad manners to wear a hat in a restaurant. I also consider it to be bad manners to be using a mobile phone at a restaurant table.
    Maybe I'm old fashioned but I just consider it to be good manners.

    I also don't understand why somebody would wear a hat in a car either. I have a general rule to beware of anybody wearing a hat whilst driving, irrespective of the age of the person wearing the hat. Experience tends to tell me that their driving is, on average, decidedly dodgy.

  8. #28
    Ryder Cup Winner drive4show's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Poole, Dorset
    Posts
    10,232

    Re: Do you eat with your hat on?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    I'm 32.

    I should add though, that I actually do remove my hat when going indoors, and I don't think I would sit in a restaurant with a hat on either (unless eating outside).

    However, I wouldn't be bothered if someone else did, nor would I consider them to be rude.

    I think it just isn't something that tends to be drummed into the youth of today. It could well be a lack of awareness of traditional ettiquette as opposed to knowing about it and choosing not to do it (which would be a little bit further along the rudeness scale).
    Yeah probably an age thing. I'm a bit(!) older than you and I was brought up to remove my hat when indoors. Old habits die hard, wearing a hat indoors seems more acceptable nowadays but I wouldn't do it.

  9. #29
    Ryder Cup Winner drive4show's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Poole, Dorset
    Posts
    10,232

    Re: Do you eat with your hat on?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maninblack4612 View Post
    Closer to 100 than 40.
    I wasn't asking you, you old fart


    Us wrinklies have to stick together

  10. #30
    Tour Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Shrewsbury, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,031

    Re: Do you eat with your hat on?

    I have always wondered about this, always believe it was bad manners not to take off hat and have told son the same.

    Just googled an answer and to be honest, there appears to be no one answer to why take it off. One link even went on about medieval times and the steel headgear were heavy and therefore men took off. Another say ladies don't as their hair would be messed up, or the hat would be fixed to hair etc.

    Basically still dont know the answer, so likely to be another silly tradition, like wearing certain kind of cloths for golf, don't kind your shoes in the car park and so on.

    I would rather see it off tbh but don't know why I do, suppose just because that was the way I was bought up, along with no tattoos.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Tour Championship Golf Betting Tips

The finale of the 2017 PGA Tour season happens at East Lake Golf Club check out who we think will do well with these Tour Championship Golf Betting Tips

September 19, 2017

Portugal Masters Golf Betting Tips

The European Tour is getting towards the end of the season, check out who the GM Tipster has picked to do well with these Portugal Masters Golf Betting Tips

September 19, 2017

Quiz Of The Week 15th September

How much have you been paying attention to the golfing world this week? Test your knowledge with our quiz...

September 19, 2017

FedEx Cup to be decided at Tour Championship

The 2017 FedEx Cup culminates this week at the Tour Championship at East Lake in Georgia. Jordan Spieth leads the rankings but any of the players in the top five on the standings will claim the Cup if they win at East Lake.

September 19, 2017

Padraig Harrington defends Portugal Masters

Padraig Harrington defends the Portugal Masters over the Dom Pedro Victoria Golf Course in Vilamoura and a strong field has assembled for the tournament.

September 19, 2017