Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Re: Eng v S.A. Test Series

I'm heading along to Old Trafford tomorrow for the second day. Could be a good one. Things are delicately poised at the moment.

Great day out. Three overs to go. Three sheets to the
    wind here! The day belongs to England!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    On the basis that Jennings looks shot who is next in line to open? Whoever it is will get a nice softener against the West Indies before getting bashed in Australia so they need to have a decent technique. Ideally it would be a right handed batsman to balance out Cook and mess up the rhythm of the bowlers. Suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    Wouldnt be surprised to see him get the WI series still (Esp if can get a few for Durham in the meantime), if not you'd think it will be Stoneman (another lefty). The only other consideration you'd think would be if Hameed finally got some runs for Lancs. Outside that a return to Sam Robson i guess a longshot but have used up most of their potential options already
    I was there yesterday. Jennings actually looked very composed and solid against a new ball that was jagging around. Nicked off to a good ball but like he had a lot of time.

Malan on the other hand.....looked nervy and out of his depth. Wafted at quite a few before getting out. I think Stoneman should have got the nod ahead of him.
    H/cap 6.7,

Junior, good to hear your comments. Watching on tv and listening to pundits can distort your views. I hope Jennings can pull through as we need an opener alongside Cook. It would be nice to see him take a decent front foot step though, but I'm old school like that 😁.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    I was there yesterday. Jennings actually looked very composed and solid against a new ball that was jagging around. Nicked off to a good ball but like he had a lot of time.

Malan on the other hand.....looked nervy and out of his depth. Wafted at quite a few before getting out. I think Stoneman should have got the nod ahead of him.
    I wonder if Stoneman will get a chance against the West Indies though

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Junior, good to hear your comments. Watching on tv and listening to pundits can distort your views. I hope Jennings can pull through as we need an opener alongside Cook. It would be nice to see him take a decent front foot step though, but I'm old school like that .
    I agree. He needs a bigger stride ! The other thing is that his bat seemed to be angled towards the gully a bit to much for my liking.

The interesting thing is what what they do when Woakes is fit.....does he come in straight for Malan, or would they drop TRJ and play an extra batter.
    H/cap 6.7,

Major Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    I agree. He needs a bigger stride ! The other thing is that his bat seemed to be angled towards the gully a bit to much for my liking.

The interesting thing is what what they do when Woakes is fit.....does he come in straight for Malan, or would they drop TRJ and play an extra batter.
    Woakes looks likely to get more runs than the batsmen that have been brought in. Jennings just seems to let the ball hit the bat in defence. Think he should look to push the ball into gaps, take the single and get off strike. Be more positive in defence.

Westley plays like Bairstow did when he first came into the side. Strong right hand so his off side drives are ending up through the on side. How has he got to 28 and no one corrected his technique ? Top level he will get found out. Bairstow was much younger when he first came into the side, and has worked hard to correct his problem, and plays much better through the covers, mid off now. In test matches you don't get many freebies on your pads.

Not sure about Malan. He needs to be positive and play his strokes in the middle order, as defensively he looks suspect. A good innings could be the making of him, and he needs a longer run,. Can't judge on three innings. Not the strongest South African team, but their attack of Morkel, Rabada and Philander is very useful, and would test the best batsmen. Their spinner is very tidy as well, with few feebies.Think there may be a few easier runs to be had against the Windies.
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.5

Cooden Beach Centenary Fourball Betterball champion with Smiffy.

www.justgiving.com/GolfMonthlyForumHFH2017

Few interstitial comparisons between Jennings and Trescothic today. I could see some of what they were saying. I would stick with him against the Windies and bring in Stobeman for Malan.
    The Woaks/TRJ argument is tougher. Woakes is skiddy quick and swings the ball where as TRJ hits the deck harder and will get more bounce..... If batting comes into it, (which has been in the past) then I think a fit again Woaks will get the nod....

Trescothick would hit through the ball. Jennings lets the ball hit the bat. One was pro active the other not. Tenuous comparisons between the two.

Hammed will replace Jennings without doubt.
    The problem is that on one hand the ECB favourites get to keep their places, and you do need some sort of run to show yourself, but non favourites who are also in great form don't get the chance to show.
    Sometimes I do think cricket needs to take a small leaf out of the Rugby book and actually be a little more proactive on dropping out of form players for those in form to strengthen competition for places and hopefully improve the collective scores and results.
    Forever trying.