Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Eng v S.A. Test Series

Test squad for S.A. series announced this morning.

What do you think?

Ballance back in. Not sure about that. Has scored runs recently but at test level his footwork was poor. Likely to be exposed I think.

No Rashid? Dawson gets the spin nod instead.

Hameed out due to lack of runs. Understand that one as Jennings a decent replacement.

Broad back in but fitness lacking. No-one really knocking the doors down though.

In all, a bit of a dull squad if you know what I mean.
    Titleist 910 D3 RIP x-stiff
    Titleist 915F 3W Rogue x-stiff

Mizuno H4 2i DG X100
    Mizuno MP53 3-PW DG X100

Cleveland CG15 DSG 52°, 58°
    Odyssey Sabretooth 33" with VIBE

Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black Footballs
    Titleist RC Cart Bag
    Under Armour Golf Shoes
    Garmin S1
    No official h/c
    PW Swing. 6i Swing. 3i Swing.

Re: Eng v S.A. Test Series

Surprised theyve gone back to Ballance especially against the Saffers. From what I hear hes done little to address the weakness against the short stuff whilst continuing to plunder county attacks. On the plus side hes in as good as nick as possible coming in.

Hamed will get another chance most likely against the WI later in the year if hes got some runs at county level. Expect they take a look at Stoneman sooner rather than later too

Dont understand Dawsons selection, are we really trying to shoe horn in 2 spinners for the first test of the summer at home? And if you are is he really a better option that Rashid

Roland Jones a like for like attempt to replace Woakes I guess, be interesting to see how he goes at this level, do wonder if he needs an extra yard of pace

Lets hope Wood stays fit for the summer as think that attack will look quite ordinary without him

Could be a good series, lets hope we end the succession of the away side winning the series between these sides
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

Yeah the fitness of all quicks is a concern. Wood, Stokes, Broad, Anderson all with recent injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Piece View Post
    Yeah the fitness of all quicks is a concern. Wood, Stokes, Broad, Anderson all with recent injuries.
    you do wonder if thats why they want 2 spinners as they dont expect the quicks to last the game out lol

Wood/Stokes both likely to be protected to some degree Jimmy/Broad not spring chickens anymore and Woakes and Ball already out injured

Whos next in line? go back to Plunkett or Finn? Or throw in someone like Curran/Overton/Porter?
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Ping Ketsch

Plunkett and Finn are definite nos for me. Plunkett is better of the two if push comes to shove.

The other names are a good shout. Curran did well in the recent T20, far better than Willey. I would have liked to have seen a young fast bowler given a chance as I share your fear that these old uns won't last the series.

Speaking of spinners, the selectors favourite Patel is in the form of his life

Plunkett and Finn are definite nos for me. Plunkett is better of the two if push comes to shove.

The other names are a good shout. Curran did well in the recent T20, far better than Willey. I would have liked to have seen a young fast bowler given a chance as I share your fear that these old uns won't last the series.

Speaking of spinners, the selectors favourite Patel is in the form of his life
    Samits ship sunk years ago lol bowled superb at Lords in the final today. See Stoneman sticking 2 fingers up to the selectors too!
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Ping Ketsch

Some poor choices imo

Ballance has done nothing to address his footwork problems

Roland Jones is just a nothing bowler

Dawson is not good enough as a front line spinner and England have currently destroyed Leach

Stoneman should have been in

Overton won't get picked until he joins a different county , Curran deserved a chance and would have given Crane a go if they aren't going to trust Rashid

Think England will still win ththe series but that squad won't win down under

Some brilliant batting from Stoneman and then even better from Hales. Costly early drops though!

Some brilliant batting from Stoneman and then even better from Hales. Costly early drops though!
    bizarre game, as if those 2 were playing on a different wicket at times. pleased for Read to go out on a high too
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Ping Ketsch

Dawson won't get a sniff. Crane just sent down 16 overs for 89 (no wickets) against them. He needs overs for his county. I'd have played Rashid in the Lions in his place.

Ballance is the safe and predictable choice. He's by far and away the best (English?) batsmen in county cricket this year, averaging 90 odd.

Roland Jones is a strange choice. He's not really in form and I thought that Porter Joe Leach from Worcester or Coad might have made the squad.

I don't think it's going to be as much of a walkover as people think. Amla, Morkel , Rabada are world class and de Kock is one of the best wicket keeper batsmen in the world. Morris is a quality all rounder aswell. I predict 1-1
    H/cap 7.1, Lymm Golf Club