Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

Speeding up swing change

I had a lesson a couple of weeks ago which resulted in a relatively significant change to my swing. Not massive in the sense a swing path change might be, but a change to club face orientation throughout the swing.

On the range, I can do what I need to do and hit it beautifully (even if I do say so myself). It might take a few swings for me to remember the new feeling, but after that, with a few blips I can do it.

However, this is primarily because I get into something of a rhythm and only have something like 30 - 60 seconds between shots.

So then taking it to the course, I'm a bit more tense and I can't get the right feeling and can't execute the new swing feeling and revert to old habits.

I know the answer is to continue to practice the change, and I will do that of course, however, what I'm after is a drill or method for improving the quality of my practice.

In particular something that disrupts my rhythm on the range in between shots to make it more aligned to being on the course. I already do the play as if I'm playing my own course thing, so not just bashing the same club over and over.

Anyone got any good tips? I realise there's no substitution for hitting a lot of balls, and I'm not looking for one, just something to supplement that and improve the quality of my practice.
    Handicap: 12

Re: Speeding up swing change

If your ceiling is high enough and you have a bit of room at your home, just have a club at hand and do swings with it as often as possible, maybe even in slow mo, going through the positions and feeling you are after. If it isn't too much bother, film yourself with your smartphone while you do it and check what it looks like on camera (because feelings can be deceiving, especially if you have no ball flight to judge your movement by).

It is not as good as practice on the range, but you can do it far more often and spontaneously.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

Journeyman Pro

I do that in my garden, only problem is without seeing the ball flight it's very hard to know if I'm practicing the right thing so don't want to do too much in case I make something bad permanent!

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    I had a lesson a couple of weeks ago which resulted in a relatively significant change to my swing. Not massive in the sense a swing path change might be, but a change to club face orientation throughout the swing.

On the range, I can do what I need to do and hit it beautifully (even if I do say so myself). It might take a few swings for me to remember the new feeling, but after that, with a few blips I can do it.

However, this is primarily because I get into something of a rhythm and only have something like 30 - 60 seconds between shots.

So then taking it to the course, I'm a bit more tense and I can't get the right feeling and can't execute the new swing feeling and revert to old habits.

I know the answer is to continue to practice the change, and I will do that of course, however, what I'm after is a drill or method for improving the quality of my practice.

In particular something that disrupts my rhythm on the range in between shots to make it more aligned to being on the course. I already do the play as if I'm playing my own course thing, so not just bashing the same club over and over.

Anyone got any good tips? I realise there's no substitution for hitting a lot of balls, and I'm not looking for one, just something to supplement that and improve the quality of my practice.
    Don't hit the same club all the time. Work out what clubs you would generally hit to play a round of golf round your course and hit those in order. That should be about 36 shots give or take a couple either way. And to break up your rhythm, have a few wedges also sitting and every 2nd shot should be a short pitch with a lofted wedge e.g. 30 yard pitch, flop shot, low punchy running shot etc.

So you'll be constantly chopping and chanhing clubs and also going back and forth between your new swing change vs existing set up and technique for pitching, flop shots etc.

Head Pro

When I'm on the range I like to visualise that I'm playing the holes of the course.
    So start at hole one - hit the shot off the tee. Imagine where that shot landed in comparison to the hole and then play the next shot.

Its a good way to train your mind as well
    2017 Handicap monthly progress - Apr 8.9 May 9.5 June 7.3 July 7.0 Aug 6.1 Sept 6.7

I will go against the grain here and say just go to the range with say a 6 and an 8 iron.

The more times you hit the shot right, the more chance you have of hitting it well on the course.

Pros hit 100s a day.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Journeyman Pro

Thanks everyone.

Sounds like there isn't much that I can do other than what I'm doing already, so I'll keep plugging away!

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post

Methinks you have it backwards! You should be looking for some sort of trigger that makes you on-course swing work like your 'grooved' new swing!

When I changed my swing to any significant extent (and there were several such iterations), I practiced until it was grooved, then played a few holes hoping that it hung in the same (new) style. If it didn't - and there was no conscious effort to make it do so - then I'd go back to the practice regime afterwards (to hopefully get it sorted again!), then try again the following time (day).

So it's really just a case of 'sticking at it and let the changes happen rather than trying to force them!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

A pro I went on a golf trip with (and who was a pro player before she became a teaching pro) gave me the tip to take a lot of time with each ball. She said she never pours out the basket of balls, but instead leaves it a bit behind the mat beside her golf bag, so that every time between shots she has to step away from the mat to get a new ball. The further away you keep the balls the better (though it starts to get ridiculous at some point). She says she takes at least an hour to hit 50 balls.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post
    Methinks you have it backwards! You should be looking for some sort of trigger that makes you on-course swing work like your 'grooved' new swing!

When I changed my swing to any significant extent (and there were several such iterations), I practiced until it was grooved, then played a few holes hoping that it hung in the same (new) style. If it didn't - and there was no conscious effort to make it do so - then I'd go back to the practice regime afterwards (to hopefully get it sorted again!), then try again the following time (day).

So it's really just a case of 'sticking at it and let the changes happen rather than trying to force them!
    I think that's what I'm doing already, but haven't got to the point of my new swing being grooved and therefore when I am on the course and I am target oriented rather than swing oriented, I am slipping away from the new swing.

More grooving required, which sounds like it is a matter of hitting more balls! I'm fine with that though, I'm not scared of a bit of graft at the driving range!