Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

halfway hut/club champs

afternoon all

we had our club champs at the weekend and I was surprised to see people stopping for anything up to 10 mins at the halfway hut

I'm personally not a fan of halfway hut stops on anything other than a social rounds as they always break any momentum/concentration you might have built up over the front 9 and also it 'can' lead to pace of play issues with some groups stopping for longer than others and causing play to get compressed.

On a social round I'm cool with a stop and can often be found eating pork products (the Royal Lytham Pork Pie cannot be beaten) and quaffing beverages - (Vodka and Idris ginger beer/hot chocolate and brandy are two of my favourites)

Frankly I was playing so badly - a pair of 86s... thanks for coming - that I could have stopped for a three course meal with fine wines and it wouldn't have made a difference but had I been playing well It would have done my nut to have an enforced stop (both days my other PPs wanted to stop and get something to eat/drink AND then sit down and eat/drink said items)

My view is that for an event of the stature of the club champs it should have been 'grab and go' only

For full disclosure purposes I should state that on day 2 I had some sort of Costco knock off Cornetto to cheer myself up but I could have eaten that by the time I hit my tee shot on 10

any views?
    MikeH
    (GM editor)
    email me michael.harris@timeinc.com

Medal Winner

Re: halfway hut/club champs

Agree.....grab and go would be appropriate given it was CC day. 20 min stops are compulsory in South Africa!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
    afternoon all

we had our club champs at the weekend and I was surprised to see people stopping for anything up to 10 mins at the halfway hut

I'm personally not a fan of halfway hut stops on anything other than a social rounds as they always break any momentum/concentration you might have built up over the front 9 and also it 'can' lead to pace of play issues with some groups stopping for longer than others and causing play to get compressed.

On a social round I'm cool with a stop and can often be found eating pork products (the Royal Lytham Pork Pie cannot be beaten) and quaffing beverages - (Vodka and Idris ginger beer/hot chocolate and brandy are two of my favourites)

Frankly I was playing so badly - a pair of 86s... thanks for coming - that I could have stopped for a three course meal with fine wines and it wouldn't have made a difference but had I been playing well It would have done my nut to have an enforced stop (both days my other PPs wanted to stop and get something to eat/drink AND then sit down and eat/drink said items)

My view is that for an event of the stature of the club champs it should have been 'grab and go' only

For full disclosure purposes I should state that on day 2 I had some sort of Costco knock off Cornetto to cheer myself up but I could have eaten that by the time I hit my tee shot on 10

any views?
    not a fan of stopping full stop and def not club comps.

luckily the half way hut is really for visitors at Nairn and is not open when members (well me anyway) come though in the morning.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    not a fan of stopping full stop and def not club comps.

luckily the half way hut is really for visitors at Nairn and is not open when members (well me anyway) come though in the morning.
    nice wee bothy that at Nairn. Remember skulling at brace of continental lagers when we swung by at the Highlands Pro-Am the other year
    MikeH
    (GM editor)

nice wee bothy that at Nairn. Remember skulling at brace of continental lagers when we swung by at the Highlands Pro-Am the other year
    members can't afford the prices they charge in there either

Don't have one at ours but you can phone the clubhouse when you get to the 9th tee and it will be ready for you by the time you get of the green. Always love playing Portstewart as they have one at the 9th green have let 3 sometimes 4 groups go thru us by the time we come out of it
    www.scotscraiggolfclub.com

Hcp :- Embarrassing

Don't like stopping during a comp and normally have what I want to eat/drink during the round in my bag at the start.

If you don't stop, are groups happy for you to go ahead of them or are you expected to stay in playing order?

Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    Don't like stopping during a comp and normally have what I want to eat/drink during the round in my bag at the start.

If you don't stop, are groups happy for you to go ahead of them or are you expected to stay in playing order?
    thats another issue... there isn't really any formal etiquette for stopping/not stopping
    MikeH
    (GM editor)

thats another issue... there isn't really any formal etiquette for stopping/not stopping
    Seen 1 or 2 courses were the comp is moving well only to see a back log on the 10th caused by those stopping/not stopping.

The only place ive been that runs it well is Castle Stuart, its just grab and go and you only have to stop if you want to of course its not a members club so no comps. Its the starters hut as well so he sorts out letting though if people want to stop longer.

One i don't like is Gleneagles. Compulsory stop, for an already slow round, hut isn't that big so always packed.. just holds things up even more.