Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hacker

Slow starts are killing me!

Has anyone got any tips to start a round off on the right foot?

I'm a notoriously slow starter, something that has frustrated me for some time. I've recently started entering more competitions at my club and the last three stableford rounds I've failed to pick up any points until the third hole. Even more frustrating is that I've ended up turning it round at ending up on low - mid 30's, just low enough to scrape a +0.1. If I could pick up points on the first two holes I'd surely hit buffer or better.

I always warm up with a few balls on the range (practice a variety of shots) and try to play the practice holes before I start. I'm sure the problem comes from between the ears.

So any tips?
    Nike Covert Vrs DriverNike Covert 3 WoodNike Vapor Speed 4HCobra Biocell 5-PWCleveland RTX 2.0 50, 56, 60Taylormade Ghost Spider SI Ball Retriever

Re: Slow starts are killing me!

Quote Originally Posted by tomshanks View Post

I'm a notoriously slow starter, something that has frustrated me for some time. I've recently started entering more competitions at my club and the last three stableford rounds I've failed to pick up any points until the third hole. Even more frustrating is that I've ended up turning it round at ending up on low - mid 30's, just low enough to scrape a +0.1. If I could pick up points on the first two holes I'd surely hit buffer or better.

I always warm up with a few balls on the range (practice a variety of shots) and try to play the practice holes before I start. I'm sure the problem comes from between the ears.

So any tips?
    I am very similar to this. Though we have absolutely no practice facilities and I literally get out of the car and onto the first tee.

What exactly is causing the problem? Bad tee shot? Duffed shots? Poor putting?

For me, it is to take an easier club off the tee until i am a bit warmed up. Our first 3 holes are very tight and not that long, so I just try and hit the fairway off the tee and take it from there.
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

So any tips?
    like you say its prob between the ears. Weight of expectation takes over try too hard make a mess of the first few holes. Then relax because you think yo have blown it and play well.

TBH i'm not sure there is a magic answer, I always start with a bogey at Nairn, but i know i can often get that shot back later so don't worry about it.

relax, enjoy and it will come.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

So any tips?
    Do you warm up on the range before your round?
    Follow me on Twitter: @dufferman

Quote Originally Posted by dufferman View Post
    Do you warm up on the range before your round?
    yes, he says so in the last paragraph.

I am frustratingly opposite!

Walked straight to the first on Saturday, didn't even have a knock on the practise green and hit one of the best drives I've ever hit, followed by a lovely six iron.

It went steadily down hill from there until I was struggling not to shank every shot by the eighteenth!

I am the same. I usually even get a decent tee shot away on the first tee, but then start messing up after that. There is a nasty pond on our first hole that absolutely seems to demand a ball sacrifice at the start of every round. Maybe I should just throw a ball in there before I tee off. But even if I somehow manage to avoid the stupid pond, I always find a way to squander a few shots around the green. Second hole is a par 3 and that is normally a bit better, I sometimes even manage to get a point back there, but it takes me about two more holes before I start playing steadily. It doesn't matter how much I warm up beforehand.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

I hardly if ever hit balls before i tee off. maybe a couple of putts from 4 feet on a flat bit of the practice green. it helps that the two courses im a member at and play comps on have very easy 1st holes.

Journeyman Pro

Depends on why you're not scoring really.

Are you screwing up the tee shots?
    Are the opening holes particularly difficult?
    Are you missing the putts?
    Are you getting yourself into a good position off the tee, but failing to make use of it?

Establish why you are messing up the opening hole. Could be something as simple as changing your strategy on how you play those holes, or how you warm up

Hacker

Tee shots generally aren't bad, terrible approach shots are common and poor recoveries. Once on the green I'm safe.
    Nike Covert Vrs DriverNike Covert 3 WoodNike Vapor Speed 4HCobra Biocell 5-PWCleveland RTX 2.0 50, 56, 60Taylormade Ghost Spider SI Ball Retriever