Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Head Pro

Recommend courses in North Scotland

I'm of on Sunday for 10 days to driver the north cost 500 route - starting in Inverness going west - up the west coast, across the north coast to John o Groats and down the east coast to Inverness again. Taking the clubs and may or may not play depending on time available. Wife would play if I do and given she would be a 36 cap at best (only played 5/6 rounds in her life) I would exclude premium courses.

Not looking to pay a lot of money (like to use hot deals on Golf Now) so any nice courses around or near my route that you have played or know about?

Thanks

Re: Recommend courses in North Scotland

Probably more that you have time to play TBH

Would go to these, on route from Inverness
    Fortrose and Rosemarkie
    Great short links course easy walking and unusual in that its almost in the Moray Firth and surrounded on 3 sides by it. great for Ladies
    Tarbat (portmahomack)
    short 9 hole community links, quite short, again good for lady golfers no carries
    Tain
    Traditional links nice lay out.
    Bonar Bridge
    again small commuinity 9 hole course through woodland right by Loch Migdale (been on Time team) chance to see Ospreys
    Royal Dornoch
    Its £120 but treat yourself one of the best courses in the world (top 10)
    Brora.
    Quirky links course that is almost impossible to lose a ball on,(sheep graze it and it has electric fences around the greens,
    Reay.
    short links course quite nice
    Durnes
    Stunning surroundings and the 9th is one of the best short par3 around
    Gairloch
    again short community links short but great views.

All these you will literally drive past apart from F&R . there are quite a few others but imo these are the best.

of course there are also a couple of others you might want to try nearer the route up.
    Boat of Garten
    Spey Valley
    either of the Nairrn courses.

PM me if you want any other info
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Just to add to Patrick's list, Dornoch do a 36 hole ticket that allows you to play the Struie course as well. You could play both courses and she could join you for the wee course.

If you can fit it in I would REALLY recommend you play RD.

Following what others have said, missing Royal Dornoch would be a colossal error. Brora and Tain are both really good courses as well.
    9.5* Ping i20 Stock Stiff
    15* Taylormade R15 Fujikura FUEL 60 S
    18* Adams Pro DHY Aldila Tour Blue 85 S
    4-PW John Letters Master Model S300
    52*,56*,60* John Letters Tour Black DG Spinner
    34" Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
    2016 Handicap par 73 SSS71 - 10.0 -> 10.1 (NR,95 adj) -> 10.2 (net 79)
    http://www.driftgolfclub.com/golf/

I think RD also do twilight rates - If you don't play it, walk along the beach and up onto the raised part of the course (the 7th?), which me and the missus did with the dog. Maybe play the course the course, if you like what you see.

There's a wee course at Durness, not one of the classics, but some absolutely stunning views as you play round it. 9 holes but with two sets of tees on every hole. well worth stopping off if you have the time. Durness has some other attractions, Smoo Cave being the obvious one, but The Sango Sands Oasis... yes real name, has to be one of the cheapest places I've ever had an evening my in my travels.

No advance on Patrick's except to say that Gairloch and Bonar Bridge area great examples of the genre, and probably good for your purposes.

Haven't seen Grantown on Spey mentioned. Not sure it is on your route but worth a look if it is.

As others have said, though, if you can play Royal Dornoch, then you absolutely should do that.
    Some clubs
    Some baws
    Hunners of broken tees
    and a Snickers that was best before Oct 2011

www.wlgc.co.uk

Tain do a twilight rate, don't swerve it. Brora as well. Dornoch is a ridiculous amount of money for a game of golf.

If you have time on way up or back, give Boat of garten a go, it's near Aviemore so off your sutherland route.

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    Probably more that you have time to play TBH

Would go to these, on route from Inverness
    Fortrose and Rosemarkie
    Great short links course easy walking and unusual in that its almost in the Moray Firth and surrounded on 3 sides by it. great for Ladies
    Tarbat (portmahomack)
    short 9 hole community links, quite short, again good for lady golfers no carries
    Tain
    Traditional links nice lay out.
    Bonar Bridge
    again small commuinity 9 hole course through woodland right by Loch Migdale (been on Time team) chance to see Ospreys
    Royal Dornoch
    Its £120 but treat yourself one of the best courses in the world (top 10)
    Brora.
    Quirky links course that is almost impossible to lose a ball on,(sheep graze it and it has electric fences around the greens,
    Reay.
    short links course quite nice
    Durnes
    Stunning surroundings and the 9th is one of the best short par3 around
    Gairloch
    again short community links short but great views.

All these you will literally drive past apart from F&R . there are quite a few others but imo these are the best.

of course there are also a couple of others you might want to try nearer the route up.
    Boat of Garten
    Spey Valley
    either of the Nairrn courses.

PM me if you want any other info
    Thanks for the time taken to post your response. Much appreciated and very informative AND a thank you of course to all the helpful responses. Will not be playing RD at this time as I know my golfing group has it in its sights for next year (travel to play 6 rounds every year)

Quote Originally Posted by jusme View Post
    Thanks for the time taken to post your response. Much appreciated and very informative AND a thank you of course to all the helpful responses. Will not be playing RD at this time as I know my golfing group has it in its sights for next year (travel to play 6 rounds every year)
    even if you don't play it this time (RD), go up and have a wonder, there are paths along the beach and the top part of the course.
    Plus it has a stunning beach the course side along towards Embo.

I should add that Bonar Bridge, Girloch and Tarbat (Portmahomack)will be honesty boxes and usually unmanned during the week. They may not be part of internet cheap offers either.
    Tain, and Brora both do twilght deals Tains is after lunch usually and Brora around 3/4pm i suggest speaking to the clubs first. They are all short of cash and will no doubt have offers, which the money will all go to the club rather than a booking agent.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017