Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Brute of a par 4

Borrowing an often used tv commentary phrase as a title, I'm going to step up and start my first thread.

Playing in the comp Saturday, for the first time when it mattered, I parred our 4th hole, SI1, 4 for 3 for 3, great success!

Not that impressive in itself, but our 4th hole is a bit of a monster. 450 yard off either tees, gently uphill first 300 yards, then much steeper thereafter. Usually plays with wind coming from the right and slightly behind. You've got oob, tight down the first 240 yards on the right, and thick junglely rough for 50 yard past that. Lots of trees on the left, and a patch of woods starting around the 280 mark, which blocks off approach to the green. On top of that, if you can drive it far enough to get to the green with your second, theres one sneaky tree in the right hand rough, just to interfere with anyone moving one with the wind, just before the fairway tightens around the 250yd point.

The green is large and slopes from back to front, and like all our greens at the moment, is pretty slick. Anything not underneath the hole, leaves you a fast, breaking putt generally. A couple of bunkers also on the left side, front and back. One of which replaced a bunker that used to be right of the green. Anything that is hit long, has got oob tight behind the green waiting to gobble it up too.

In short, its a good par. Have a look for yourselves here https://www.wathgolfclub.co.uk/index.php/4/

Having said all that, the 16th off the medal, is probably as tough if not more so as the green is much smaller, and almost always out of sight on approach. Both holes are equally long, nearly as long as this post!😃

So how difficult is the hardest hole at your place?

Re: Brute of a par 4

I fear this won't come across in the spirit its intended but here goes anyway

I don't see the 'brute' effect here. The pics show a pretty open unprotected fairway to a generally unprotected large green that sits level with the fairway allowing balls to roll on which negates a chunk of its distance defense anyway

Only scratch golfers are supposed to get 4's here, for everyone else they can lay up the 2nd shot with no danger and pitch/chip/putt on which takes the shallow bunkers completely out of play for a 2-putt nett par

Looks like it would work very well as a risk/reward 2nd shot hole though (but for me that doesn't make the hole a brute)

Well done on the par though, I know I couldn't par it without a slice of luck
    Last edited by Slab; 20-Jun-2017 at 12:26.

Our hardest par is imo the 1st although card says it's the 12th, 1st is 445yards par 4 carrying 2 ditches but damp fairway with no roll, followed by a steep climb up and over to get to blind green. Plays more like 545 yrds. Needs a long drive and a very good long and accurate 2nd with a bit of luck thrown in to get close to green. 10 years ago maybe but these days it's a 3 shotter for me (and just about everyone else). Hate starting with a bogey (or worse)!
    1st.jpg
    Last edited by maxfli65; 20-Jun-2017 at 12:32.
    Cobra Biocell 1w
    Progen Chromo 3w, 3r and 4r
    Callaway Razr X Forged 4-pw
    Cleveland 588 gw
    Wilson Staff FG Tour lw
    S-Blade Curvewing putter

We have 3 very tough par 4's. The first is the 8th which is about 420 but nearly always plays directly into the wind. You have thick rough down the right with trees beyond and trees up the left. The fairway slopes pretty dramatically off to the right, so if you hit a fade you will most likely miss the fairway and be down in the run off area. Your second shot is nearly always below your feet and as our club used to be on potato fields (typical Ireland) the fairways are not flat at all. The green is two tiered with a bunker short right and everything slopes off towards the sea (right). If you go long with your approach the ball is gone as the green falls away into really thick rough and trees.

The next hard par 4 is the 17th, off the whites it is a complete different hole. Unless you hit a big drive, you have a blind shot to the green. Out of bounds down the right with a big patch of trees down the left. The fairway slopes dramatically down to the out of bounds which has a deep ditch just infront of it. This hole is all about the drive, if you nail one far enough then its not too bad. Anything off line or short makes it extremely difficult.

The final is the 18th which requires a long tee shot to reach the fairway. Railway down the right and trees left. Your second shot is down hill but it is a two tiered green with two bunkers at the front. The green is shaped like mikey mouses head and has a very narrow opening.

I'd bite your hand off for a 5 on all three of them before the start of the round. I normally ding the final two.
    H/C: 16.9 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: Ping G LS tec. 3 wood: TM M2 HL Hybrids: TM M2 3, TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Journeyman Pro

cimg1300.JPG

Our dogleg left 3rd SI1 is a bit of a beast, especially from the back tee's. Think it's about 430 from the back tee's with about 160/180 to clear the rough. Everything draws you right, rough down both sides of the fairway. Clear cut of rough if your short left but if you go in the rough it's a definite 3 off the tee. It's a good drive and 2 fairway shots for me, seen my low handicap mates drive the corner leaving about 160 into a very small elevated green. If you make par it's a very good par, if I make a 6 I'm happy.
    Ping G15 Driver
    Ping G20 Hybrid
    Ping G10 18 Hybrid
    Cobra Amp 5-SW Irons
    Titliest Vokey 60 degree
    Taylormade Rossa Putter

Handicap 27

Member at Baildon Golf Club

I'd see it as disheartening definitely, more so than a brute. 456yds for a par 4 is long. Make it uphill to this degree and it becomes a slog. Effectively it is a 500yd par 4. I wouldn't fancy it. Well done for getting a par on it . You would have to nail every shot to get that and I feel tired looking at it.

We have a very similar hole on our course. A bit shorter than yours, gradient possibly similar, perhaps not quite so steep. I'm always happy to get a 5 on there.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Cobra Baffler 5w, Nike Covert Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    Our hardest par is imo the 1st although card says it's the 12th, 1st is 445yards par 4 carrying 2 ditches but damp fairway with no roll, followed by a steep climb up and over to get to blind green. Plays more like 545 yrds. Needs a long drive and a very good long and accurate 2nd with a bit of luck thrown in to get close to green. 10 years ago maybe but these days it's a 3 shotter for me (and just about everyone else). Hate starting with a bogey (or worse)!
    1st.jpg
    There's a green up there??
    Ping G15 Driver
    Ping G20 Hybrid
    Ping G10 18 Hybrid
    Cobra Amp 5-SW Irons
    Titliest Vokey 60 degree
    Taylormade Rossa Putter

Handicap 27

Member at Baildon Golf Club

13th-Hole.jpg

not sure i would call it a beast.

our 13th is Si1 its 420 something off the white with the green playing a good 20 yards longer as its up the hill.

a good drive will leave you an iron, but anything short will just run back down the hill, so long is better than short. quite a tricky green on two tiers and a big right to left slope. 5 is not the end of the world TBH.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy77 View Post
    There's a green up there??
    Yes, over that stake and right a tad. Generally your 3rd shot is a full sand wedge but a blind shot on a par 4! Need a minute to get my breath when I get up there too.
    Cobra Biocell 1w
    Progen Chromo 3w, 3r and 4r
    Callaway Razr X Forged 4-pw
    Cleveland 588 gw
    Wilson Staff FG Tour lw
    S-Blade Curvewing putter

Tour Winner

off the whites its the 18th on the Brabazon. I'd go as far a saying its one of the hardest holes in the country. different hole completely off the yellows