Page 375 of 406 FirstFirst ... 275325365373374375376377385 ... LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,750 of 4052
  1. #3741
    Ryder Cup Winner Liverbirdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    12,900

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by ColchesterFC View Post
    Isn't that what the Arsenal board and Wenger were going on about when they moved to the Emirates? Bigger stadium, higher revenue, able to compete with the biggest clubs in Europe? You still need the owners to be prepared to invest that money in the team and also a manager willing to spend the available money.
    Yep, Arsenal did say that - the only difference is that they didnt spend the money they accumulated.

  2. #3742
    Money List Winner sawtooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    6,808

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by ColchesterFC View Post
    Isn't that what the Arsenal board and Wenger were going on about when they moved to the Emirates? Bigger stadium, higher revenue, able to compete with the biggest clubs in Europe? You still need the owners to be prepared to invest that money in the team and also a manager willing to spend the available money.
    Back in the day when the idea of a new stadium was first hatched I am sure it would have allowed Arsenal to compete favourably with traditional rivals. However Arsenal cannot be expected to ( nor should we want to) match financially Chelsea, City and Utd.

    What makes me laugh is that Liverpool fans are now bitching about something that I have been banging on about for 10 years.

    Suck it up and get on with it, Chelsea, United, City and their billions and insatiable appetite to win at any cost is a fact of life and isnít going away anytime soon.

    Thatís why Wenger has done a better job than most will give him credit for in the past 12 seasons. Best of the rest for so many seasons, quite remarkable when you think about it.

    And no I havenít been drinking....well not too many anyway.

  3. #3743
    Ryder Cup Winner Liverbirdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    12,900

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6mA6uA2-Rcw

    Really looking forward to this.
    Yep, looks very good.

    He was in the seat behind me last season when I think they filmed part of it, so keep your eye out for a gozzy-eyed, Liverbirdie in front of him (had my bins on).

  4. #3744
    Ryder Cup Winner Stuart_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    10,135

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    Back in the day when the idea of a new stadium was first hatched I am sure it would have allowed Arsenal to compete favourably with traditional rivals. However Arsenal cannot be expected to ( nor should we want to) match financially Chelsea, City and Utd.

    What makes me laugh is that Liverpool fans are now bitching about something that I have been banging on about for 10 years.

    Suck it up and get on with it, Chelsea, United, City and their billions and insatiable appetite to win at any cost is a fact of life and isnít going away anytime soon.

    Thatís why Wenger has done a better job than most will give him credit for in the past 12 seasons. Best of the rest for so many seasons, quite remarkable when you think about it.

    And no I havenít been drinking....well not too many anyway.
    Nobody is bitching, weíre debating an issue that was caused by previous management at board level on not moving with the times when we had the finances and time to do what was needed.

  5. #3745
    Hall of Famer HomerJSimpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bracknell - Berkshire
    Posts
    59,215

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6mA6uA2-Rcw

    Really looking forward to this.
    Not a Liverpool fan but this looks cracking and I'll watch it

  6. #3746
    Ryder Cup Winner Liverbirdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    12,900

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    Back in the day when the idea of a new stadium was first hatched I am sure it would have allowed Arsenal to compete favourably with traditional rivals. However Arsenal cannot be expected to ( nor should we want to) match financially Chelsea, City and Utd.

    What makes me laugh is that Liverpool fans are now bitching about something that I have been banging on about for 10 years.

    Suck it up and get on with it, Chelsea, United, City and their billions and insatiable appetite to win at any cost is a fact of life and isnít going away anytime soon.

    Thatís why Wenger has done a better job than most will give him credit for in the past 12 seasons. Best of the rest for so many seasons, quite remarkable when you think about it.

    And no I havenít been drinking....well not too many anyway.
    No, wrong there - we were the original moaners when us and Chelsea were fighting out CL semi-finals year after year. Probably when youse were going out in the quarters.

    We are actually moaning about our owners, if you read it properly.

    You say you have been banging on about it, then say suck it up and get on with it - did it take you 10 years to realise that then?

  7. #3747
    Ryder Cup Winner pauldj42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seaham
    Posts
    11,200

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    Back in the day when the idea of a new stadium was first hatched I am sure it would have allowed Arsenal to compete favourably with traditional rivals. However Arsenal cannot be expected to ( nor should we want to) match financially Chelsea, City and Utd.

    What makes me laugh is that Liverpool fans are now bitching about something that I have been banging on about for 10 years.

    Suck it up and get on with it, Chelsea, United, City and their billions and insatiable appetite to win at any cost is a fact of life and isnít going away anytime soon.

    Thatís why Wenger has done a better job than most will give him credit for in the past 12 seasons. Best of the rest for so many seasons, quite remarkable when you think about it.

    And no I havenít been drinking....well not too many anyway.
    If you look at Chelsea and Utd then they showed you the correct way to do it, City benefitted from the Commonwealth Games and rich Arabs, spend on players, get the success and the stadium improvements come secondary.

    Surely you would of preferred to stay at Highbury, delay the Emirates, continue to win the PL and push on in the CL, making a new ground a priority has meant you losing out to those clubs that focussed on players first and winning major trophies.

  8. #3748
    Money List Winner sawtooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    6,808

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    If you look at Chelsea and Utd then they showed you the correct way to do it, City benefitted from the Commonwealth Games and rich Arabs, spend on players, get the success and the stadium improvements come secondary.

    Surely you would of preferred to stay at Highbury, delay the Emirates, continue to win the PL and push on in the CL, making a new ground a priority has meant you losing out to those clubs that focussed on players first and winning major trophies.
    Are you kidding?

    Staying at Highbury would have kept us even further behind.

    10 years has not been wasted however, itís a small sacrifice to help put Arsenal into a better position long term.

    Can we hope to compete with City and Chelsea financially? No, but we are a darned sight better off now than we were 12 years ago.

    How have Liverpool faired in the PL in the past 25 years LB? Where money plays the biggest part of all? Needing a squad to get through 38 games? I think that tells you everything you need to know.

    #makingupthenumbers

  9. #3749
    Ryder Cup Winner Liverbirdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    12,900

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    Are you kidding?

    Staying at Highbury would have kept us even further behind.

    10 years has not been wasted however, itís a small sacrifice to help put Arsenal into a better position long term.

    Can we hope to compete with City and Chelsea financially? No, but we are a darned sight better off now than we were 12 years ago.

    How have Liverpool faired in the PL in the past 25 years LB? Where money plays the biggest part of all? Needing a squad to get through 38 games? I think that tells you everything you need to know.

    #makingupthenumbers
    Are Arsenal also making up the numbers then?

  10. #3750
    Ryder Cup Winner pauldj42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seaham
    Posts
    11,200

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    Are you kidding?

    Staying at Highbury would have kept us even further behind.

    10 years has not been wasted however, itís a small sacrifice to help put Arsenal into a better position long term.

    Can we hope to compete with City and Chelsea financially? No, but we are a darned sight better off now than we were 12 years ago.

    How have Liverpool faired in the PL in the past 25 years LB? Where money plays the biggest part of all? Needing a squad to get through 38 games? I think that tells you everything you need to know.

    #makingupthenumbers
    You keep mentioning the financial side, surely itís about trophies to fans, you donít get an open top bus for a balance sheet.

    Youíve said you canít compete, how are you better off

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

South Korea welcomes PGA Tour for CJ Cup

The PGA Tour heads to South Korea this week for the inaugural CJ Cup @ Nine Bridges. An elite, restricted field including Justin Thomas, Jason Day and Adam Scott will tee it up.

October 17, 2017

Sergio Garcia defends and hosts Valderrama Masters

The Andalucia Valderrama Masters returns to the European Tour schedule for the first time since 2011. Sergio Garcia defends and acts as tournament host.

October 17, 2017

Tyrrell Hatton Whatís In The Bag?

We take a look at the gear used by Tyrrell Hatton in winning the Italian Open a week after successfully defending his Alfred Dunhill Links title

October 16, 2017

WATCH: Tiger Woods Back Hitting Drivers

The 14-time major winner looks closer to a return after he posted a video hitting a drive

October 16, 2017

Tyrrell Hatton wins Italian Open

Tyrrell Hatton made it two European Tour wins in two weeks, claiming the Italian Open at Golf Club Milano by a shot from Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Ross Fisher.

October 15, 2017