Page 1439 of 1451 FirstFirst ... 439939133913891429143714381439144014411449 ... LastLast
Results 14,381 to 14,390 of 14508
  1. #14381
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    8,997

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    You are coming up very bitter LP. It's not healthy 😁. All the top teams spend big, Liverpool have 'bought' their position if you compare to three quarters of the league. It's been that way for 20 years now.

    City spent big but they spent well. Gary Neville compared the city team this year to last. Pep saw the weaknesses and dealt with them. Barely a dud bought. Plenty teams spent money last year, plenty spent on players who have not come off.

  2. #14382
    Hall of Famer Liverpoolphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    38,446

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    You are coming up very bitter LP. It's not healthy 😁. All the top teams spend big, Liverpool have 'bought' their position if you compare to three quarters of the league. It's been that way for 20 years now.

    City spent big but they spent well. Gary Neville compared the city team this year to last. Pep saw the weaknesses and dealt with them. Barely a dud bought. Plenty teams spent money last year, plenty spent on players who have not come off.
    Not bitter just realistic - City are were they are because of nothing else but the money , it attracted the manager , the players

    And let’s not forget that some of the players bought this season had to replace the duds bought the season before - that’s what gives City the edge, they have no problems spending £40 mil on a player and if it doesn’t work out he can sit on the bench and then can spend another £40mil - and they can keep going - is it a billion in about 7 seasons ? And without having to worry about balancing books and selling players to bring players in

    It’s a world away from clubs that have “earned” their spending power or have sold players to bring players in or who can’t write off expensive duds

    When you can afford to get the best manager in the world and get the best players in the world - it’s no surprise when you do win the title , it’s prob more of a surprise when they struggle. The title they have won was done with brilliant players and in great style but it will always have that little stain of money on it - compared to some of the great Man Utd or Liverpool or Forest sides that were built without the use of billions

  3. #14383
    Hall of Famer HomerJSimpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bracknell - Berkshire
    Posts
    61,781

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    You are coming up very bitter LP. It's not healthy 😁. All the top teams spend big, Liverpool have 'bought' their position if you compare to three quarters of the league. It's been that way for 20 years now.

    City spent big but they spent well. Gary Neville compared the city team this year to last. Pep saw the weaknesses and dealt with them. Barely a dud bought. Plenty teams spent money last year, plenty spent on players who have not come off.
    Good point sir and something prevalent to all of the top four in particular who all spent large amounts of cash to get where they are now and will no doubt do so again in the next window and probably the January 19 one too. I think Pep did a great job working out where they weren't good enough and got the right players to make a difference. No doubt City deserved their title as they have been the best side and I've enjoyed watching them and like the way they play.

    Not sure you can argue that Liverpool buying their position as they have also significantly improved and done brilliantly in Europe and so it's more a case of Klopp finally getting better players into the areas many on here highlighted as being their weaknesses over the last few seasons. Mourinho's spending is perhaps the one you need to look at and ask perhaps whether he's got the players that really work for his system. As yesterday showed they still seem very erratic at times

  4. #14384
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    8,997

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Do you discount the Chelsea titles as well?

    My admiration this year is not that they won but how they won. He has assembled a wonderful attacking team that played pure football. It is a brand of football to enjoy. Just spending big doesn't give you glorious football.

  5. #14385
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    8,997

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Good point sir and something prevalent to all of the top four in particular who all spent large amounts of cash to get where they are now and will no doubt do so again in the next window and probably the January 19 one too. I think Pep did a great job working out where they weren't good enough and got the right players to make a difference. No doubt City deserved their title as they have been the best side and I've enjoyed watching them and like the way they play.

    Not sure you can argue that Liverpool buying their position as they have also significantly improved and done brilliantly in Europe and so it's more a case of Klopp finally getting better players into the areas many on here highlighted as being their weaknesses over the last few seasons. Mourinho's spending is perhaps the one you need to look at and ask perhaps whether he's got the players that really work for his system. As yesterday showed they still seem very erratic at times
    The point I was making regarding Liverpool is that spending is relative. They have spent big compared to Huddersfield or Brighton etc. It was a flippant comment as Liverpool have spent well within budget and presumably with the Couthino money they are in credit or close to it. However, the league places tend to mirror spending year after year.

  6. #14386
    Hall of Famer HomerJSimpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bracknell - Berkshire
    Posts
    61,781

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    The point I was making regarding Liverpool is that spending is relative. They have spent big compared to Huddersfield or Brighton etc. It was a flippant comment as Liverpool have spent well within budget and presumably with the Couthino money they are in credit or close to it. However, the league places tend to mirror spending year after year.
    And places will reflect spending going forward. The days of a Forest etc being a team put together by a manager and coached to win titles are long gone and will never come back. Money talks and all clubs, especially those with CL or PL aspirations will simply go and buy the best players they can to cover gaps. It's across Europe of course and not just the PL. I'd love to see some sort of transfer/salary caps for each league so there is a level playing field for each and every side

  7. #14387
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    8,997

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Agreed Homer

  8. #14388
    Global Moderator PhilTheFragger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Amersham Bucks
    Posts
    10,300

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    The days of a Forest etc being a team put together by a manager and coached to win titles are long gone and will never come back.

    Leicester City 👍

  9. #14389
    Major Champion chrisd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    19,128

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilTheFragger View Post
    Leicester City 👍
    Don't start being clever Fragger 🤣🤣
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

    Handicap 12.0

  10. #14390
    Hall of Famer HomerJSimpson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bracknell - Berkshire
    Posts
    61,781

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilTheFragger View Post
    Leicester City 👍
    Good point well made but I think we'd both agree as much chance of that happening again as either of us reaching Cat 1.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

17 Ways To Tell You’re Obsessed With Golf

The tell-tale signs that you are a true golf fanatic

April 19, 2018

When Is Tiger Woods Next Playing?

The 14-time major champion has looked close to his best so far in 2018. But when is Tiger Woods next playing?

April 18, 2018

World Number One Amateur Joaquin Niemann Turns Pro

The 19-year-old Chilean has turned professional and will make his pro debut in Texas this week

April 18, 2018

Valero Texas Open Golf Betting Tips

The PGA Tour are in the lone star state this week, check out who the GM Tipster has gone for with these Valero Texas Open Golf Betting Tips

April 17, 2018

Trophee Hassan II Golf Betting Tips

The European Tour are in Morocco this week, check out who will think will win with our Trophee Hassan II Golf Betting Tips

April 17, 2018