Page 524 of 546 FirstFirst ... 24424474514522523524525526534 ... LastLast
Results 5,231 to 5,240 of 5454
    Money List Winner

Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in Munich View Post
    You didn't directly say that we had an inferior midfield but you inferred it by stating that Gerrard would have been the star man, suggesting we were some way short. Yes of course hindsight is 20/20 but I can't think of a Chelsea supporter I know that wanted Gerrard, we were quite happy with what we had and I'd say that history has proved that choice to be a pretty good one.
    I donít think I inferred anything. I made it clear that imo the club wanted Gerrard and given the likelihood of who heíd compete/replace they felt Gerrard was better.

Thats not me saying you were worse without him. Simply that it looked like the club believed they could do with improvement.

Re the good choice. Thatís hindsight so no point really discussing it further (id already agreed it worked out for the best).
    Handicap Challenge: Papas1982 18.1 Vs Fish 18.0

I donít think that Chelsea would have ever got the same performances from Gerrard as he did for Liverpool - Gerrard always gave that extra little bit more beyond because he was playing for his club - that wouldnít have happened at Chelsea so whilst he still would have been a good player for them I donít think they would have got his best

As for who shoold have been dropped - for me it should have always been Gerrard and Scholes in the middle - they complimented each other superbly. Lampard as a attacking mid was top class , a world class goalscoring midfielder but for me I donít think Lampard could have done what Gerrard did in 05 and then again in 06 - Gerrard carried the team many times and at times surrounded by poor players , Lampard came into his own for Chelsea when he was surrounded by better players especially ones that could let him go forward with freedom to score his goals.

Gerrard and Lampard both naturally wanted to burst forward- Gerrard carrying the ball and Lampard looking to burst onto the ball to score - when they played together they both couldnít do that so itís was Gerrard who was the one who sacrificed his natural game to allow Lampard to play his because I donít think Lampard could have anchored the midfield - thatís why England at times didnít get the best of Gerrard. England should have imo looked to play three in the middle - one sitting and then letting Gerrard and Lampard both play in their natural roles - that would have meant either Rooney or Owen missing out or putting Rooney in a wider role plus there was Beckham who only fitted one role - so England had to go for the two in the middle.

Gutsy enough performance from Northern Ireland without finding a breathrough. Shame a dodgy, no very dodgy penalty, did for them

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in Munich View Post
    You didn't directly say that we had an inferior midfield but you inferred it by stating that Gerrard would have been the star man, suggesting we were some way short. Yes of course hindsight is 20/20 but I can't think of a Chelsea supporter I know that wanted Gerrard, we were quite happy with what we had and I'd say that history has proved that choice to be a pretty good one.
    Who knows? That history could have been better, or could have been worse, we'll never know.

What I do know is that Stevie had a great record of scoring in finals and major games, with an inferior list of players at Liverpool. I think hes still the only player to score in League, FA, Europa and Champions league finals, as well as many others in semis etc.

Lampard's goals no doubt helped to win the league for you on a few occasions, but did he score many important/final goals for you (I dont know). I do remember the league winning goals against Bolton, but dont know if many finals goals. On the other hand Stevie may have done a Torres (although I personally doubt it).

I watched his whole career from start to end, and in my time I've never seen a more complete midfielder anywhere. Better goalscorers, tacklers, more skilful etc yes, but no-one who had the whole package, like him.

I think that 90% of Chelsea fans wanted him at the time, and would have chanced the conundrum of putting him and Lampard together to see what happened. One thing I did always notice is that over 10 years Lampard and Gerrard rarely played well in Chelsea vs Liverpool games, for some reason, so you may not have always seen the best of him (in the flesh).

With the opportunities at Chelsea and his big game scoring record, I for one think that you could have been on the end of an extra 1-2 champions league wins, and dont forget you may have gotten to 2 more Champs league finals and an FA cup final, if he would have worn your colours.......

I've just watched the Alan Shearer documentary on Dementia and football. A very interesting and emotional subject for those involved. Distinct parallels with the NFL concussion fundings, except that the FA are currently behind the curve in research and facts regarding consistently heading the ball (mainly in training) and a link to dementia. To their credit, the FA have just commissioned a study to provide football with more cold hard facts so that informed decisions can be made.
    Titleist 910 D3 RIP x-stiff
    Titleist 915F 3W Rogue x-stiff

Mizuno H4 2i DG X100
    Mizuno MP53 3-PW DG X100

Cleveland CG15 DSG 52į, 58į
    Odyssey Sabretooth 33" with VIBE

Callaway Chrome Soft X Truvis Yellow/Black Footballs
    Titleist RC Cart Bag
    Under Armour Golf Shoes
    Garmin S1
    No official h/c
    PW Swing. 6i Swing. 3i Swing.

Major Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Piece View Post
    I've just watched the Alan Shearer documentary on Dementia and football. A very interesting and emotional subject for those involved. Distinct parallels with the NFL concussion fundings, except that the FA are currently behind the curve in research and facts regarding consistently heading the ball (mainly in training) and a link to dementia. To their credit, the FA have just commissioned a study to provide football with more cold hard facts so that informed decisions can be made.
    I watched the programme as well. Alan Shearer was surprisingly good, and adding his name to the debate should help get more research funded.
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.5

Cooden Beach Centenary Fourball Betterball champion with Smiffy.

Quote Originally Posted by richart View Post
    I watched the programme as well. Alan Shearer was surprisingly good, and adding his name to the debate should help get more research funded.
    I watched it too. Sad to see the likes of Chris Nichol looking so old and struggling. Interesting and good that the FA are looking at the effects and while I don't think we need to ban heading in junior football like the US until there are some solid research results, you have to wonder how long the FA and to what degree their research will take

Interesting 1st half, impressed with Gomez, not over awed at all.

Ryder Cup Winner

Good performance from England, Brazil are just awesome.

Challenge Tour Pro

If Brazil have that much possession in the second half it will just be matter of time before they score, they are just so good when they have the ball and have so much time on the ball.

I thought the first 15 mins were good but after that we tended to sit back to much and when we did get the ball we gave it away to quick.