Page 1422 of 1462 FirstFirst ... 422922132213721412142014211422142314241432 ... LastLast
Results 14,211 to 14,220 of 14611
  1. #14211
    Money List Winner Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    8,264

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrown7582 View Post
    Yep 99 was a good year!
    Ain't that the truth .

  2. #14212
    Ryder Cup Winner Liverbirdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    13,932

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    As with everything it all depends on how how you look at things

    In the transfer market this year Liverpool have made a profit of just under £30 mil - so any money they have spent has been from Money given in for players

    City are at a loss of £180mil
    Utd loss of £130 mil
    Spurs evens
    Arsenal made a profit of £9mil
    Chelsea a loss of £110 mil


    Paints a little bit of a different picture donít you think

    Can see that three clubs have no issues with having to balance books where as some other clubs need ensure they spend wisely

    So yep we are third in Money spent - a couple million more than Utd ( but doesnít add in whatever money has been spent on Sanchez ) but I beleive the point is that Liverpool are a club that needs to work to a sensible financial model
    Some people always fail to grasp why nett spend is important, as it normally means for 98% of clubs that you may have to lose players that you would rather keep if you have to balance the books, as we have had to do.

    Its the difference between having Torres AND Suarez, Coutinho AND VVD, Suarez AND Salah etc. Equally for Spurs like Bale AND Kane, and for Arsenal, Everton as well.

    Others can have massive squads with unhappy and used players also not having to be moved on as a priority to, again, balance the books. .
    Last edited by Liverbirdie; 12-Apr-2018 at 11:33.

  3. #14213
    Major Champion Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    19,975

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverbirdie View Post
    Some people always fail to grasp why nett spend is important, as it normally means for 98% of clubs that you may have to lose players that you would rather keep if you have to balance the books, as we have had to do.

    Its the difference between having Torres AND Suarez, Coutinho AND VVD, Suarez AND Salah etc. Equally for Spurs like Bale AND Kane, and for Arsenal, Everton as well.

    Others can have massive squads with unhappy and used players also not having to be moved on as a priority to, again, balance the books. .
    But transfer markets are just 1 part of the commercial cost centers at a football club.

    As has been said, its all very subjective, especially when looking at cost centers in isolation, you can't make a true evaluation without looking at the full P&L and also seeing what large scale debts are being depreciated over a number of years or being put into a single financial year and thus announcing a large scale loss only to make a profit the following year!

    Liverpool's revenue is increasing across many of the indicators, but in reality, the bottomline is currently right up it's backside due to constant investment, which is a good thing if you have a strong enough brand, which Liverpool has.

    As such when those investment costs flatten out, and the revenue stabilizes or carries on increasing, then the profit margins increase accordingly.

    But these league tables each year are a folly and smoke & mirrors as they don't paint a full story of a clubs finances, like when Klop (and back staff) arrived and Rodgers disposed of, along with ground investment meant a loss of nearly £20m was reported, so annual flash figures in the transfer market mean very little if there's substantial spending going on elsewhere.

    Commercially Liverpool are sound, so they can afford to go into debt and invest as the brand is strong, like United, but other clubs like City don't have such brand awareness so if the fans dropped off (like at Arsenal) and as a consequence of that commercial revenue starts to struggle, then they become less fashionable and belts have to be tightened and the club reverts to being a flash in the pan only due to capital injection which wasn't sustainable.

    There is, IMO, a huge difference between the likes of City and Liverpool and there individual brand as a football club, Liverpool are invest able, City are not.

    As such I'd not get hung up if I was a Liverpool fan and saw the club in debt by any amount as its recoverable, I wouldn't say the same for City, long or short term as they can only maintain there fashion ability by constant spending, they have no unique selling point or brand to become self sustainable IMO, as their empty seats each week endorse.

    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...-lose-12671725
    Last edited by Fish; 12-Apr-2018 at 12:17.

  4. #14214
    Ryder Cup Winner Liverbirdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    13,932

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    But transfer markets are just 1 part of the commercial cost centers at a football club.

    As has been said, its all very subjective, especially when looking at cost centers in isolation, you can't make a true evaluation without looking at the full P&L and also seeing what large scale debts are being depreciated over a number of years or being put into a single financial year and thus announcing a large scale loss only to make a profit the following year!

    Liverpool's revenue is increasing across many of the indicators, but in reality, the bottomline is currently right up it's backside due to constant investment, which is a good thing if you have a strong enough brand, which Liverpool has.

    As such when those investment costs flatten out, and the revenue stabilizes or carries on increasing, then the profit margins increase accordingly.

    But these league tables each year are a folly and smoke & mirrors as they don't paint a full story of a clubs finances, like when Klop (and back staff) arrived and Rodgers disposed of, along with ground investment meant a loss of nearly £20m was reported, so annual flash figures in the transfer market mean very little if there's substantial spending going on elsewhere.

    Commercially Liverpool are sound, so they can afford to go into debt and invest as the brand is strong, like United, but other clubs like City don't have such brand awareness so if the fans dropped off (like at Arsenal) and as a consequence of that commercial revenue starts to struggle, then they become less fashionable and belts have to be tightened and the club reverts to being a flash in the pan only due to capital injection which wasn't sustainable.

    There is, IMO, a huge difference between the likes of City and Liverpool and there individual brand as a football club, Liverpool are invest able, City are not.

    As such I'd not get hung up if I was a Liverpool fan and saw the club in debt by any amount as its recoverable, I wouldn't say the same for City, long or short term as they can only maintain there fashion ability by constant spending, they have no unique selling point or brand to become self sustainable IMO, as their empty seats each week endorse.

    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...-lose-12671725
    I get you, and agree with a lot of that but when City decide to buy a Sterling from you (or Chelsea a Torres), and it weakens you, its all irrelevant whether the other club is sustainable, or not. They are weakening you and strengthening themselves, due to a big-spending billionaire.

    I've been equally as critical about our owners about backing the manager enough over the last 5 years, the one saving grace is that Anfield is expanding, so should help our long term future with regards to having more income and being more profitable. Extending and joining up our youth development/melwood may also be great, but we wont be able to tell for another 5-15 years.

    Chelsea also showed a nett profit the other year, mainly due to finally getting rid of the 20-30 players they "banked" over 5 years, which as you say is not a true reflection of their real situation. I think a 1-3 year nett spend is a truer reflection of nett spend. We will show in the black due to the recent Coutinho sale, but by next year we may well be 100 mill in the red.
    Last edited by Liverbirdie; 12-Apr-2018 at 14:16.

  5. #14215
    Money List Winner Papas1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    5,921

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverbirdie View Post
    I get you, and agree with a lot of that but when City decide to buy a Sterling from you (or Chelsea a Torres), and it weakens you, its all irrelevant whether the other club is sustainable, or not. They are weakening you and strengthening themselves, due to a big-spending billionaire.

    I've been equally as critical about our owners about backing the manager enough over the last 5 years, the one saving grace is that Anfield is expanding, so should help our long term future with regards to having more income and being more profitable. Extending and joining up our youth development/melwood may also be great, but we wont be able to tell for another 5-15 years.

    Chelsea also showed a nett profit the other year, mainly due to finally getting rid of the 20-30 players they "banked" over 5 years, which as you say is not a true reflection of their real situation. I think a 1-3 year nett spend is a truer reflection of nett spend. We will show in the black due to the recent Coutinho sale, but by next year we may well be 100 mill in the red.
    Not sure thereís eniugh talent left in our squad for you to spend anymore! Not to mention with these owners ya wonít!
    My own H4H. Challenge. Get to 16 or pop £20in the pot.

  6. #14216
    Money List Winner MegaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In the slow lane...
    Posts
    5,111

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Thankfully all seems to be going smoothly for the travelling Gooners in Moscow...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

  7. #14217
    Ryder Cup Winner fundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes, Bucks
    Posts
    14,065

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    horrid first half, no intent going forward and then concede a pretty soft goal. since the goal weve sat deeper and deeper when the easiest way to put it to bed is to score, instead were just inviting a load of pressure. could be a long 45 mins if we dont get a footing in midfield
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

    Handicap: 7

  8. #14218
    Ryder Cup Winner fundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes, Bucks
    Posts
    14,065

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    great decision to go to 5 at the back and invite even more pressure sigh. Cech moves about as well as I do these days, looking old!
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

    Handicap: 7

  9. #14219
    Ryder Cup Winner fundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milton Keynes, Bucks
    Posts
    14,065

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Calum Chambers coming on at 2-0 down to shore things up, what could ever go wrong lol
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

    Handicap: 7

  10. #14220
    Ryder Cup Winner Stuart_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    11,215

    Re: And, we're off, 2017/18.......

    Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    Calum Chambers coming on at 2-0 down to shore things up, what could ever go wrong lol
    Haha this isnít were he comes on, scores a screamer and sawtooth trolls you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Sunday Trading: Deals On Under Armour, Training Aids, Accessories And More!

Check out these great deals we've found this week...

April 22, 2018

WATCH: Tiger Woods Clinic

The 14-time major winner gave a clinic at his new course and he was on form!

April 20, 2018

Charley Hullís Unexpected Club Change For LA Open

England's Charley Hull struggled to adapt to her new equipment in the LA Open after British Airways lost her clubs.

April 20, 2018

How Golf Has Changed Since Arsene Wenger Took Over At Arsenal

Arsene Wenger announced that he will be leaving Arsenal after 22 years. Here's what golf looked like when he took over in October 1996...

April 20, 2018

Irish Stars to play in Adare Manor curtain-raiser

As part of a stunning new design at the Limerick-based course, Adare Manor is hosting a charity event to celebrate its opening.

April 20, 2018