Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tour Rookie

Re: Callaway drivers - 24 in 5 years !

It's great they bring so many out, makes them cheaper quicker for tight arses like me.
    : TM M2: TM V-Steel 13*: Titleist 910 21*: Cleveland 588cb 4-PW: Callaway MD3 52/8 & 58/9: Ping Redwood AnswerH/C 5

During my fitting at silvermere I tried a ping (hated the sound), m2 (didn't like the white) and the epic sub zero.
    got the epic as it gave the best numbers by far in low spin, dispersion and distance. Can't see anything knocking that out the bag for a long time
    in my bag; all LH Callaway Epic sub zero driver with fujikura pro green x flex shaft, Epic Sub zero 3 wood with fujikura pro green x flex, Mizuno Tour Proven Original blades (3-PW) Cleveland CG15 wedges (52,56,60), Scotty Cameron Del Mar putter, Callaway Chrome soft balls

After all the hype on twitter, it was nice to see he could not be arsed doing the full test.

Really just proves that when a Pro hits a modern driver out of the middle of the club, you're going to get pretty similar data. I reckon you could test almost any driver from the last 5 years and, when hit from the middle, you'd get the same results. Most of us wouldn't be surprised by that.
    A real test of modern drivers would be looking at the off centre hit data, the forgiveness - this is where I feel the only real improvement in drivers has occurred recently.
    Another test, using Crash Test Dobby or with Rick and Pete deliberately hitting off centre will, k feel, show a bigger difference between the RAZR and the Epic...
    Epic 10
    Fusion 3w 15
    Big Bertha 5w 19
    Big Bertha 4h 22
    CF 16 5-PW
    Apex GW
    MD2 54/14 , 58/14c
    ProType 2-Ball

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Here's the Shiels video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOoyBoHPVzs

Amazing to think how many drivers Callaway have released. Some of these must have really bombed in terms of sales and had a short shelf life
    Or

Some of these must have really soared in terms of sales (and sold out the manufactured run to retailers double quick) allowing them to get cracking on the next incarnation

(I have no idea which it was I just don't always look at glass half full)

I think the results were pretty predictable from a reasonably consistent ball striker, but I tried, and bought, the 2016 M2 driver because it was up there in distance for me but more particularly because it's one of the easiest drivers (for me) to hit well. I'm sure the SLDR will go just as far but not in my hands.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

There really wasn't much in it, though. Actually, the RAZR, which was the oldest one tested, came out second in most of the data and was only 7 yards behind the EPIC and XR16 in carry distance. Maybe Rick will have Rob do the test as well, that would give a better insight into forgiveness and how the drivers react to being hit with a slower, probable more "normal" swing speed. But I really think, if you go and buy a five year old model, either used or as demo club, as opposed to a current model, you save about 400 to 500 pounds and get a product that is performing almost as well.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60, Odyssey White Hot putter

Tour Rookie

I don't think its that bad because it means people who don't want to pay over the odds for the latest driver can get last years model for cheaper

Saying that the TM M2 2016 did they completely dry up the stock? their like gold dust brand new
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter

Such a cop out to only test 5 of them. All that hype for nothing.
    @DanManley2501 on Twitter

Taylormade M1
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons 4-SW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52* Wedge
    Callaway MD3 58* Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
    Bushnell V4 Slope

Handicap: 14.0

Lancaster GC

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2501 View Post
    Such a cop out to only test 5 of them. All that hype for nothing.
    I agree, one of the most disappointing videos he has ever done. Was literally pointless.
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank