Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 111
  1. #101
    Head Pro Yant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    276

    Re: Do you really want a hole in one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yant View Post
    Been playing since i was 12 (so 30 years). I've hit hundreds of thousands of balls and probably played tens of thousands of par 3's.

    Never had a hole in one.
    Just to add to this, it's not like i haven't been close. Over those 30 years, i've had the ball sitting on the lip (i mean right on the lip of the hole) several times, just not gone in. Hit the pin several times. Pitched past the flag and spun back shaving the cup, didn't go in. Only the other week my ball pitched onto the edge of the hole itself and bounced up hitting the flag, but didn't go in.

    It's not the be all and end all, but i want one just so i don't have to think about it every time i stand on a par 3 tee! lol
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19º stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52º, 55º, 60º)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

  2. #102
    Journeyman Pro IanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,741

    Re: Do you really want a hole in one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yant View Post
    Just to add to this, it's not like i haven't been close. Over those 30 years, i've had the ball sitting on the lip (i mean right on the lip of the hole) several times, just not gone in. Hit the pin several times. Pitched past the flag and spun back shaving the cup, didn't go in. Only the other week my ball pitched onto the edge of the hole itself and bounced up hitting the flag, but didn't go in.

    It's not the be all and end all, but i want one just so i don't have to think about it every time i stand on a par 3 tee! lol

    ...yep...feel your pain, all of that sounds familiar! Tomorrow we go again!
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

  3. #103
    Money List Winner ScienceBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    8,474

    Re: Do you really want a hole in one?

    Of course, who wouldn’t want an eagle. I would like to pose questions to those who say no. I think we have things to learn from them!

    Those who say no are not lying but I think actually they do want one. They just want it from a different perspective.

    In my opinion, like any good hole it should not be the detriment to the rest of the round, that takes mental strength.

    So actually I’m saying I don’t need one, I wouldn’t turn down any eagle but I would group it with my other eagles rather than a thing on its own.

  4. #104
    Challenge Tour Pro
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    661

    Re: Do you really want a hole in one?

    I've had 2, both from really well struck shots

    6i from an elevated tee so saw it all the way and knew it would be fairly close (remember asking the wind to leave it alone which it did)

    The other was uphill so semi-blind with an 8i. Again thought it would be close but nicely suprised when we saw it was in

    Although both were 'intended' they still needed some luck (wind/bounce/roll etc)

    Also seen 3 others, best was a wedge that spun back in, tour style

    Another was a chap in his 70's who wasn't too pleased until we told him the bar bill was covered by the club

  5. #105
    Club Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    90

    Re: Do you really want a hole in one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I know the chances of me getting one are so slim that it doesn't bother. Last week I watched my mate put one 6 inches from the hole. He's never had one so that was heart in mouth time for a second. Might be the closest he ever comes.
    i wouldn't be so sure. i took up golf in July last year. seven months later i'd hit one. you just never know.

  6. #106
    Journeyman Pro Orikoru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    1,659

    Re: Do you really want a hole in one?

    Quote Originally Posted by chip barm View Post
    i wouldn't be so sure. i took up golf in July last year. seven months later i'd hit one. you just never know.
    The chances are still slim. Just not impossible. Slim enough that I really don't think about it. Obviously my intention is get it as near the hole as possible anyway.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0, 56°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • WilsonStaff DX2
    H'cap J/F M/A M/J J/A S/O N/D end yr review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0

  7. #107
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    8,436

    Re: Do you really want a hole in one?

    Do people really expect someone still to buy everyone in the bar a drink? I'll be honest, I wouldn't if I got one. If it was my home club the form now is to buy a bottle, whisky, Baileys, whatever, put out some glasses and people can take a tot if they want. If it was at another course I'd get them in for my pp but not everyone else. The bill could be horrific otherwise.

    I certainly wouldn't expect it if a total stranger got one and I just happened to be there.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Radius Classic No. 7 Putter

  8. #108
    Head Pro Yant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    276

    Re: Do you really want a hole in one?

    i take it everyone saw this the other day?

    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19º stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52º, 55º, 60º)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

  9. #109
    Ryder Cup Winner garyinderry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,013

    Re: Do you really want a hole in one?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScienceBoy View Post
    Of course, who wouldn’t want an eagle. I would like to pose questions to those who say no. I think we have things to learn from them!

    Those who say no are not lying but I think actually they do want one. They just want it from a different perspective.

    In my opinion, like any good hole it should not be the detriment to the rest of the round, that takes mental strength.

    So actually I’m saying I don’t need one, I wouldn’t turn down any eagle but I would group it with my other eagles rather than a thing on its own.
    The feeling you get from a hole in one is completely different to that of a eagle. No contest.


    I was playing rubbish before my one dropped and I didn't play any better after. The only difference is I was walking about in a kind of dreamy daze with a smile of my face.

    A hole in one IS a HULLUVA drug.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

  10. #110
    Challenge Tour Pro
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    661

    Re: Do you really want a hole in one?

    Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post
    The feeling you get from a hole in one is completely different to that of a eagle. No contest.


    I was playing rubbish before my one dropped and I didn't play any better after. The only difference is I was walking about in a kind of dreamy daze with a smile of my face.

    A hole in one IS a HULLUVA drug.
    This. Much more than 'just' an eagle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Tiger Woods To Hit “Four Or Five” Drivers A Day At Honda Classic

The 14-time major winner will surely hit more fairways this week at PGA National, revealing he's only going to hit "four or five" drivers per round

February 22, 2018

Smarter Ways to Lower Scores 2018 powered by Cobra Puma Golf

2 golfers will get the chance to lower their scores the ‘smarter way’ this year via our bigger and better 'Smarter Ways to Lower Scores 2018' project powered by Cobra Puma Golf

February 21, 2018

4 Ways to Improve Your Short Game Strikes

In this video, GM Top 25 coach John Jacobs shows 4 fail-safe chipping methods to help you stop wasting shots around the greens

February 21, 2018

Jim Furyk Names Woods And Stricker As Ryder Cup Vice Captains

Woods and Stricker will join Davis Love III as Jim Furyk's vice captains at Le Golf National

February 21, 2018

The Honda Classic Golf Betting Tips

A strong European contingent has assembled in Florida, check out who we think will do well with these The Honda Classic Golf Betting Tips

February 20, 2018