Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Grrr! Flaming Bosch Washing Machine

bearing failure is still a common problem across all brands, including Miele, believe it or not its all the soaps fault

the soap residue left in the machines corrodes the rubber bearing seal which lets water in to flush out all the bearing grease

top tip do at least a boil wash once a month, preferably with a washing machine cleaner or some soda crystals etc.

A good article this.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/b...ou-should-care

Interesting to read the post above about water seals but the bearing size and quality has also changed a lot over the years according to the article. Seems as the drums get bigger the bearings get smaller!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    Sadly the current produce from the Bosch group factories is nothing like the quality of years back. Miele are the only quality made machines.
    You can add Samsung to the list, my wife says it's fantastic and trouble free to date.
    Cobra Bio Cell 9.5º Project X PXv graphite shaft - Stiff flex.
    TM R11 Hybrid 18º, Aldila RIP Reg Shaft.
    Callaway Big Bertha 4 wood. (Go to club).
    TM R11's 4 - SW Regular steel.
    TM R11 50° Attack Wedge.
    Titleist
    Vokey Spin Milled 60º Lob Wedge.
    Scotty Cameron
    Studio Select Fastback No. 1.5.
    Loads & loads of golf balls.
    15,799 Swing thoughts. Rules book. 7 year old lucky tee peg (Broken).
    Hope............lots of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Slime View Post
    You can add Samsung to the list, my wife says it's fantastic and trouble free to date.
    No thanks, I won't.
    What is it they say, "quality and class are permanent, form is temporary".
    Having had to repair quite a few Samsungs, I wouldn't put them anywhere near Miele.

Most modern machines have reduced the diameter of both drum bearings and even worse some have opted for single bearings. The stresses on these smaller bearings is rediculous, and couple that with the move to plastic outer drums with the bearings pressed in place means that 1 of the water seals that would have been present is gone.

I should add that Miele despite what was said in the link, do not use sealed drums, and still have the bearings and seals in a bearing crosspiece, or spider as we called them. You can't seal a stainless steel drum.
    Last edited by Bunkermagnet; 20-May-2017 at 17:29.
    Forever trying.

When I was looking for my current machine I was looking at an LG one. I seem to remember that drum was spun by magnets, no bearings required. Sounded very clever. I don't know how they work over time but is made sense to my non mechanical mind.

LG machine like every one on market has drum bearings tbh they are one of the worst for bearing failure, the magnets you speak off are whats known as direct drive induction motor, means no need for belt

the motors are pretty much bullet proof

you used to be able to hammer bearings out and rehammer new ones in, nowadays if you go anywhere near a drum with a hammer you will have plastic flying all over place

Quote Originally Posted by chellie View Post
    Sure that not all Bosch machines are made in Germany now. We bought a Miele when our Bosch died because of that reason.
    Bought a Miele Vac and it was rubbish, scrapped it and went back to a Henry.
    Play it cool Trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by SocketRocket View Post
    Bought a Miele Vac and it was rubbish, scrapped it and went back to a Henry.
    the Bosch athlete is best battery powered vac you can buy, awesome thing ( admittedly I'm biased about that as well)

Quote Originally Posted by jpxpro View Post
    LG machine like every one on market has drum bearings tbh they are one of the worst for bearing failure, the magnets you speak off are whats known as direct drive induction motor, means no need for belt

the motors are pretty much bullet proof
    Thanks for that. I remember it removed some previously key part but obviously I got it wrong. They do look really sexy though, if a washing machine ever can be 😁