Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DQ or not - part 3

Stableford comp.

Player A signs for a 7 but he got more than a 7. He marked himself on the other scorecard where he is marker with "-" indicating a blob. When I checked with player he confirmed that yes it was more than a 7.

DQ ? And if so 6-6 (d) wrong gross score recorded?
    H'cap 8.9

Re: DQ or not - part 3

Doesn't matter what he marked himself as on the other card, that is on him for failing to check his scores (the entire point of the markers column), all that matters is the card with his name on it. The rules don't deal with Stableford scoring, they revolve around gross scores, hence why they are the only record required on the card.

DQ from comp 6-6d as you say, but I believe the score remains valid for handicapping
    9.5* Ping i20 Stock Stiff
    15* Taylormade R15 Fujikura FUEL 60 S
    18* Adams Pro DHY Aldila Tour Blue 85 S
    4-PW John Letters Master Model S300
    52*,56*,60* John Letters Tour Black DG Spinner
    34" Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
    2016 Handicap par 73 SSS71 - 10.0 -> 10.1 (NR,95 adj) -> 10.2 (net 79)
    http://www.driftgolfclub.com/golf/

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    Stableford comp.

Player A signs for a 7 but he got more than a 7. He marked himself on the other scorecard where he is marker with "-" indicating a blob. When I checked with player he confirmed that yes it was more than a 7.

DQ ? And if so 6-6 (d) wrong gross score recorded?
    What he marked on any other card but his own is irrelevant.

32-2. Disqualification Penalties

a. From the Competition

A competitor is disqualified from the competition if he incurs a penalty of disqualification under any of the following:
    - Rule 6-6d Wrong Score for Hole, i.e., when the recorded score is lower than actually taken, except that no penalty is incurred when a breach of this Rule does not affect the result of the hole

If it was a par 4 I wonder if he put in a 7 even though he got greater than that causing it to be blob (no score) and was only highlighting it as a nett double bogey for handicap purposes?

If it was stableford whether he placed a 7, 9 or 12 on his card assuming it was a par 4 and a shot hole is kind of irrelevant, he didn't score on that hole and it couldn't affect anything!
    Member of http://www.coventrygolf.co.uk/

www.justgiving.com/GolfMonthlyForumHFH2017

Handicap Challenge: Papas1982 18.1 Vs Fish 17.5

19 months without an Infraction!!!

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    If it was a par 4 I wonder if he put in a 7 even though he got greater than that causing it to be blob (no score) and was only highlighting it as a nett double bogey for handicap purposes?

If it was stableford whether he placed a 7, 9 or 12 on his card assuming it was a par 4 and a shot hole is kind of irrelevant, he didn't score on that hole and it couldn't affect anything!
    More than just kind of irrelevant.

The OP stated it was a Stableford and so the exception in Rule 32-2 quoted above is applicable. If a gross score of 7 did not earn any points, there is no penalty for recording the 7 when in fact he took more strokes.

(It's not quite the case, by the way, that a 7 wouldn't earn a point on a par 4. A player getting 2 strokes at the hole would.)
    Last edited by Colin L; 19-May-2017 at 04:58.

Quote Originally Posted by rulie View Post
    What he marked on any other card but his own is irrelevant.

32-2. Disqualification Penalties

a. From the Competition

A competitor is disqualified from the competition if he incurs a penalty of disqualification under any of the following:
    - Rule 6-6d Wrong Score for Hole, i.e., when the recorded score is lower than actually taken, except that no penalty is incurred when a breach of this Rule does not affect the result of the hole
    Well I learnt something
    9.5* Ping i20 Stock Stiff
    15* Taylormade R15 Fujikura FUEL 60 S
    18* Adams Pro DHY Aldila Tour Blue 85 S
    4-PW John Letters Master Model S300
    52*,56*,60* John Letters Tour Black DG Spinner
    34" Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
    2016 Handicap par 73 SSS71 - 10.0 -> 10.1 (NR,95 adj) -> 10.2 (net 79)
    http://www.driftgolfclub.com/golf/

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    More than just kind of irrelevant.

The OP stated it was a Stableford and so the exception in Rule 32-2 quoted above is applicable. If a gross score of 7 did not earn any points, there is no penalty for recording the 7 when in fact he took more strokes.

(It's not quite the case, by the way, that a 7 wouldn't earn a point on a par 4. A player getting 2 strokes at the hole would.)
    Yeah I know, but as he placed a "-" in his marker box he obviously didn't score, it was due to that entry and then his card entry (7) that I think he just put in his net double score.
    Member of http://www.coventrygolf.co.uk/

www.justgiving.com/GolfMonthlyForumHFH2017

Handicap Challenge: Papas1982 18.1 Vs Fish 17.5

19 months without an Infraction!!!

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Yeah I know, but as he placed a "-" in his marker box he obviously didn't score, it was due to that entry and then his card entry (7) that I think he just put in his net double score.
    You may well be right but you cannot make any inference from what is or isn't noted in the marker's column of the other card and must take the 7 as the gross score, deduct whatever strokes he received and determine whether the score gained him any points. If it did, he is disqualified; if it didn't there is no penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    You may well be right but you cannot make any inference from what is or isn't noted in the marker's column of the other card and must take the 7 as the gross score, deduct whatever strokes he received and determine whether the score gained him any points. If it did, he is disqualified; if it didn't there is no penalty.
    This actually happened with 2 players in our recent competition and I ended up DQing both because they both would have gained a point with a 7 for 1. Infact they were proper blobs but that's not what they had signed for.

I think that was the right call.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    This actually happened with 2 players in our recent competition and I ended up DQing both because they both would have gained a point with a 7 for 1. Infact they were proper blobs but that's not what they had signed for.

I think that was the right call.