Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Rookie"

"The Rookie"

Just seen GM tweet this.

A complete beginner is going to attempt to learn the game in 6 months with an aim to beat Thomas Bjorn on a par 3 at the Made in Denmark event this August.

It's run by Ecco, and there are already a few videos in the series. Seems like a great series of vids to watch!

Ep 1: https://youtu.be/M0SNdAbWxZ8
    Ep 2: https://youtu.be/0x3e4w7wHsE
    Ep 3: https://youtu.be/DEhdElAI1vk
    Follow me on Twitter: @dufferman

Club Champion

Re: "The Rookie"

I haven't watched any of them but I saw this pop up in my Facebook feed and initially said not a chance, until I then later found out that it was only going to be a single hole

6 months intensive coaching and practice (especially if it is with the club required for the hole they are going to play) makes it entirely possible he could do it, especially if he gets a bit of luck and the pro doesn't hit a good tee shot

Have Ecco got new products coming out shortly?
    Driver - Callaway Great Big Bertha (Speeder 665 Evo II TS) Fairway - Taylormade RBZ 3W, 5W (Matrix Ozik Xcon 5) Irons - Srixon Z545 4-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 130) Wedges - Cleveland RTX 2.0 48CB / 52 / 58 (Nippon WV Wedge Shafts) Putter - Odyssey O-Works 1W Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

If the par 3 is not a long one then any golfer has a chance of beating Bjorn. The longer the hole the more the class will tell but on a short par 3 anyone can nail it on a one off. Good fun gimmick for the brand though.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Thanks for sharing. I've not watched with sound on but will do on my commute home.
    I discuss forum threads, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by dufferman View Post
    Just seen GM tweet this.

A complete beginner is going to attempt to learn the game in 6 months with an aim to beat Thomas Bjorn on a par 3 at the Made in Denmark event this August.

It's run by Ecco, and there are already a few videos in the series. Seems like a great series of vids to watch!

Ep 1: https://youtu.be/M0SNdAbWxZ8
    Ep 2: https://youtu.be/0x3e4w7wHsE
    Ep 3: https://youtu.be/DEhdElAI1vk
    Do you mean a par 3 course or just one hole?? If it's just one hole, what if Bjorn sticks his tee shot like a foot from the pin or something, then the whole process was for nothing since your man would have to hole it in one to actually beat him?
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Do you mean a par 3 course or just one hole?? If it's just one hole, what if Bjorn sticks his tee shot like a foot from the pin or something, then the whole process was for nothing since your man would have to hole it in one to actually beat him?
    On a one off hole the same can apply the other way around.

If I had 5 goes at a 130yd par 3 I would likely put 1 close, two somewhere on the green and 2 misses, push or pull. Bjorn will put 3 within 10ft and the other 2 within 20ft. It may be that my one hit is the close one.

To be fair, if it was a par 3 course then Bjorn wins every time. The other guy needs a punchers chance and the shorter the hole and the fewer holes the more even it is.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Dear God, what will marketing companies come up with next! Drain.........

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Just one hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybez View Post
    Dear God, what will marketing companies come up with next! Drain.........
    Maybe they could tell us that their club/ball/shoe/grips/accessory is the longest/best/comfiest/softest/technological and thats why 100%/80%/90%/most/all professionals use it... cos that line hasn't been used in a while.

I'm assuming its that really short 130 yarder with the ton of people behind it on the massive mound? Every chance the newbie will be able to make a par imo.

Sure they played it at less than 90 yards at some point as well.
    Last edited by Hosel Fade; 17-May-2017 at 13:59.
    9.5* Ping i20 Stock Stiff
    15* Taylormade R15 Fujikura FUEL 60 S
    18* Adams Pro DHY Aldila Tour Blue 85 S
    4-PW John Letters Master Model S300
    52*,56*,60* John Letters Tour Black DG Spinner
    34" Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
    2016 Handicap par 73 SSS71 - 10.0 -> 10.1 (NR,95 adj) -> 10.2 (net 79)
    http://www.driftgolfclub.com/golf/