Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Assistant Pro

Anyone else fed up with matchplay comps against guys with hugh handicaps?

I understand it's meant to be statistically fairer to have full handicaps for single matchplay events but i just don't believe it.

For example I'm 5 hc, i play someone 25 he gets 20 shots. Say i play 20% better than average on the day so shoot 4 over, 1 shot lower. He also plays 20% better, so shoots 20 over, 5 shots lower. Doesn't sound fair to me.

Also many clubs have different categories for medal comps, mine has 5, also bigger buffer sizes so its pretty obvious all categories are not equal otherwise everyone would be happy playing in one category only. So this matchplay full difference is just nonsense.

It's a shame, I'm hearing more and more guys on lowish handicaps not bothering to play anymore, sad its got to that.

Who else feels the same?

Re: Anyone else fed up with matchplay comps against guys with hugh handicaps?

Not me, I don't play handicap matchplay. If I lose, I want to lose to someone who played better, if I win, I want it to be because I played better. I only ever enter the scratch trophy, I always lose to better players in the first round but one year I will win, maybe it will be this year.
    "Golf is a game where you have to understand yourself. You have to understand what your abilities are and you have to play within your own abilities. And if you get outside of that, that's when you get beat" - Jack Nicklaus

Handicap: 8.5

www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by scubascuba3 View Post
    I understand it's meant to be statistically fairer to have full handicaps for single matchplay events but i just don't believe it.

For example I'm 5 hc, i play someone 25 he gets 20 shots. Say i play 20% better than average on the day so shoot 4 over, 1 shot lower. He also plays 20% better, so shoots 20 over, 5 shots lower. Doesn't sound fair to me.

Also many clubs have different categories for medal comps, mine has 5, also bigger buffer sizes so its pretty obvious all categories are not equal otherwise everyone would be happy playing in one category only. So this matchplay full difference is just nonsense.

It's a shame, I'm hearing more and more guys on lowish handicaps not bothering to play anymore, sad its got to that.

Who else feels the same?
    TBH i rarely play against really high handicapper as our knock outs are seeded so you don't have to play against anyone above 12 or 13 until the later stages. though a have had to give someone 23 shots before...that was hard work.

Toughest group i find are the 10-15 handicappers, most are quite competent and some very steady players.

nothing is going to change though so why worry.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Head Pro

All the stats that ever have been collated have shown that lower handicap players win more matches on full handicap than they lose. This can be explained by: the handicap system is designed such that most of the time we will play over handicap. So using your analogy if both the low handipped player and the higher handiapped both play 20% worse than handcap then the low player wins.

Money List Winner

Who else feels the same?
    No me.

Watched it all closely at our club and the 13% advantage (reward for excellence) inherent I CONGU and explicit in the USGA system, still delivers.

I've posted before we actually had a +1 out against a 27 in a singles and it went to the last hole, never having been more than 1 in it all the way round.

Won't always be like that though; statistics and sports are like that!

Same with doubles - in the long term the lower handicap pairs out perform.

All the above is based on a club with relatively stable membership and handicaps; not a lot of new entrants and extremely few new players to the game. People improving will always outperform those going the other way.

Then again it's a common discussion item; normally topped off with posts saying that "the low handicappers no longer enter and the higher ones always win"...
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

on the other hand I love playing low handicap players. I usually have loads of pars or better every round, with a few blobs too. Makes it very easy to win when I get a shot every hole. Obviously frustrating to play against.

Have you asked to set up max handicap allowed tournaments?
    2016: Started Playing->23.0
    2017: 22.7->14.4

Tour Rookie

Our main summer matchplay is played in divisions, so you never get to give more than ten shots. Seems a reasonable compromise. Don't think we even have a scratch matchplay...

Don't have a problem with it. I've been doing for 35 years and have plenty of crystal on the sideboard to show its still weighted in favour of good golf.

Play well and you'll win more than you lose. Occasionally even playing well won't win, but be gracious and recognise that every dog has his day.

We don't do it for a living. Get out there and enjoy the opportunity to play with someone new.
    Give it big humpties

Assistant Pro

For example I'm 5 hc, i play someone 25 he gets 20 shots. Say i play 20% better than average on the day so shoot 4 over, 1 shot lower. He also plays 20% better, so shoots 20 over, 5 shots lower.
    Then you dont understand it really. If you did, you would believe that its statistically fairer, no ?

For example from your own maths:
    1) your average score is not your handicap + SS. If you do indeed average your handicap + SS, then your handicap is being manipulated in some way.
    2) you hit a lot more shots than your handicap. Playing 20% better than your average day, even assuming it were SS+5 is not SS+(5x0.8), it is (SS+5) x 0.8.

Money List Winner

I work on the assumption that I am giving so many shots because I am so much better than they are, I gave 19 shots last week in a club knockout, I won 3&2.
    WS DXi Superlight Driver
    WS Fybrid RS 17°
    WS Fybrid RS 23°
    WS Fybrid RS 26°
    Orka GS5 CTi irons 5-SW
    Titliest Vokey 52/8, 56/8
    Odyssey Works 2ball Fang

Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6, 2017>10.8

My golf blog http://louisesgolfblog.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php