Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern 1 iron

Modern 1 iron

During the Players the commentators seemed to focus in on some players starting to use 1 irons off the tee. Mainly DJ and Rory.

Now I know modern 1 irons aren't the butter knives they used to be and close to impossibly for us mortals to hit, so are they worth considering now ?

Anyone use one ?
    Westy
    ----------------------------
    Official Handicap - May-09 23, Apr-10 20.2, May-11 13.5, April-12 12.7, Sep-12 11.0 (Oh yes), July-13 11.6, Apr-14 12.5, Oct-15 11-5, Feb-16 11.4, Apr-17-11.7, Jun-17-11.8
    http://www.knebworthgolfclub.com
    and
    http://www.chesfielddownsgolf.co.uk

Re: Modern 1 iron

I have a taylormade UDI, buts it a 2 iron, can only think thats what Rory and Dj were using but could be wrong, they are not butter knives, easy to hit hybrid irons that go a great distance, very fond of mine!!
    its the 18 deg I use, but they also, I believe did a 16 deg one (1 iron)
    Ping G400 10.5 Tour 65 x
    Ping G400 3 wood Tour 65 x
    Taylormade 2 iron Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tours Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS V90
    Scotty Cameron Newport M1

Quote Originally Posted by JT77 View Post
    I have a taylormade UDI, buts it a 2 iron, can only think thats what Rory and Dj were using but could be wrong, they are not butter knives, easy to hit hybrid irons that go a great distance, very fond of mine!!
    its the 18 deg I use, but they also, I believe did a 16 deg one (1 iron)
    Might be. They were saying it was a 1 iron, and they had graphite shafts in theirs from what I could see.

I was looking at the TM UDI and they do do a #1 iron version. Actually clubhouse have a deal on for £89, but lowest they have is a #2 iron.

Tempted to have a punt on it and see. I know sometimes my driver is a bit hit and miss. A driving iron could be useful, especially in the summer when you are getting a decent run-out.
    Westy
    ----------------------------
    Official Handicap - May-09 23, Apr-10 20.2, May-11 13.5, April-12 12.7, Sep-12 11.0 (Oh yes), July-13 11.6, Apr-14 12.5, Oct-15 11-5, Feb-16 11.4, Apr-17-11.7, Jun-17-11.8
    http://www.knebworthgolfclub.com
    and
    http://www.chesfielddownsgolf.co.uk

I had a Callaway Big Bertha 1 iron a few years ago. A bloke I worked with had it and couldn't get away with it. I struggled with a driver and thought it worth trying. When I got it right it was marvellous, good distance, piercing trajectory. Problem was the sweet spot was 3mm across. The advantage now is that tech has improved forgiveness and sweet spots. Worth a punt, if it doesn't work you will get close to your money back as there are not many out there and that should keep the value high.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

I've hit the UDI 1 iron and it was very easy to hit, not a butter knife at all. Keen to get one in the bag.
    @DanManley2501 on Twitter

Taylormade M1
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons 4-SW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52* Wedge
    Callaway MD3 58* Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
    Bushnell V4 Slope

Handicap: 14.0

Lancaster GC

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Might be. They were saying it was a 1 iron, and they had graphite shafts in theirs from what I could see.

I was looking at the TM UDI and they do do a #1 iron version. Actually clubhouse have a deal on for £89, but lowest they have is a #2 iron.

Tempted to have a punt on it and see. I know sometimes my driver is a bit hit and miss. A driving iron could be useful, especially in the summer when you are getting a decent run-out.
    Did you have a punt on it? only 4 & 5 iron available now...
    Follow me on Twitter: @dufferman

I've got a Srixon U45 2 iron. Its a real asset in the bag, can out drive most of my PP with it on a pure one.
    A wind cheater & fairway finder, but word of warning. It can be a pain to judge roll out, even more so with the recent dry weather.
    HCP 2017: 5.2 -> 3.8
    Selby GC

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lump View Post
    I've got a Srixon U45 2 iron. Its a real asset in the bag, can out drive most of my PP with it on a pure one.
    A wind cheater & fairway finder, but word of warning. It can be a pain to judge roll out, even more so with the recent dry weather.
    I have the same club and it's a great piece of kit.

For any decent ball striker its a no brainer in when courses are dry and running or windy links tracks. They just hit penetrating lowish running shots and don't want to go left like a hybrid.

I only ever think about putting hybrid back in the bag when its wet and soggy and even then think nah, 2 iron all day.
    Callaway XR 9°
    Ping Anser 14.5°
    Srixon Z U45 18°
    Srixon Z 745 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 50°, 56°, 60°
    Taylormade Itsy Bitsy Spider

Hcap - 4

Srixon U45 2 iron.... Love that thing, its an arrow.
    Taylormade M1 8.75° - Accra FX 260 - M4
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815hy 17° - Veylix Rome 988
    Srixon ZU45 2 Iron - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
    Miura PP 9003 SN 4-PW - N S Pro Modus³ Tour 125S
    Miura Y Grind 50° & 60° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
    Miura K Grind 55° - N S Pro Modus³ 125 Wedge
    Ping Ketsch - 35"

Money List Winner

I've still got my Ping 1 iron from the 1980s.

Every now and then I take it out to the range but can't make any sense out of it.

Shame - used to play without woods when I was younger, and that thing went better than my driver nowadays. Mind you I can't hit a 4 iron either now 😣
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...