Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Head Pro

Blade putter advice

Morning all

So I went for a putter fitting and was completely shocked to find out that a toe weighted blade putter at 34" is where I should be despite the fact I have never used one and am 6'2" !!

The one thing that concerns me is that I love using alignment on putters but am finding it hard looking down at the one single alignment line on the blades I can see

Can anyone recommend to me ANY putter that may have better alignment properties on the blade that I can try?

I am not a 'makeophobe' so all are applicable to me right now from Dunlop to Scotty

Ian
    Driver Ping G LS Tec 9 Degree 65g S Shaft3 Wood Callaway GBB Epic Hzrdus T800 65g S Shaft5 Wood Callaway GBB Epic Hzrdus T800 65g S ShaftHybrid Callaway 4H 22 Degree XR Project X 5.5 R ShaftIrons 4-PW Callaway Steelhead Pro KBS C Taper Lite S ShaftWedges Callaway MD3 50, 54, 58 Deg KBS Tour V S ShaftPutter Tad Moore Handmade TMS Tour 34" Blade

TM Aeroburner TP 8.6 *PX 6.5
    TM Aeroburner TP 14* PX 6.5
    TM Aeroburner TP 18* PX 6.5
    Honma TW 727v 4-pw Nippon Modus 120 x
    Yamamoto Wedges 50,54,58
    Odyssey O works Fang 2 Ball

Re: Blade putter advice

[QUOTE=gmhubble;1692378]Morning all

So I went for a putter fitting and was completely shocked to find out that a toe weighted blade putter at 34" is where I should be despite the fact I have never used one and am 6'2" !!

The one thing that concerns me is that I love using alignment on putters but am finding it hard looking down at the one single alignment line on the blades I can see

/QUOTE]

So someone is telling you what you should use, without taking any consideration of your own personal preferences?

Your likes and dislikes are all part of the selection process, what appeals to you visually is a large part of that.

My suggestion is completely ignore the recommendation of what style you should use, just use what you like, but there's nothing unusual about someone your height using a 34" putter, that sounds fine.

Read the OP with interest and as Three says above, my own view would be completely ignore the advice. I see no reason why you should be confined to use a blade putter. Did your fitter give you a reason for the recommendation of that style.

I'd try out a load of 34"-ers in any style you fancy and pick the one you like and that gives you best results.
    I used to have a signature until it became unfashionable.

Head Pro

Hi all

Yes - apparently I have an arc to my swing and am best suited to a blade style putter - this was then confirmed by the eye line test

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by gmhubble View Post
    Hi all

Yes - apparently I have an arc to my swing and am best suited to a blade style putter - this was then confirmed by the eye line test

Ian
    I've never bought into this.
    I just think that whatever putter you like, and whatever hits the ball on your chosen line and distance most comfortably and consistently, is the putter for you.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by gmhubble View Post
    Hi all

Ian
    I made this change last year and has meant I hit the ball on intended line more than I used to.

If it's been recommended and works for you, go for it, whether others buy into it or not irrelevant.

As for the alignment, used a lot of mallets previously and had same concen but didn't notice after a few weeks.

Good luck
    Resident @ People's Republic of Mancunia

'Golfing' @ www.mangc.co.uk & www.conwygolfclub.com

Another vote for the "use what you like" approach.
    I've never had a mallet putter and am confident that I never will as I just don't like the look of them.

I've said before that I play much of my summer golf with vintage clubs, frequently switching between sets and so putters.

Some of the older putters looked scary when I first started using them, but like all clubs they're just a weight on the end of a stick and I now find I can putt reasonably well with any old piece of crap.

I admit that my putting isn't going to be as consistent as it would be if I played with just one putter which suited me and I really got on with, but here's the rub, I enjoy my golf far more when I'm switching between sets and playing some great old clubs so I don't give a monkey's that my putts-per-round might be a couple more than it could be.
    Comp Set- Driver-Titleist 909 D2, x3 wood-Mizuno MP001, x5 wood-Cobra S2xHybrid-Mizuno MX700 20 deg, xx9 wood-Dunlop
    Irons- Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 5-PW, xxMizuno Tour Style 52 & Vokey 56 deg,xxPutter - Odyssey White Steel No 1
    Old School Clubs - Too many to list.
    2017 H4H H'cap Challenge vs Richart & chrisd - Start 10.8, current 11.6

Head Pro

Odyssey O works #1 with black white alternating lines and red lines is the best I've seen for multiple options on sighting lines.

like this item (nothing to do with me BTW)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3820783374...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A (world) class putting coach told me you have to work out how you see it, everyone is a little different but there are three main categories
    those that line up
    (a) using the front face line of the putter, perpendicular to the target/start line
    (b) those that use the back of the blade, perpendicular to the target line
    (c) those that use the centre line in direction of start line

Good luck buddy!
    Vardon: "Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty."

Go to AG and spend half an hour playing with every putter in there. They have loads and you soon start to get a feel for what you like, what guide line works with your eye. Putters are soooooo personal.

I'm not sure any blade has markings in the way mallet putters do. That is part of the attraction of the bigger putters, great big markings and help for lining up.

I'd back up some of the other comments re the recommendation. If you are comfortable then go for it. If you are not then don't. One pro told my son to get a big mallet type putter. He had it two months and never trusted it. He has gone back to a little half moon style Nike method, a bit like Phil's Odyssey, and he instantly felt comfortable again. You need to balance the recommendation against what you trust. If you don't trust it you will be buying another putter again in a month or two, no matter how much it is supposed to suit you.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Cobra Baffler 5w, Nike Covert Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter