Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Proudest Golf Achievement

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    You put runner up in what is basically a society event ahead of a board competition? Or have I misread your post?
    Does it matter? Won a qualifier on a course I'd never played and runner up (on countback) on another course I'd never played against some decent players. Can't see your point other than looking to have another dig (which is soooo boring now)

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Does it matter? Won a qualifier on a course I'd never played and runner up (on countback) on another course I'd never played against some decent players. Can't see your point other than looking to have another dig (which is soooo boring now)
    to be fair, coming 2nd at GM H4H's 2016 event is probably my proudest moment. Had been playing golf for less than a year.

Guy who came first beat me by 1 point and had been my playing partner, he played great and had a good day out with him and the others so was happy to get the one, two.
    2016: Started Playing->23.0
    2017: 22.7->21.5->20.3->18.8->19.1->17.9->17.0->16.4->15.8->15.5

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    No it doesn't matter but I thought you used to be an assistant pro. Surely turning pro is a bigger achievement than runner up in a society event?

There's been a few but I think my favourite was in Tescos.
    I was doing a bit of shopping when a little 10 year old girl came up behind me all excited
    'Bob Bob Bob, I had a birdie today'
    She was a member of my junior clinic and it was her first birdie ever.
    Shes now over 6' and plays off 1

N.B. Other supermarkets are available
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    There's been a few but I think my favourite was in Tescos.
    I was doing a bit of shopping when a little 10 year old girl came up behind me all excited
    'Bob Bob Bob, I had a birdie today'
    She was a member of my junior clinic and it was her first birdie ever.
    Shes now over 6' and plays off 1

N.B. Other supermarkets are available
    Not sure you can take credit for her growth spurt?!
    Is this really a game we play for pleasure?

Titelist 915 D2 10.5* Silver Rogue (s)
    TM M1 15* Graffaloy Prolaunch Axis (s)
    Callaway Xhot2 19* Tour Design DI(s)
    Srixon 20* ZU45 Miyazaki Blue 7s
    Srixon z745 4 & 5i Nippon Modus (s)
    Srixon z945 6-pw Nippon Modus (s)
    Vokey SM4 52*
    Vokey SM4 58*
    Scotty Cameron Newport
    Titleist Pro-v 1
    Srixon stand bag/ Callaway Big Bertha Tour
    H'cap 3

http://www.motleygolf.co.uk

Club Champion

Proudest moment has to be finally joining Tandridge (had been a lifelong dream after my grandfather, dad and uncle were all members) to then win my first competition with 42 points in the Braid 5 club competition. Still waiting for the engraving to be put up in the bar!

I think Bobmac's is the best one on the thread, great story.

My own one was winning our captains day. I shot 5 better than handcap to tie with the clubhouse leader and we then went back out to the 18th for a playoff. When we were hitting into the green, I would guess we had around 300 people on the balcony and around 50 round the green watching us. Only a fraction of what the proper golfers face, but it made me aware of the pressure that a watching crowd has on you! The people round the green in particular was a shock, as visually it makes the green look a hell of a lot smaller than normal!!!

I managed to play the hole slightly better than my opponent and won the day. Had a load of mates watching and the weather was superb, so enjoyed the beers out on the balcony and by the time the day had finished that evening I felt on top of the golfing world. This lasted exactly 3 days when I rocked up at the mid-week stableford with confidence sky high and shot 21 points and came stone last.
    In the bag:
    Taylormade SLDR 9.5 deg
    3 Ping Crossover
    TaylorMade Rocketbalz 19 deg and 21deg rescue.
    Mizuno JPX825pro 4-Pw
    60deg lob wedge Callaway X
    Ping Kedsh Putter

Handicap - 9.6

By far my best one was winning the order of merit at my last club in 2010.

Mainly because I put in a lot of hard graft all year and played consistent golf. Had a lot of top 3's and was hardly ever out the top 10.
    Westy----------------------------Official Handicap - May-09 23, Apr-10 20.2, May-11 13.5, April-12 12.7, Sep-12 11.0 (Oh yes), July-13 11.6, Apr-14 12.5, Oct-15 11-5, Feb-16 11.4, Apr-17 - 11.7http://www.knebworthgolfclub.coml

Q-School Graduate

Not really a proud person in that sense but I was most excited with:-

Winning the Foursomes Junior/Adult competition with Adam last year.

Dragging myself to RSG soon after dad passed away and getting a third there, mainly down to the great company on the day which made it a brilliant day.

Winning longest drive on one of my golf days(for clients), first time ever.

I think the first wins it, as it was great to play with the son in a pairs comp and actually win something and appear on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    No it doesn't matter but I thought you used to be an assistant pro. Surely turning pro is a bigger achievement than runner up in a society event?
    I would have thought for Homer it would have been getting to cat 1 - getting to 4 is a big deal

I was very proud when I got to cat 1 but the proudest was when I won a memorial comp at Woburn which was in honour of my wife's grandfather who passed away