Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Re: Hahahahahahaha - Aimpoint

I am afraid that I tend towards the theory espoused earlier in this thread that, if someone spending time practicing their aimpoint technique spent the same length of time carefully focussed on developing a consistent putting routine - the result would be the same. I might add myself that developing a consistent routine would probably be time better spent as it would be more resilient to loss of confidence in my putting. If my trust and faith in Aimpoint falters - I have less to fall back on?
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

I watched a couple of putter review videos from an aimpoint user and he didn't use aimpoint for any of the putts!

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    And how do you practice your sensing of slope and hence the technique when your practice putting green is flat?
    Its ridiculous to think all putting greens are flat.
    In Bag: Taylormade M1 Fujikura Speeder 757 XFlex ------ORKA PS40 3wood - 80S Proto-By-You ----------ORKA RS1 & RS 3 Combo---------------ORKA RS18 52,56,60 Wedges ---------ORKA Limited Edition - Green Bay Packers Putter----------------Handicap 2.8

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    I am afraid that I tend towards the theory espoused earlier in this thread that, if someone spending time practicing their aimpoint technique spent the same length of time carefully focussed on developing a consistent putting routine - the result would be the same. I might add myself that developing a consistent routine would probably be time better spent as it would be more resilient to loss of confidence in my putting. If my trust and faith in Aimpoint falters - I have less to fall back on?
    Aimpoint is not a method of putting, it's a method of green reading.

So IMO, there's no point in having a consistent putting routine if you can't work out what line to start your putt on, you need all the pieces to hole putts.

There are many ways to read greens and work out the line you want to start a putt on and Aimpoint is simply another method of doing that, nothing more and nothing less. I had an opportunity to try it out and I've found it to be very accurate for short to medium length putts but YMMV as they say.

Given some of the comments which ignore the fact that Aimpoint is a method of working out the break on a putt and has nothing whatsoever to do with how you swing the putter, how can anyone get better at putting if they never get the break right but their distance control is good?
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 11.6

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Given some of the comments which ignore the fact that Aimpoint is a method of working out the break on a putt and has nothing whatsoever to do with how you swing the putter, how can anyone get better at putting if they never get the break right but their distance control is good?
    To know exactly what a ball will do slope wise you'd need to know every inch of the putt, from what Ive seen the the aimpointer stands part way down the line, this is fine when the break is linear, there arent many of them about so it really is "thereaboutish" I can judge that simply by standing behind the ball and looking at the line. If I want a better idea Id check from both sides as I approach the green and before its my turn to putt anyway so to me you are introducing extra bits to your game that just make it more confusing, as for having to hone it through practice? Id rather spend any spare minutes before a round putting and trying to find a smooth stroke.
    http://www.bangorgolfclubni.co.uk
    TM M2 Driver R11s 5W Cally 1 iron TM MC TP 3-pw Irons wedges and a putting thing.

Quote Originally Posted by brendy View Post
    To know exactly what a ball will do slope wise you'd need to know every inch of the putt, from what Ive seen the the aimpointer stands part way down the line, this is fine when the break is linear, there arent many of them about so it really is "thereaboutish" I can judge that simply by standing behind the ball and looking at the line. If I want a better idea Id check from both sides as I approach the green and before its my turn to putt anyway so to me you are introducing extra bits to your game that just make it more confusing, as for having to hone it through practice? Id rather spend any spare minutes before a round putting and trying to find a smooth stroke.
    No, nothing extra for me just different. My putting routine is still quick and certainly faster than someone who stalks from one end of his putt to the other looking from all directions

Handicap 11.6

Quote Originally Posted by brendy View Post
    Oh god yes, I spend more time on the putting green wondering if it's a 3.25% slope or 3.75%, if I'm unsure I get my slope gauge out to find its a 2 instead. That screws my head up, so let's work on getting pace right....... where's my stimp meter? .......... oh it's my tee time, best go..........🙄

Quote Originally Posted by 3565 View Post
    Oh god yes, I spend more time on the putting green wondering if it's a 3.25% slope or 3.75%, if I'm unsure I get my slope gauge out to find its a 2 instead. That screws my head up, so let's work on getting pace right....... where's my stimp meter? .......... oh it's my tee time, best go..........🙄
    Don't give up the day job, you don't seem cut out for stand up

Handicap 11.6

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    I watched a couple of putter review videos from an aimpoint user and he didn't use aimpoint for any of the putts!

Tbf I would assume he was using a straight putt on a very familiar green to do the reviews. Sort of like I know where a straight 12' putt is on the putting greens of any club I have been a member of from when I was practicing my stroke mechanics.
    9.5* Ping i20 Stock Stiff
    15* Taylormade R15 Fujikura FUEL 60 S
    18* Adams Pro DHY Aldila Tour Blue 85 S
    4-PW John Letters Master Model S300
    52*,56*,60* John Letters Tour Black DG Spinner
    34" Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
    2016 Handicap par 73 SSS71 - 10.0 -> 10.1 (NR,95 adj) -> 10.2 (net 79)
    http://www.driftgolfclub.com/golf/