Assistant Pro

Problem refitting used grips.

I've re-gripped quite a lot of my clubs over the years, never had any issue fitting a brand new grip. However twice I've tried re-fitting used grips and had problems. I removed a grip from a set of irons and reused it and at the weekend I bought a 2 ball putter for my daughter which I cut down 3 inches. Both times when I went to refit the grip all went well but the grip does not seem to dry, even after a few day you can still turn the grip with your hand.

I remove the old grip with a welding rod and solvent, so similar to the V groove tool or coat hanger method. Remove all the old tape and clean the shaft and clean the inside of the grip as well as possible and refit as normal with fresh tape and solvent. Any suggestions what could be causing this problem?

Re: Problem refitting used grips.

Possibly still some solvent residue in the grip that's causing the grip tape not to dry properly.

Assistant Pro

Thanks, is there any recommended method or chemical required for cleaning out the inside of the grip before refitting it?

I found using a physical seperator (even a purpose designed tool) seemd to cause some stretching of the grip. Now I use an air line, and put a piece of 32mm plastic pipe over the grip so it cant burst the grip through individual expansion points. It's a lot quicker and cleaner.
    Forever trying.

Tour Winner

Used grip could be slightly stretched
    Plus, if you've cut 3 inches off the putter, it's now possible the shaft is too thin and may need to build up with more tape
    ???

Assistant Pro

Yes, but the iron I did was not shortened and I had exactly the same problem, I thought it may be caused by stretching but would of thought it would of shrunk back to shape after a few days. The grip I took off the iron was with a compressor that's why I used the rod on the putter this time as I thought the air might have stretched it as the works compressor I used was pretty powerful.

Assistant Pro

Had a bit of spare time today so I cleaned out the inside of the grip with brake cleaner (not sure if this was a good thing to use!), wrapped the shaft with 4 layers of masking tape then grip tape and put the grip on. It has dried no problem at all this time.