Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Would you buy a diesel car now?

As per the title. would you?
    I'm a lover of diesels and their driving characteristics, and still slowly going though my process of choosing my next car for the next 10 years or so.
    I don't belive the total enviroment damage is worse in a diesel compared to any other fuel type, but obviously the current poll tax like target is diesel cars. So would you buy one?
    Forever trying.

Re: Would you buy a diesel car now?

I haven't bought one but I've just ordered one on a 3 year lease. The current issue is with old diesels not new ones.

Who knows how any car will be viewed in the future. Petrol could be evil again in 3 years time.

If I was buying a car to keep for ten years then my choice would depend on my likely annual mileage. I wouldn't be bothered about the residual value but I'd have to factor in the increased road tax, which could possibly get even higher if DERV continues to be demonised by all and sundry.

On balance, I probably wouldn't buy a new diesel car.

In a heartbeat.
    I have two cars, both diesels. I'm just about to sell one of them and will be replacing it with another diesel.
    I love 'em.
    Cobra Bio Cell 9.5 Project X PXv graphite shaft - Stiff flex.
    TM R11 Hybrid 18, Aldila RIP Reg Shaft.
    Callaway Big Bertha 4 wood. (Go to club).
    TM R11's 4 - SW Regular steel.
    TM R11 50 Attack Wedge.
    Titleist
    Vokey Spin Milled 60 Lob Wedge.
    Scotty Cameron
    Studio Select Fastback No. 1.5.
    Loads & loads of golf balls.
    15,799 Swing thoughts. Rules book. 7 year old lucky tee peg (Broken).
    Hope............lots of hope.

in short .no.
    mpg on petrol cars is pretty much on a par with the diesel counterpart these days ,add that to the higher tax per year petrol would work out cheaper in the long run ,and any way common rail is rubbish and very expensive if they go wrong.
    common sense is so rare it should be classed as a super power.

Tour Winner

No, not now.

I love the one I have but wouldn't get another one these days.

I'm sorry but I've yet to genuinely see real world evidence that petrol cars now match diesel for mpg. Forget claimed figures, all hooey for both styles. I reckon the difference is still around 20% or so.

Small cars may be better but the larger the car the bigger the gap. Hybrids should help reduce this in the near future. I'll be disappointed if my next car is not a hybrid at least. I'm hoping for some good advances in that area in the next few years.

Had one diesel car in 40 year of driving, would not have another. I will stick with my focus 1 litre ecoboost, nice and economical, 20 road tax, cheap to insure and its a great drive as well.
    WITB 2017
    Driver: Mizuno JPX850 Speeder XLR8
    Fairways: Wilson FG Tour 3 wood Aldila Phenom Reg...............Taylormade R9 5 wood Fujikua Blur Reg
    Utilities: Cleveland 3H, 4H Matrix Ozik Reg
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro TT XP R300
    Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 4 52* & 58*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Prototype Santa Fe, Tel3 Mk1 Santa Fe, Napa LE, Newport 2.5
    Balls: Srixon Zstar
    All powered by a GoKart

Yes, modern engine is so much better. Current car has 0 road fund license although I'm sure that will change over time.

No, had diesels for my last 3 cars and while they were fine, they were a bit boring. Now got a petrol 3.0 twin turbo and it's way much more fun and power is incomparable with diesel coupled with no lag makes it far superior for me.
    Ok I only get 30mpg on a good day but that's not why I bought it.
    The new VED rules are less about the emissions and more targeting premium brand drivers. 310 "supplement" if your car is worth more than 40k regardless of its emissions. So a 38k petrol turbo had cheaper VED than a Tesla Mosel S with minimal to no emissions. Farce.
    A bag full of Mizunos, a Bettinardi and hope. Lots and lots of hope..

www.pitreaviegolfclub.co.uk/