Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant Pro

Beginner irons for 13 year old

My 13 year old son (14 in August) is finally looking for his first set of proper irons. I don't want to get junior irons as he will outgrow them quickly, but am wondering what would be the best option starting out. I have considered Benross Maxspeed 2 or 10 irons as they are very forgiving or the Progen Haema irons. Both retail around £120 which is the sort of budget I am looking at initially. Any other sets I may have overlooked?

Re: Beginner irons for 13 year old

Benross make some fantastic equipment at a fraction of the cost of the more well known brands. You won't go far wrong with their irons.
    2015 H/cap 15.8 > 11.3 2016 H/cap 11.3 > 11.5 2017 H/cap 11.5 > ?

Callaway FTiZ
    Benross HTX 3 wood + 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP1 714 4-PW
    Tour Edge50*
    Benross ZipIt 56* + 60*
    Odyssey Works Versa V-Line

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

www.balbirniegolf.com

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer_Soze View Post
    Benross make some fantastic equipment at a fraction of the cost of the more well known brands. You won't go far wrong with their irons.
    Cheers, I must admit, I was veering that way! I used to play Ripspeed 2 and they were lovely feel irons. Maxspeed ultra forgiving and they will last him until he is ready to make the next step

Head Pro

I have just bought my 13 year old son a used set of cobra bio cell irons only a year old

He loves them and they were under £150

Quote Originally Posted by dankiz View Post
    My 13 year old son (14 in August) is finally looking for his first set of proper irons. I don't want to get junior irons as he will outgrow them quickly, but am wondering what would be the best option starting out. I have considered Benross Maxspeed 2 or 10 irons as they are very forgiving or the Progen Haema irons. Both retail around £120 which is the sort of budget I am looking at initially. Any other sets I may have overlooked?
    Shouldn't you discuss with your son ??
    Driver - Titleist 915
    Hybrid - Titleist H2
    3 wood - Titleist 915
    Irons currently - Titleist 718 AP1's (courtesy of GM and Titleist)
    Scotty squareback

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by gmhubble View Post
    I have just bought my 13 year old son a used set of cobra bio cell irons only a year old

He loves them and they were under £150
    Sounds like a deal. How forgiving are the biocells?

Head Pro

Well having moved from the us kids set he is doing great - I have hit them and they are great GI/SGI clubs

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by gmhubble View Post
    Well having moved from the us kids set he is doing great - I have hit them and they are great GI/SGI clubs
    Great stuff, thanks for replying

Medal Winner

I've got the Maxspeed 2 irons (with a couple of hot speed wedges, so I'm 5-LW "speed 2") and I bloody love them. Can't recommend them highly enough.

There's a Pro shop on ebay knocking out the old Speed2/10 ranges for next to nothing. Rip 10 5-PW for £129 or something silly recently. I bought the Rip Speed 10 driver I'm now using from him. Probably worth sending him a message and see if he'd do a deal on irons, driver and fairway/hybrid, then nip into your local pro shop and get some cut down shafts while keeping the ones in at the moment for when he grows a bit?
    Benross RIP Speed 10 Driver, Max Speed 2 fairway - 18º, Hot Speed 2 Hybrids - 22º & 25º, Max Speed 2 irons. Taylormade Raylor Ghost putter.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldArmChewer View Post
    Shouldn't you discuss with your son ??
    lol,he is involved in all discussions!