Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Head Pro

Mizuno Hot Metal v Apex CF16 irons

Morning all

I went to a Mizuno tour day with a friend for a giggle and ended up having a fitting session as someone didn't turn up.

Already blessed with a new set of CF16 I was just having a laugh .... until I hit the Hot Metal JPX 900 irons

Oh My Lord ... how soft feeling are they and they are not even forged unlike the CF16

Am seriously thinking about switching

Anyone here have any opinion on them both or anyone here play the JPX900?

Cheers

Ian
    Driver Ping G LS Tec 9 Degree 65g S Shaft3 Wood Callaway GBB Epic Hzrdus T800 65g S Shaft5 Wood Callaway GBB Epic Hzrdus T800 65g S ShaftHybrid Callaway 4H 22 Degree XR Project X 5.5 R ShaftIrons 4-PW Callaway Steelhead Pro KBS C Taper Lite S ShaftWedges Callaway MD3 50, 54, 58 Deg KBS Tour V S ShaftPutter Tad Moore Handmade TMS Tour 34" Blade

Re: Mizuno Hot Metal v Apex CF16 irons

I caught a 4 iron off the tee pure, a mizuno mp-57

I could literally feel the ball as a round bit of putty, the feeling stay with me for a good 5 mins

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceBoy View Post
    I caught a 4 iron off the tee pure, a mizuno mp-57

I could literally feel the ball as a round bit of putty, the feeling stay with me for a good 5 mins
    another insightful post, helped the OP no end in his choice between the two clubs mentioned
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Club Champion

i went from mizuno ez 16 forged to cf16 forged and the cf16 feel softer. I think the boron in the ez forged takes a bit of the soft feel away.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by gmhubble View Post
    Morning all

I went to a Mizuno tour day with a friend for a giggle and ended up having a fitting session as someone didn't turn up.

Already blessed with a new set of CF16 I was just having a laugh .... until I hit the Hot Metal JPX 900 irons

Oh My Lord ... how soft feeling are they and they are not even forged unlike the CF16

Cheers

Ian
    Jimaroid on the forum has just switched to a set of JPX 900 Hot Metals and from what I can tell I think he's in love...

Yeah, so I've been falling out with my JPX825 Pros (forged irons) for about 6-8 months and a couple of weeks ago I gave in and went for a fitting. My biggest problem with the 825s was that my swing has developed since I bought them and they no longer felt right for me. I hit them nicely with a 75% swing but if I upped to what felt like a full swing it'd be a disaster every time, I just lost all feel for the club head without being able to release through the ball. It resulted in the trajectory of the ball being far too low most of the time.

I decided to try something new and had a look at the Ping i200, JPX900 Forged and JPX900 Hot Metal across two fitting sessions at different places.

In the first fitting, it was very difficult to call between the i200 and Hot Metal. They both gave me extra height and distance. The i200 were slightly better according to the numbers but the Hot Metal had a much nicer feel in the strike, they felt really powerful compared to the i200 even though the results in distance and height were within a few yards. Both clubs gave me the higher trajectory I was looking for. Biggest surprise from the first fitting was how much I liked the i200s. To me eye, they're really nice to look at when addressing the ball, being a little less chunky than the Hot Metal.

I went for a second fitting because it's a Trackman setup I've used before and I trust how it compares to my old clubs. Feeling the Hot Metal for a second time I'd made my mind up, they just feel amazing to hit so the fitting session was mostly about narrowing down on the right shaft. I don't like the look of Hot Metals as much as the others as they look a bit chunky. Weirdly, when put side by side with my 825 Pros, they're only a little bigger in the sole so it's more of an optical illusion than actual size. After testing so many shaft options that I lost count, I ended up putting down an order for the Hot Metals with the Recoil Stiff graphite shafts. I don't want to get into "forum yardages" territory but I'm hitting them longer and higher which has made me a lot happier.

The Hot Metals are definitely worth a fitting session at the very least. I've come from two different sets of forged Mizunos and the Hot Metals feel every bit as good but with the extra forgiveness I've been needing recently. I'm going to love playing these irons.
    Some clubs. (2017 handicap: 11.2, 11.4, 10.2)

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    another insightful post, helped the OP no end in his choice between the two clubs mentioned
    did you expect anything else?
    H/C 13... ish
    www.farleighfox.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by gmhubble View Post
    Morning all

Cheers

Ian
    I have the apex CF16 and was under the impression that it was only 8i down or 7i down that were forged, rather like the 2014 Taylor made forged range
    H/C 13... ish
    www.farleighfox.co.uk

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Oddsocks View Post
    I have the apex CF16 and was under the impression that it was only 8i down or 7i down that were forged, rather like the 2014 Taylor made forged range
    no they are all forged, however the cup face is only from 7i down. The 8i upwards are just forged cavity back irons as you do not need the cup face in those irons

I stand corrected.

They are lovely though!
    H/C 13... ish
    www.farleighfox.co.uk