Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Im Either great or crap!! Why?

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and just wanted to get something off my chest that has been bugging me for quite a while now. My current exact chap is 6.6 and I've been playing for over 30 years. I decided last winter that this year was going to be the year that get down to category 1. So far its been a busy. I have quite a knowledge of the golf swing and am reasonably consistent around the course but what I'm finding very frustratingly is I'm either very good or very bad on any given hole. I can't seem to keep a consistent round together without tragic holes happening. One minute I'm on the Green in regulation and putting for Birdie and the next I'm looking for a ball in the trees or out of bounds. I'm very disciplined when it comes to practice and have pretty good regimes of short game long game and putting and most of the time I come off the practice ground very happy and looking forward to the next game. That game usually comes and goes with me coming off the course disappointed and wondering what the hell has happened. I'm actually frightened to play in any club competitions as in my mind I might as well just get pt1 lift before I step on the first tee. This is now getting to the point where I'm losing any Faith and potentially an interest in the game in general. I've had lessons and generally what happens is like when you take your car to the mechanic with a rattle and when you get there the rattle disappears. Same with me. So I've come to the conclusion that I have the game without a doubt but can't seem to keep it together on the course. I'm generally quite stable in the mind and don't get frustrated, I just move on to the next shot after a bad shot and don't dwell on it. I'm really not quite sure what to do and wonder if anybody else has been or is in the same situation and has found a way out of it?

Re: Im Either great or crap!! Why?

Do you have a specific 'bad shot' and if so, can you fix it mid round?
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

10cclo rings a bell, you ain't in a band by any chance?
    2016 handicap 15.16.15.14.15.14.132017 handicap 13.12

Angry Re: Im Either great or crap!! Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    10cclo rings a bell, you ain't in a band by any chance?
    Sure am Beezerk, better drummer than I am a golfer lately

You've been playing 30 years, you're obviously at the limit of where your swing and ability will take you.
    Clearly your swing needs improving to be more effective and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by 10cclo View Post
    Sure am Beezerk, better drummer than I am a golfer lately
    Ha ha, they played at our place a few months ago (CLS), sure I overheard the secretary say one of the band was a member here.
    Just checked out the 10cclo website, they look very much like the majority of a band called Prognosis, now they were a $hit hot band but they never seem to gig now
    2016 handicap 15.16.15.14.15.14.132017 handicap 13.12

Something needs to change. The problem is what? Recent lessons I've had haven't thrown up any problems with the swing in general. The only issue was a slight over the top plane. This doesn't seem to be affecting the ball strike but it's still something I'm trying to rectify by using the zepp golf analyser. Also thinking about it a bit more the last few bad rounds I've had have been in reasonable windy conditions that definitely seems to be an issue as well.

The band was formed from the majority of prognosis members. Who is this btw? Do we know each other?

that's golf for you.

the weight of expectation is a problem for many golfers, myself included. one day i can shoot level par or better the next you would think i was a 25 handicap not 5.

I think the key is to try and forget the bad holes and try and stay positive, which is difficult once you have already blown your handicap on the first 3 holes

no one is perfect, that's why we have handicaps, once you get your handicap down to single figures and cat1 there is far less margin for error.

When it comes to bad shots as Bob mentioned its the bad shots if you have a particular type, getting rid of that might be a start.

good luck
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Quote Originally Posted by 10cclo View Post
    Something needs to change. The problem is what? Recent lessons I've had haven't thrown up any problems with the swing in general. The only issue was a slight over the top plane. This doesn't seem to be affecting the ball strike but it's still something I'm trying to rectify by using the zepp golf analyser. Also thinking about it a bit more the last few bad rounds I've had have been in reasonable windy conditions that definitely seems to be an issue as well.
    So Tee shots are ok?
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself