Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Painful Shin from running!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon321 View Post
    Have you been fit properly for trainers. I used to run quite a lot a few years ago. Started getting painful shins. Went to a place nearby where they have you on the treadmill and look at how your feet land and fit the correct trainers to suit.
    About 8 weeks ago I got myself fitted for a new pair of trainers and properly fitted insoles at a cost of over nearly 100 pounds due to the fact that I'm suffering from a recurring calf problem.

You stand on the insole machine and have a picture printed of how your foot is sitting and then an insole is heated to your fitting helping reline your foot.

Has it made a difference? not in the slightest and imo not worth the money.
    TM dual rescue 5 R/f
    TM BURNER 3 wood r/f
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-pw
    Mizuno MP T5 54/12 Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 58/4
    Cleveland 588 RTX 50 degree
    TM 880 putter
    Titleist provx
    FJ Tour Spikeless
    Handicap Start 2013 8.4<7.3[first hole in one]
    2016 7.1>6.9

Southwest King of Kings regional winner 2014
    Southwest King of Kings regional winner 2015

I injured my foot "running through the pain" a couple of years ago. Spent months in pain as a result. Had fitted running shoes and was pretty fit, saw multiple sports therapists and physios, even to the point of orthotics and consultant surgeon.

They all told me to stop running.

Here I am. No more pain but I do miss running a lot.

Listen to your body and rest up.

Tour Rookie

Skeletal and/or tendon stress injuries take time because there is no direct blood flow to the tissue. Rest with hot and cold treatment may marginally help.

You either stop the stress causing cycles (running) or cause increased damage, the choice is yours. You'll pay a bigger price in the future if you're pigheaded.

Journeyman Pro CheltenhamHacker's Avatar

Rest, rest, and then just when you think you're fine, rest another week. Everyone I know who has got these (myself included) rushed back too soon. You think your body is fine, but it isn't quite there.

As said a bit above, cycling is much more helpful than you think. I've heard a lot that cycling can really help your running, while the opposite isn't as true.
    Current bag:
    Ping G25's: 3W, 23* Hybrid, 4i-PW
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 52*, 56*
    Putter: Ping Anser

Handicap: 20.0>20.1>20.2>20.3>20.4>20.5>20.6 Going the wrong way.
    Handicap Aim: 18 by 01/01/2014 (this is looking much harder....)
    Member of Naunton Downs, Gloucestershire

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pokerjoke View Post
    About 8 weeks ago I got myself fitted for a new pair of trainers and properly fitted insoles at a cost of over nearly 100 pounds due to the fact that I'm suffering from a recurring calf problem.

You stand on the insole machine and have a picture printed of how your foot is sitting and then an insole is heated to your fitting helping reline your foot.

Was that at Sweatshop? They tried to sell me a pair but they felt awful.

Head Pro

I had a similar issue just over a year ago that was caused (in part) by a bunion. I was compensating for it when running which caused the shin problems. I ended up seeing a podiatrist who did a biomechanical assessment and built me two sets of orthotics. One pair for my daily shoes and the other for my running shoes. He then referred me to a physio where I had two acupuncture sessions and go on a heat lamp. I've been fine since and usually run between 25-45 miles a week depending on what I'm training for.

thanks again folks, gmc I might ask my physio about acupuncture, I know she does it so im good to try anything if it may help! We used a podiatrist for my daughter and got her othotics, so maybe should give ehr a call too.
    for the minute, I did 20k last night on the bike which was fine, but much prefer running, still a few weeks on the bike will have to do..
    Taylormade M2 aldila rogue silver s 70g
    Titleist 915f 3 wood rogue black s 80g
    Ping I20 20 deg PX 6.0
    Taylormade psi tour 4-PW
    Cleveland rtx3 50,54&58
    Odyssey 2 ball

Tony, see your Doctor and ask for an appointment with a podiatrist, I see mine every 12 months and get him to check my feet and he does the orthotic insoles if required. If needed you're entitled to one pair a year. I've worn them for over 10 years for running, playing Golf etc and never had some of the issues mentioned on the thread.

Just to give balance, i was wearing off the shelf trainers, after a month had terrible achilles problems. got fitted and the problems are no more!
    Owner of golf clubs, dusty golf clubs...

Talks a lot of sense on twitter @scottroots