Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Head Pro

Matchplay - shots given error dilemma... pls help!

Played a pairs match on Sunday (thankfully we closed it out on 20th hole!!)

My handicap had increased the previous day. We should have been giving 6 shots.

Unfortunately I missed the conversation on calculating strokes given, so my handicap was incorrectly assumed.
    I did not realise we'd "agreed" 7 shots in error. And this didn't come to my attention until we'd already played the 3rd (SI-7)
    So what happened there/then was done/dusted. No complaint there.

So the questions/dilemma I have is...

When playing the 20th hole (2nd) in sudden death I brought this to everyone's attention, as we should not be giving them a shot on the 21st hole (3rd). My reasoning was that it was a mistake and the fact is a shot should not be given.

(It was their mistake as much as mine in that they did not ask me what my handicap was, or include me in the discussion.
    I don't think that the timing of this matters much, whether I'd said it on 21st tee or 2-hours earlier, it was still prior to playing that hole.)

However, my partner said that we'd "agreed to 7-shots before setting off and we and we could not change it now".
    So had we not won the 20th, we could potentially have lost it on 21st giving a shot we should NOT have been giving.

I had mixed feelings/thoughts:
    Firstly that my partner is a real gentleman and we'd made the mistake so I'd have to live with it.

But also strongly felt that it's only fair to ensure the same mistake is not made twice and it would be unfair to knowingly concede a shot in error.
    Almost seems like breaking a rule twice because you broke it in error the first time?
    Does anyone know what the actual correct ruling/decision on this?
    Vardon: "Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty."

Re: Matchplay - shots given error dilemma... pls help!

So, you played off a higher handicap than you should have which affected the number of strokes given ..... See Rule 6-2

DQ for playing off an incorrect high handicap.

No he played off a lower handicap.
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy
    Balls - Nike PD Soft, when using new in comps. Will be Callaway Supersoft next season

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    So, you played off a higher handicap than you should have which affected the number of strokes given ..... See Rule 6-2

DQ for playing off an incorrect high handicap.
    I read it as he had played off a lower handicap.
    WS DXi Superlight Driver
    WS Fybrid RS 17°
    WS Fybrid RS 23°
    WS Fybrid RS 26°
    Orka GS5 CTi irons 5-SW
    Titliest Vokey 52/8, 56/8
    Odyssey Works 2ball Fang

Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6
    2017 11.6>10.7

My golf blog http://louisesgolfblog.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php

My mistake .... sorry

Still confused about 6 shots and 7 shots ..... or am I misreading something ?
    Last edited by DCB; 03-May-2017 at 08:57.

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    My mistake .... sorry

Still confused about 6 shots and 7 shots ..... or am I misreading something ?

we gave 7, but should have given 6
    ie. played off LOWER

Head Pro

But 6-2a does offer an interesting insight - "otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap".

In this case my partner had unknowingly but incorrectly declared my handicap - hadn't he?
    So perhaps from that moment on the fact is, by representing me in in a "pair" we have declared it.
    So maybe he was actually completely right, we couldn't change it?

The fact that I was not present and the other three had mistakenly assumed my handicap is from that point irrelevant.
    I guess under Rule 2-5 "I/we" could have made a claim. Our opposition is the VC.!

Also, seems I should have declared the mistake at the first possible moment though, either on green or before next tee when I knew the error had been made.

Oops, apologies - perhaps I should've posted this under "Rules" not "Lounge"
    Last edited by GreggerKBR; 03-May-2017 at 09:32.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggerKBR View Post
    But 6-2a does offer an interesting insight - "otherwise, the player must play off the declared handicap".

In this case my partner had unknowingly but incorrectly declared my handicap - hadn't he?
    So perhaps from that moment on the fact is, by representing me in in a "pair" we have declared it.
    So maybe he was actually completely right, we couldn't change it?

The fact that I was not present and the other three had mistakenly assumed my handicap is from that point irrelevant.
    I guess under Rule 2-5 "I/we" could have made a claim. Our opposition is the VC.!

Also, seems I should have declared the mistake at the first possible moment though, either on green or before next tee when I knew the error had been made.

Oops, apologies - perhaps I should've posted this under "Rules" not "Lounge"
    Back in the day when I played club knockouts, all this was done via a chart in the foyer before heading to the first tee. Players confirmed their handicaps, worked it out on the chart depending on format, and job was a goodun.
    Strictly speaking your partner should have confirmed you were off 6 after he'd done the discussion with the other team, strictly speaking you should have confirmed it all before you teed off if you missed the discussion too.
    Lesson learnt, luckily it didn't cost you!

Matchplay - I'm not sure about when it is noticed mid-round, and certain decisions could be postponed until after the round, possibly, after consulting the committee.

However, if you only noticed afterwards, and shook un the result - it stands.

I was the unfortunate who was on the wrong side of this a few years ago. A player in a pair we played against should have played off a lower handicap, but the one rule overrules the playing off the wrong handicap rule, which I think is wrong.

Head Pro

My partner told me were giving 7-shots as we walked down the first, after our tee-shots.
    So by that point, even if it had registered with me, it seems we would've been obligated to give 7 shots.
    It took me a few holes to work out that we should've been giving only 6 shots.
    My mistake, thankfully it was this way around rather than the other which would've been DQ.
    Scary - lessons to learn!