Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,466

    What makes it a non qualifier?

    If everyone has to hole out, course measured standard rules of golf, what would make a shotgun start a non qualifier? Does the shotgun start cause the issue?

    There was a nearest the pin on one hole, would that cause an issue?

    Asking because a guy I know had the round of his life. Shot 50 points playing off 17 and been told he can't submit the card.

  2. #2
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,650

    Re: What makes it a non qualifier?

    Decision.1(g) Competitions in which competitors are authorised by the Committee to commence play elsewhere
    than from the first tee will be Qualifying Competitions for handicap purposes provided all other
    requirements of the UHS are satisfied. This includes ‘Shotgun Starts’.

  3. #3
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,466

    Re: What makes it a non qualifier?

    Thanks, do you have a link that provides the requirements of the UHS?

  4. #4
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sarf Lunnon
    Posts
    3,067

    Re: What makes it a non qualifier?

    Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Decision.1(g) Competitions in which competitors are authorised by the Committee to commence play elsewhere
    than from the first tee will be Qualifying Competitions for handicap purposes provided all other
    requirements of the UHS are satisfied. This includes ‘Shotgun Starts’.
    Presumably that means the club in OP case should be calculating CSS and adjusting everyone in the comp accordingly? (Although it sounds like they never had the intention of doing so?) They presumably can't/ won't deal with the one good card in isolation?
    Handicap Challenge - 18.5 (5 sept)
    The uglier a man’s legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

  5. #5
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,650

    Re: What makes it a non qualifier?

    They can't adjust from one card in isolation.

  6. #6
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,650

    Re: What makes it a non qualifier?

    Quote Originally Posted by woody69 View Post
    Thanks, do you have a link that provides the requirements of the UHS?
    http://www.congu.co.uk/

  7. #7
    Ryder Cup Winner
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    11,291

    Re: What makes it a non qualifier?

    Quote Originally Posted by woody69 View Post
    If everyone has to hole out, course measured standard rules of golf, what would make a shotgun start a non qualifier? Does the shotgun start cause the issue?

    There was a nearest the pin on one hole, would that cause an issue?

    Asking because a guy I know had the round of his life. Shot 50 points playing off 17 and been told he can't submit the card.
    I wondering if the guy would have expected a 0.1 back had he shot 25 points

  8. #8
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,466

    Re: What makes it a non qualifier?

    Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    I wondering if the guy would have expected a 0.1 back had he shot 25 points
    I dunno. Turns out I was wrong though as it's not so much as he 'can't' submit the card, but is happy with the fact he doesn't have to and will go into their Saturday medal with no cut and a good chance to win it, whilst getting cut after.

    Seems he thinks he's not 'protecting his handicap' as the comp he won, was effectively only a fiver back after you took off the entry fee. He doesn't get why people might be a little annoyed with him...

    Say's he wants to get cut, but only whilst winning something. No idea he's a bandit.

    Do people ever get cut on general play? He can't submit it as a supplementary as he didn't say before the comp it would be.

  9. #9
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,650

    Re: What makes it a non qualifier?

    Quote Originally Posted by woody69 View Post
    Do people ever get cut on general play? .
    Not for a one off situation like this. The handicap/comps committee should be taken to task for not making it a qualifier.

  10. #10
    Assistant Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    249

    Re: What makes it a non qualifier?

    Quote Originally Posted by woody69 View Post

    Do people ever get cut on general play? He can't submit it as a supplementary as he didn't say before the comp it would be.
    If the committee declared the comp to be a non-qualifier, he does not have the option to declare the round as a supplementary.
    Ping Rapture 13*Ping G 16.5* 3-woodPing G 19* & 22* hybridsCallaway Apex CF16 5i-AWTitleist Vokey wedgesScotty Futura XCallaway Chrome Soft

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Amazon Golf Deals – The Best Current Offers

Amazon is an incredible place to buy anything of course, but the golf section on the website is a great place to find some goodies for your game

September 21, 2017

Stop Getting On Rory McIlroy’s Back, We’re Lucky To Have Him

Having seen some recent social media comments, I feel it is time to remember just how good Rory McIlroy is after a season plagued by injury

September 20, 2017

Justin Rose Pledges Support To Save Southwood Golf Course In Hampshire

Southwood Golf Course in Farnborough, Hampshire is under threat from the local council and Olympic gold medallist Justin Rose pledged support to save the course he played as a junior

September 20, 2017

American Golf Deals: The Best Current Offers

We check out the best deal that retailer American Golf currently have on their site

September 20, 2017

Tour Championship Golf Betting Tips

The finale of the 2017 PGA Tour season happens at East Lake Golf Club check out who we think will do well with these Tour Championship Golf Betting Tips

September 19, 2017