Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

Re: Happy St Totteringham Day - NOT

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    Yes but it's increasingly difficult to compete for the best players (and keeping what you already have). It seems like every player we are interested in so are the Chelsea's, Uniteds and Cities ,. quite confident that Greizmann, Lacazette, Mbappe , etc will move this year but it won't be to us.
    I agree it's a tough transfer market now, but you would have expected better from the £80-£90m you spent. Perez hasn't even played, Xhaka seems like walking red card and Mustafi started well but looks like a liability now.

arsene used to be able to pick a player. He seems to have lost that ability since the invincibles. It's sad really as he has done such a good job over the years. I do think fans of every other club who are up there challenging hope he stays.
    Last edited by BristolMike; 01-May-2017 at 16:15.

Tour Winner

Yes but it's increasingly difficult to compete for the best players (and keeping what you already have). It seems like every player we are interested in so are the Chelsea's, Uniteds and Cities ,. quite confident that Greizmann, Lacazette, Mbappe , etc will move this year but it won't be to us.
    Arsenal have got over £200 million in cash in the bank. They could quite easily afford any of those players you mentioned or any of several other top players. The problem isn't that Arsenal don't have money, it's that they have a manager who is reluctant to buy the star players.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Spurs potentially do have the ability to go on - but beyond the 1-11 the depth isn't at the level to fight on all corners throughout the season but lose the odd player for example one of the CB's and it's a struggle.

It wasn't that long ago players like Bale etc signed long term contracts and weren't leaving to go anywhere - it will still happen now if the big boys come calling with the fees and the wages so not sure it can be "in the past" because unless it's Barca , Madrid , Utd and possibly Bayern the rest are clubs that will sell.

If the players are that good then the top clubs will look to buy them using whatever fee is needed - Ali , Walker , Dier , Erickson , Kane , All could go , would cost a lot but it's very plausible just like Bale , Modric , Berbatov in the past.

And the reason is quite simply Spurs aren't at the level of those clubs and don't think they ever will be unless titles and CL start to fill in the cabinet.

Spurs did lose both there c/bs at different times this season, also Rose has been out for awhile,the players that have come in for these have done well, but they are not at the level of Chelsea's bench.

It looks like we will finish second so not so much of a struggle, but you're right in saying we could strengthen the squad.

Spurs are at a different point now from when they sold Bale, Modric, so I think my point about not looking in the past is valid,

Levy as we know is very astute and will be awhere that keeping this squad and manager makes very good business sense

Quote Originally Posted by Rlburnside View Post
    Spurs did lose both there c/bs at different times this season, also Rose has been out for awhile,the players that have come in for these have done well, but they are not at the level of Chelsea's bench.

It looks like we will finish second so not so much of a struggle, but you're right in saying we could strengthen the squad.

Spurs are at a different point now from when they sold Bale, Modric, so I think my point about not looking in the past is valid,

Levy as we know is very astute and will be awhere that keeping this squad and manager makes very good business sense
    Looking at the various rumours around the place there is the obvious reported interest in certain players

So do you think Levy would turn down these sort of offers and would the players turn them down

Ali for about £50-60 mil from Madrid
    Walker - £20-25 mil from City
    Dier £40mil from United
    Erikson £50 mil from Barcelona

Just rumours obviously from the toilet papers but if those sort of bids arrived can you really see Levy saying no ?

Looking at the various rumours around the place there is the obvious reported interest in certain players

So do you think Levy would turn down these sort of offers and would the players turn them down

Dier £40mil from United

Just rumours obviously from the toilet papers but if those sort of bids arrived can you really see Levy saying no ?
    Yes I can, I think there at the point of becoming a regular top 4 competing club and I think all those players also seem to have a good bond, very much like the Utd side of the early 90's, and if they stay together and build around them and get a strong bench, then they'll become regular title contenders imo.

What a scary thought 😜

Tour Rookie

Dier £40mil from United

Yes I see Levy turning those fees down. In today's over inflated market, quite frankly they are an insult.
    Bale went for £79 million (I think from memory), however Ali is much younger, has the potential to vastly improve and as Souness put it "he's one of those players with a look in his eye" aka Roy Keane. So based on that he's worth more than Bale.
    Delle Ali has more of an impact in games than Pogba, ie goals, assists tackles, which makes his value higher than a mere £60 million.
    When you consider Wilfred Zaha is valued at £40 million, the figures above are ridiculous.
    Titleist 915 D2 Driver 10.5 Deg Diamana Blue
    Titleist 915f 3 Fairway Wood Diamana Red
    Cobra DWS Hybrid Aldila NV 65R
    Cleveland CG16 4-PW
    Cleveland CG16 48 Deg GW
    Cleveland Tour Action 53 Deg GW
    Cobra SW
    TaylorMade Ghost Maranello Putter

Handicap 14.4

Quote Originally Posted by ColchesterFC View Post
    Arsenal have got over £200 million in cash in the bank. They could quite easily afford any of those players you mentioned or any of several other top players. The problem isn't that Arsenal don't have money, it's that they have a manager who is reluctant to buy the star players.
    If you mean spending £100M for Pogba then yes I would agree with you Wenger will never spend that sort of money on a player.

We went for Kante but couldnt match his package with Chelsea. It was a bidding war and if we never stopped at reasonable wages then he would be on 300k a week now at Chelsea. It's just not worth trying to compete there.

We'll go for Mbappe but we will lose out to the highest payers.

Last time a couple of great players came up for sale and they wanted to join us and the competition weren't interested we got them both. Sanchez and Ozil.

We have to accept that we can only buy Tier 2 players, the top tier go to the Madrid's, Barca's, Chelsea's, City's, Uniteds of this world. It's just the way it is.

The average Arsenal Fan TV watcher can't see that, they think a new man will come in and clean up the trophies.

We should be winning the PL every year blud. We should winning the CL blud. Pathetic.

If you mean spending £100M for Pogba then yes I would agree with you Wenger will never spend that sort of money on a player.

We went for Kante but couldnt match his package with Chelsea. It was a bidding war and if we never stopped at reasonable wages then he would be on 300k a week now at Chelsea. It's just not worth trying to compete there.

We'll go for Mbappe but we will lose out to the highest payers.

Last time a couple of great players came up for sale and they wanted to join us and the competition weren't interested we got them both. Sanchez and Ozil.

We have to accept that we can only buy Tier 2 players, the top tier go to the Madrid's, Barca's, Chelsea's, City's, Uniteds of this world. It's just the way it is.

The average Arsenal Fan TV watcher can't see that, they think a new man will come in and clean up the trophies.

We should be winning the PL every year blud. We should winning the CL blud. Pathetic.
    c'mon fam don't be like that innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
    Yes I see Levy turning those fees down. In today's over inflated market, quite frankly they are an insult.
    Bale went for £79 million (I think from memory), however Ali is much younger, has the potential to vastly improve and as Souness put it "he's one of those players with a look in his eye" aka Roy Keane. So based on that he's worth more than Bale.
    Delle Ali has more of an impact in games than Pogba, ie goals, assists tackles, which makes his value higher than a mere £60 million.
    When you consider Wilfred Zaha is valued at £40 million, the figures above are ridiculous.
    The fees weren't really the main part - just plucked them up from memory from what I have seen

Using Ali for example. - if he is as good as you are saying then Madrid , Barcelona etc will be looking to get him - and they will be willing to pay the money , if they do come in with the £60-70 mil maybe a bit more overall package with add ins etc - then Levy isn't going to turn that down and Ali will jump at a move to Madrid etc or even City going mad with money - it's the same with most clubs , when Madrid etc want the player they more than likely get them and not afraid to overspend , same with City , United , Barce etc . If they came calling for Coutinho - he will go , there isn't many clubs that manage to keep hold of a player when certain clubs go after them

Tour Winner

You just keep on making your excuses for Wenger. You paid more for Xhaka than Chelsea paid for Kante. Xhaka on £90k per week. Kante on £110k per week. You've got players like Walcott, Ramsey, Bellerin and Giroud on £100-110k per week and Cazorla and Mustafi on £90k per week so it's nonsense to suggest that you couldn't have matched the package that Chelsea put forward.

I say again that you you have got over £200 million in the bank. Not being able to afford players isn't the problem. Your manager/board are the problem at Arsenal not finances.