Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Re: Happy St Totteringham Day - NOT

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
    I agree success is measured by silverware and ultimately this is the defining point.
    Yes I did start the thread as it's been 21 years since we finished above Arsenal, so that due to the time is a milestone.
    In the past Spurs have sold their better players i.e. Bale, Sheringham, Berbatov, however the difference with this team is the real togetherness and spirit they have. For the last 2 seasons Spurs have lost that soft touch they had. Previously they were weak on the road, once behind they had no backbone, they posed no threat. Now they have a real togetherness to succeed.
    In addition we have quality players all over the pitch rather than 1 or 2 that stood out. A lot of our players could walk into teams in the top 5/6 whereas before that wouldn't have happened.
    Yes we have a few high quality assets i.e. Kane, Alle, Dembele, Erikson, Lloris, Rose, Walker, but the numbers are greater and younger. When Kane was out Son stepped up. Hopefully Jansen will come good next season, if not then we certainly need another striker because at present I feel we are a bit over reliant on Kane.
    Regards the manager, I think he will stay and prove himself by winning some quality silverware i.e. League FA Cup.
    My biggest concern is the move to Wembley, as all visiting teams will raise their game as it will feel like a cup final to all visitors. This may prove to be a chink in our armoured, but I hope not.
    playing all our home games at wembley will be a real test. It been great to see others step up when needed when we had key players out, Kane, Super Jan, toby, rose etc.

COYS
    COYS

Global Moderator PhilTheFragger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    I was whispering that night aswell
    Omg , you can go louder? I thought the constant jabber verging on perpetual motion was impressive. Go you big boy

Looks like we are annoying the banter less one. Tragic.

Ok back on track

LP has his opinions, we have ours, agree to disagree and move on, nothing to be gained by making a scene.

Spurs have had a very good domestic season, finishing above Arsenal is a proper result, although Arsenal have been poor this season by their standards .

Hope Spurs can keep their players and go better next season 👍
    Driver Callaway Big Bertha 9 Degree, A-Flex
    5 Wood Callaway XR A Flex
    Hybrid Callaway XR 22 Degree A-Flex
    wilson staff FG Tour v4 utility iron Reg
    Irons 5-PW Orka GS5 CTI Flatline 80A Graphite
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy2 52, 58 degree A-Flex
    Putter Ping Scottsdale Grayhawk 34 inch with Fatso 50 Grip
    Handicap 19.5 Whipsnade Park GC
    2017 Imurg Challenge : Me 8 : 10 Him

Will Spurs cross the line and become a top club? Chelsea have, so why not Spurs? But even Chelsea sell top players, or did under Jose. There's only City, I think, who seem to keep their top players.

And there's nothing wrong with being sceptical about Spurs breaking through. There's plenty of clubs been up there and have subsequently waned. Liverpool, the season Gerrard slipped, was close to being up there again. Will they break through next season? I doubt it, as there's too much work for Kloop still to do. Will Arsenal? Oh me sides... not a chance in hell. I'd put them on a par with Utd, way too much work needed there. Chelsea Tottenham next season, with City running them close.

The rest are chasing 4th spot, apart from Arsenal who will be chasing 6th...
    Give it big humpties

Congratulations to Spurs. In all fairness they were the better team in the league last year too and should have finished above us then, bar their collapse once the title was settled.

Looks like they have a top manager in Poch, and currently operating on a wage bill half that of Arsenal's. Makes you think.

Can see this year being the high point for them though with the stadium move and year at Wembley coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by jp5 View Post
    Congratulations to Spurs. In all fairness they were the better team in the league last year too and should have finished above us then, bar their collapse once the title was settled.

Looks like they have a top manager in Poch, and currently operating on a wage bill half that of Arsenal's. Makes you think.

Can see this year being the high point for them though with the stadium move and year at Wembley coming up.
    That's a bit like saying if Arsenal had won 10 more games this year then we might have come top. It didn't happen, the season is 38 games long.

This year though for sure they have improved and deserve to be where they are. Wembley will be a challenge although I understand that they are changing the dimensions of the Wembley pitch to make it like WHL, smallest pitch in the prem? Whether this makes it feel more like home remains to be seen.

Wage bill is low but players like Rose will suddenly want a lot more than 40K so like Arsenal they will have to either cough up or let their best players go for more money. The hard work for Spurs starts now really trying to balance the books and keep everyone happy during a stadium move.

You have to chuckle at the Liverpool supporters on here, absolutely cacking themselves that a team like Spurs has got ahead of them. Maybe if they had more confidence in Klopp and their own outlook they wouldn't come across as insecure as they do.
    H'cap 8.9

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    That's a bit like saying if Arsenal had won 10 more games this year then we might have come top. It didn't happen, the season is 38 games long.

This year though for sure they have improved and deserve to be where they are. Wembley will be a challenge although I understand that they are changing the dimensions of the Wembley pitch to make it like WHL, smallest pitch in the prem? Whether this makes it feel more like home remains to be seen.

Wage bill is low but players like Rose will suddenly want a lot more than 40K so like Arsenal they will have to either cough up or let their best players go for more money. The hard work for Spurs starts now really trying to balance the books and keep everyone happy during a stadium move.

You have to chuckle at the Liverpool supporters on here, absolutely cacking themselves that a team like Spurs has got ahead of them. Maybe if they had more confidence in Klopp and their own outlook they wouldn't come across as insecure as they do.
    Blimey the thread escalated a little didn't it - why are you and others going on about Liverpool ? Has it reached the point now where anyone questioning any other team the only response is to bring their own team into it ?!

As for the questions and accusations on some of my other remarks on the thread

1. Spurs have in the past continually sold their best players - that's a fact , they have also struggled to replace their best players when they are sold.

2. Right now they are potentially a very good team but until they actually cross the line in terms of winning titles ( thought the analogy would be simple to understand ) they will just be a team with potential. Whether they realise that potential will be down to point 1 - whether they continue to sell off their best players and not replace them with the same level of players

Spurs right now have achieved a 3rd place when they should have at the very least come second -they have struggled in Europe so I'm not sure exactly how it is I can be accused of trolling by posting an opinion that is very much held by a good deal number of people. Unless of course someone was just trying to start something that was never there.

Quote Originally Posted by jp5 View Post
    Of course, but hard to argue that Spurs didn't collapse once the title was settled.

They gave Leicester the biggest challenge to the title, despite us ultimately finishing second.
    yeah a pretty spectacular collapse! And a few of my mates were seething.. Me not so much, especially after the dross of the 90s, 2nd 3rd.. its all the same.
    COYS

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post

they're just gutted because "we've got Alli.....Delle Alli..."
    COYS

So good to finish above Arsenal after so long.

Its irrelevant for some to keep banging on about the past and to say we are a selling club that's all it is the past, what's more relevant is where Spurs are at this moment.

We have a better 1-11 than anyone in the league with a young strong side playing the most attractive football with one of the best managers and many players have signed new contracts, the club have stated they are not looking to sell on players and unless Barca or Real Madrid offer huge amounts I can't see this changing.

A top quality striker would be a great addition to the squad.

I think Chelsea, City, Man U. are the only three who could be in a better position than Spurs for the next couple of seasons, mainly because they can spend ridiculous amounts of money, you only have to look at Chelsea's bench to understand why it's hard to compete and the reason why they will win the league.

I agree it will be harder next season having to play our home games at Wembley, interesting to hear someone mention they are going to reduce the pitch size.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlburnside View Post
    So good to finish above Arsenal after so long.

Its irrelevant for some to keep banging on about the past and to say we are a selling club that's all it is the past, what's more relevant is where Spurs are at this moment.

We have a better 1-11 than anyone in the league with a young strong side playing the most attractive football with one of the best managers and many players have signed new contracts, the club have stated they are not looking to sell on players and unless Barca or Real Madrid offer huge amounts I can't see this changing.

A top quality striker would be a great addition to the squad.

I think Chelsea, City, Man U. are the only three who could be in a better position than Spurs for the next couple of seasons, mainly because they can spend ridiculous amounts of money, you only have to look at Chelsea's bench to understand why it's hard to compete and the reason why they will win the league.

I agree it will be harder next season having to play our home games at Wembley, interesting to hear someone mention they are going to reduce the pitch size.
    Excellent and honest post