Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Club Teams

Club Teams

Do you play in your clubs teams comps home & away against other local clubs?

I suppose the obvious one's are B-team, Seniors, A-team, Scratch team.

They are great value playing other nearby clubs for less than you could on your County card with a dinner and drinks thrown in, what's not to like?

I've noticed though that from being at a few clubs in my short career as a hacker these teams at all golf clubs are always struggling to find players!

Our B-team at times last year when I played for it and before I was injured a couple of years ago was always scraping 8 together to play.

I just received an email from the A-team captain that obviously went out to the whole membership asking for players as they only had 3 on their list for next week to play and were asking for help as they need a minimum of 8!

We don't have a scratch team but I know other local clubs that do but I know they were moaning as they were playing mid-handicappers more and more, as again, it was proving difficult to field teams.

So, is it something that is declining across golf clubs? (Story for GM maybe Mike?

Our A-team is now up to 15 handicap whereas it used to be 9 and below, our B-team is pretty much open ended, our Coggs (Seniors) is over 55.

I now play for the Coggs as I prefer the early tee time of 08.30 so I'm still home before the wife and have the evening together, our B-team which I did enjoy was always a 2.30pm tee time and went into the evening after having dinner etc which was another day/night out midweek not getting in until after 10pm.

Do you play for your club?

What teams does your club have?

Are they always looking for players?

Have any of your teams merged or disbanded because of a poor uptake from the membership?

Do you have the unscrupulous member that only puts his name down for decent aways matches but never does to play at home?

Hopefully I'll get cut enough to help out my A-team
    Member of http://www.coventrygolf.co.uk/

www.justgiving.com/GolfMonthlyForumHFH2017

Handicap Challenge: Papas1982 18.1 Vs Fish 17.9

20 months without an Infraction!!!

Re: Club Teams

County Durham has a Scratch League, 6 players, normally your best 6, most clubs enter and have no problem filling spaces.
    We then have the Rabbits League, handicaps 16-28, again most clubs enter with no issue. We have nothing for handicaps 6-15.
    South of us, Teeside, has similar, except there A Team is 12 matches, 6 Scratch and 6 Handicap.

Apart frim above we also have Seniors Team midweek.

Ours is in the Surrey county comp which allow each club to enter two teams on opposite sides of the draw and is a mix of handicaps and then a friendly league called the waffrons league

Surrey 5s is a team of 2 5-12 hcps and 3 13-18 hcps
    The waffrons is a 4,4,4 split of hcps up to 9, 10-15, 16-22
    Then there is obviously the county scratch ko and friendlies.

Never really been too many issues, the club just need to make sure newer members (or everyone really) know its about the golf and not some uber competitive thing full of wannabe tour player knobheads as I imagine plenty of people are intimidated by representing the club in a match with 20 people round the first tee. Really its about going out and playing a nice course for 10-15 quid and getting a decent ham egg & chips or sandwiches and chips out of it as well.
    9.5* Ping i20 Stock Stiff
    15* Taylormade R15 Fujikura FUEL 60 S
    18* Adams Pro DHY Aldila Tour Blue 85 S
    4-PW John Letters Master Model S300
    52*,56*,60* John Letters Tour Black DG Spinner
    34" Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
    2016 Handicap par 73 SSS71 - 10.0 -> 10.1 (NR,95 adj) -> 10.2 (net 79)
    http://www.driftgolfclub.com/golf/

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Do you play in your clubs teams comps home & away against other local clubs?

I suppose the obvious one's are B-team, Seniors, A-team, Scratch team.

They are great value playing other nearby clubs for less than you could on your County card with a dinner and drinks thrown in, what's not to like?

I've noticed though that from being at a few clubs in my short career as a hacker these teams at all golf clubs are always struggling to find players!

Our B-team at times last year when I played for it and before I was injured a couple of years ago was always scraping 8 together to play.

I just received an email from the A-team captain that obviously went out to the whole membership asking for players as they only had 3 on their list for next week to play and were asking for help as they need a minimum of 8!

We don't have a scratch team but I know other local clubs that do but I know they were moaning as they were playing mid-handicappers more and more, as again, it was proving difficult to field teams.

So, is it something that is declining across golf clubs? (Story for GM maybe Mike?

Our A-team is now up to 15 handicap whereas it used to be 9 and below, our B-team is pretty much open ended, our Coggs (Seniors) is over 55.

I now play for the Coggs as I prefer the early tee time of 08.30 so I'm still home before the wife and have the evening together, our B-team which I did enjoy was always a 2.30pm tee time and went into the evening after having dinner etc which was another day/night out midweek not getting in until after 10pm.

Do you play for your club?

What teams does your club have?

Are they always looking for players?

Have any of your teams merged or disbanded because of a poor uptake from the membership?

Do you have the unscrupulous member that only puts his name down for decent aways matches but never does to play at home?

Hopefully I'll get cut enough to help out my A-team
    Are these friendlies or in a competition/league - how many matches are there, how much do they cost, when are they?

I'll always play in a league match as is for the club but no interest in friendlies that have meals and things after - especially now you can pretty much play any course for not much money on a day out with people you really want to play with.

Tour Winner

We have 2 men's teams, teams of 6, played as 6 scratch match play games
    1st team , very strong, 1st man +4 and last man scratch.
    2nd team, normally handicaps 1-3, maybe 4

Seniors team and ladies team also, unaware or how they play their matches, I'd guess similar

In this regard at least, golf is a victim of its own success. As the OP says team matches (serious and friendly) are amazing value. Play another course usually with people of similar ability, the opportunity to meet new friends or catch up with old friends, all for the price of a usually very good meal. And yet...
    The truth is there are simply too many opportunities to do this. We find seniors golf has taken most of the team members away save for the top teams. The seniors play in the early afternoon and seemingly matches that tee off at 4 or 5pm mean a dash from work and a late meal. With an aging profile, seniors make up a big part of most club's membership. 10 years ago team and friendly matches were very popular. People have busier lives now.
    I do think that we take these things for granted. I have yet to hear of a golf club using these opportunities as a reason for joining their club over being a nomad. Off the top of my head, outside sport I cannot think of another scenario where this kind of thing exists. Owning a BMW doesn't allow you to drive a Merc for a day and yet being a member of one club often allows you to play others for next to nothing.
    Last edited by Sweep; 28-Apr-2017 at 06:21.
    No signature any more as they are now frowned upon. But I do play with these...Ping G30 10.5 TFC 419D reg TM M1 3 wood HL regTM RBZ 4 hybridPing G30 5 - U wedgeCleveland CG16 52 & 58 Black Pearl Tour ZipEvnroll ER5 Hatchback 33"Skycaddie LinxStewart X7 Lithium Remote Dream Machine!

Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    County Durham has a Scratch League, 6 players, normally your best 6, most clubs enter and have no problem filling spaces.
    We then have the Rabbits League, handicaps 16-28, again most clubs enter with no issue. We have nothing for handicaps 6-15.
    South of us, Teeside, has similar, except there A Team is 12 matches, 6 Scratch and 6 Handicap.

Our team plays in that scratch league. It's fair to say that every team in that league is never able to field its strongest team due to work, holiday & other commitments. This has got worse over the years as work pressures have built up. It's a real struggle to get the evening matches played, especially at the beginning & end of the season & the early starts make it impossible for some members to ever represent the team.
    Taylormade M1 9, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Odyssey Metal X No. 1,Ping Anser Redwood, Ping Anser blade (1960s vintage) (depending on how they behave)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

I've played in the vets (over 60's) league team for a couple of years now, although I could have for 4 years. Today we have an away match locally and it'll cost about 6. They now have a brunch before the tee off at 1pm and then we don't have the change for dinner afterwards any more and speeches etc etc, this seems to suit most players now and our teams can often be over subscribed.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

We have a scratch team and a handicap Moray and Nairn League team.
    The scratch team you have to be plus figures to get in tbh and is played over a couple of weekends. the handicap league is
    3 players 4-9 3 10-15 and 3 16 plus. and is played over a course rota with a super sunday for the final with all teams playing the last match at a host club.

we also have a few friendly matches which are more social golf but usually played for a significant trophy.
    two are big games 36 a side shotgun, with a dinner after. These are against Royal Dornoch and Nairn Dunbar.

we also have smaller matches against;
    Skibo
    Western Gailes
    Kilmarnock Barrasie
    Gullane
    The R&A
    The Honorable company of Edinburgh golfers
    Carnoustie
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post

Our scratch league is 7 a side mate
    In The Bag:

Titleist 913 d3 8.5 degree
    Titleist T mb 2 iron
    Vega VC01 3-6 iron VM01 7-PW Shimada Tour X shafts
    Vega rafw 01 - 52 57 60
    Scotty Cameron 2.6 centre shaft

Club: Seaham golf club
    Twitter: cwayman90