Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Public speaking

Re: Public speaking

No Thanks HK, reminded me of a few things. Like you the best presentations have PPT to show a picture, or context, i hate text heavy ppt's!!!
    Owner of golf clubs, dusty golf clubs...

Talks a lot of sense on twitter @scottroots

Lots of good comments by people who know far more than me. My one tip would be to speak slowly. Nerves inevitably speed you up and I think someone speaking slowly gives an air of confidence. Maybe not a full Alan Rickman but perhaps an Anthony Hopkins in Westworld. Try your best to slow down, walk around a bit if you can. Break up the monotony of one person in one spot talking for 45 minutes. Best of luck, I don't envy you.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Cobra Baffler 5w, Nike Covert Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Rooter View Post
    Thanks chaps!
    I do this a lot with work and have a back ground of doing presentations whilst in the Royal Navy.

My routine is always to kind of script what you want to say on paper, ensuring that structurally it flows and makes logical sense.

Then once i was happy with the points i wanted to make and that the key facts / figures etc were accurate. I will record myself giving the speech on my phone.

Then i would just listen to my voice over and over again saying the presentation in the order.

This meant that i would ingrain the structure and facts into my head and when i was actually delivering the speech, i knew what was coming next in my head.

Likewise if you start to ad lib or answer questions, your brain is kind of pre programmed to know whats next.

Benefits for me where that i have never had to rely on paper note or queue cards and could just relax and make good contact with the audience.

All differs on the individual though
    In the bag

Variations on the below

Driver – Callaway X2Hot 8.5 Degree Aldila ATX Tour Green X-Flex
    3 Wood - Adams Tight Lies 2 SS - Stiff Kuro Kage
    2 hybrid – Adams Pro 19 Degree Aldila ATX Tour Red Stiff
    3 Hybrid - Adams Pro Mini 21 Degree Aldila ATX Tour Green Stiff
    3-PW Cobra king CB/MB black KBS Tour X Flex
    50,56 and 60 Mackdaddy MD3 Wedges
    Putter – Scotty Go-Lo 5

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Lots of good comments by people who know far more than me. My one tip would be to speak slowly. Nerves inevitably speed you up and I think someone speaking slowly gives an air of confidence. Maybe not a full Alan Rickman but perhaps an Anthony Hopkins in Westworld. Try your best to slow down, walk around a bit if you can. Break up the monotony of one person in one spot talking for 45 minutes. Best of luck, I don't envy you.
    Possibly the single most important thing

eye contact is next
    In the bag

Variations on the below

Driver – Callaway X2Hot 8.5 Degree Aldila ATX Tour Green X-Flex
    3 Wood - Adams Tight Lies 2 SS - Stiff Kuro Kage
    2 hybrid – Adams Pro 19 Degree Aldila ATX Tour Red Stiff
    3 Hybrid - Adams Pro Mini 21 Degree Aldila ATX Tour Green Stiff
    3-PW Cobra king CB/MB black KBS Tour X Flex
    50,56 and 60 Mackdaddy MD3 Wedges
    Putter – Scotty Go-Lo 5

Assistant Pro

I have to give regular presentations in my new role. I'm certainly not a natural at it by any means and have to put a lot of effort into the planning, and thought into how best to deliver.

Given that's it's a keynote you will be seen as an authority in your field. So the good news is that people will actually be interested in what you're going to say. I find engagement is half the battle so you're already winning on that front.

I truly admire natural orators who command the room and speak without notes etc. I just don't have that in me - I don't know if you do? If not prep work is key. I don't read from a script word for word but I do prepare bullets in case I lose the thread. I've learned to harness the nerves and use these to keep me on my toes.

The final thing to add is only invite questions if you're confident you can provide an answer there and then. I was in the audience recently when a colleague delivered an amazing speech, then had a Q&A at the end. He didn't know the answer to 75% of questions and promised to get back to them. Despite his impressive speech colleagues were left with the impression he didn't know what he was on about.

Prior
    Planning &
    Preparation
    Prevents
    P Poor
    Performance

I'm the quietest person I know
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 11.6

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I'm the quietest person I know

Sssshhhh! Can't you see I'm trying to sleep
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Sssshhhh! Can't you see I'm trying to sleep
    I can hear you are!
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 11.6

Ryder Cup Winner

Haven't done it for years but you need to be slow, deliberate and annunciate your words well particularly if you have a regional accent.

Edit to add, always preferred a mix of crib cards and a script, script on its own left no room to freewheel a bit and crib cards on their own we're too easy to go off script. Fine lines to stay professional with a little character
    Last edited by Val; 26-Apr-2017 at 21:17.