Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

Would new clubs really help me?

I read Golf Monthly every month and spend a fair bit of time (too much) on here. There is a common theme in the magazine that having modern, up to date clubs, which have specifically been fitted to me is the best way to go.

I'm sure that is right, but is that a reason for me to replace my clubs?

I currently play with a set of Cleveland CG7 Black Pearl's, the black pearl finish is all but faded away now, but that doesn't really bother me. The clubs were first released in 2009 I think, so relatively old, has the technology in irons moved on much in the last 7 or 8 years? I bought my set in 2012, they're completely standard and I got them for a good price (£279 inc. a free wedge).

My eye is now roving though for a new set of irons. I've got my eye on a set of Srixon Z565's or perhaps Mizuno JPX900's. Something that to my eye has clean lines and is classy looking, but actually still pretty forgiving. I've never been a fan of super game improvement clubs as I like to feel whether I hit the middle of the club face or not and find some super game improvement clubs have a slightly numb feel. My CG7s are pretty much where I like a club to be; some feedback, but plenty of forgiveness.

Given I'm 5'8, my assumption is that if I had a fitting for a new set, I probably wouldn't be too far from the standard specification, so it would be a matter of identifying the shaft that works best for me.

The main reason I'm considering changing my irons is because I want to. In my opinion, that's a great reason in itself. I just wondered if people actually think there might be some read benefit to me too? i.e. custom fitting might help, or a more modern up to date set might help.

I don't really want this to descend into another debate around custom fitting, if I was buying a new set, I would definitely be custom fitted for them, my question is really limited to whether a new set of clubs would actually be likely to help me play better golf. My gut instinct is that the difference would probably be marginal, but if I want a new set, I should just go ahead and buy one anyway!
    Handicap: 12

Re: Would new clubs really help me?

I am in a similar place at the moment. I bought my current iron set (MacGregor VFoil M455) used on ebay about 1 1/2 years ago for very little money. My intention was to play them maximum for one season, until I could afford to get a "real" fitted set. But I am now faced with the dilemma that I absolutely love those irons. Okay, admittedly, they are dead ugly. But they are super forgiving while at the same time being forged, which gives them a really nice soft feel and even allows me to shape the ball a little, even though they are game improvement irons. So while part of me still craves something shiny and new, and I feel like I fully deserve to spend some money on new clubs, on the other hand I doubt that there are any current iron sets out there that would actually serve my game better than what I have.

I haven't completely made my mind up yet, but I think what I will do is to invest in an independent club fitting. It will cost about 100 € to do that, but at least according to his reputation, the guy I am thinking about using is not trying to sell you something if it does not really benefit your game.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

Hey Canary, I'm 5'8 in shoes and while I was custom fit at Pings HQ for a minor lie alteration (blue dot), I bought my currents irons on ebay and they are perfect. Had the lie and loft checked on them and when I struck the board they were spot on - at standard lie.

Reason for change? Started striking the ball better after lessons (with Bobmac) and was advised that the G15s I was rocking were no longer needed, that I'd get a better result from something more workable. And I certainly do, love my Mizzys.

Just after Xmas I picked up a Titleist 915 to replace my G15 driver. I've gained real distance, noticable both on course and at my local range. The reason? I certainly "feel" like when I middle one with this I know it, whereas anywhere ballpark sweetspot with the Ping felt the same. Not sure if that translates to distance. What more likely does is the shaft. The Titleist one is still regular but feels much stiffer than the Ping one, possibly it's heavier. Regardless I can get into it more, am middling it more, and like I say I'm now in parts of the fairway previously unreachable.

Do new bats work? Yes they do. Will I change again for a few years? No. Should you change? If you have the money and you fancy those shiney irons, why the hell not.
    1W, 3W, 2h, 3h Titleist 915
    4i Titleist 716 TM-B
    5i - PW Mizuno MP54
    51, 55* Vokey SM2
    Odyssey RX7
    H/c 10

Journeyman Pro

Interesting - thank you both.

If I did buy a new set, I'd be buying them with a view to keeping them for 5 years plus. I don't even really think of my current set as being old, but I guess they are a bit now. I think that's an investment I can justify!

Adding a further question then....

If I'm interested in something like the Srizon Z565 and the Mizuno JPX 900, what else should I be giving a test drive?
    Handicap: 12

Pro I use is a Ping man, but he really rates the Callaway Apex pro's.

Titleist AP2s don't look too dissimilar to those Srixons, and they are a very good club.

a lot of the articels out there have a tendancy to massively overstate the benefits of getting fitted for modern kit, making claims like it will knock 5 shots off your handicap... it wont make much differnce at all. Ive been fitted a few times and while its fun, dont expect miracles, but like you say, who doesnt like new stuff.
    COYS

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    a lot of the articels out there have a tendancy to massively overstate the benefits of getting fitted for modern kit, making claims like it will knock 5 shots off your handicap... it wont make much differnce at all. Ive been fitted a few times and while its fun, dont expect miracles, but like you say, who doesnt like new stuff.
    Seems like a mental thing to me. Rather than fitted clubs actually performing massively better, I would say more than half of any improvement you see would just be from the confidence of knowing your clubs have been fitted to you. The only club I had a fitting for was my putter, but that's certainly the feeling I get from using that now. My putting has got better since then, but also I could have bought the same putter without being fitted for it, and it would be interesting whether the improvement would have been the same without that confidence of knowing for sure it's right for me, rather than just 'trying it out'. (Impossible to prove one way or the other though really.)
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Tour Rookie

That thread about delusions....

New kit improving golfers must rank pretty highly on that.

Remember that golf mags are sponsored by equipment manufacturers. They have every possible interest in selling you stuff you don't need. Preferably for the highest possible price.

Of course, if you just want to, because you want to, then fair enough. Just don't imagine it'll make any difference. Me? I'd rather spend it on playing nice courses or going for a trip with a couple of mates.

New clubs (especially CF'd) can help you get the most out of the game you have, ie to get fit to your current swing. But they will not make you a better golfer, that's what lessons and practice are for, and don't be surprised if after improving your game you need different clubs.

Adverts can be misleading, particularly the distances quoted.
    With a driver a fitter could make up a club which puts very little spin on the ball, this could go miles when hit well, but could be awful if hit badly. Conversely too much spin can go nice and straight but lose distance easily. So the best club set up may not give you the extra 20 yds advertised in the magazines, but should add some distance and add some accuracy.