Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Stopping the balls on hard greens

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    Ah I see! Yes, it's been very dry in the South East of England (possibly other parts to but I can't comment on those as I'm not there!) for the last few weeks. It certainly makes things tougher for green keepers.
    When I moved to England 10 years ago from Ireland I got panic attacks because it went A WHOLE WEEK WITHOUT RAINING. Still makes no sense but I'm learning to cope.
    1W, 3W, 3h Titleist 915
    4h Adams
    4i Titleist 716 TM-B
    5i - PW Mizuno MP54
    51, 55* Vokey SM2
    Odyssey RX7
    H/c 10.0

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    Presumably that's the links golfers in Ireland and Scotland, rather than those that play elsewhere?

Links golf allows a ball to be run into a green typically. Parkland typically does not due to placement of bunkers etc. In my opinion, as I noted above, where the front of the green is well protected, the green keepers should make sure that the green is soft enough that a well struck iron shot from the fairway will hold on.
    i wouldn't necessarily agree, we have plenty of greens surrounded by bunkers and its not possible to run the ball on, 3 or our par 3's for instance.

a soft ball is a start and a good strike the next. but at the end of the day you have to play the conditions and adapt to them esp if its a course you are playing all the time.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Tour Rookie

We haven't had any decent rain for months in Herts. The fairways are rock hard and the greens are pretty firm. There is a limit to how much water we can extract from our borehole, so the greens can't be watered forever.

The older parkland courses with old-style clay based greens (ours is one) are particularly tough to play in these conditions. The newer sand based greens in the area seem 'deader'.

A couple of things worth considering :
    - many of the newer irons minimize spin in the chase for distance (low lofts and low COG). Might be worth using irons which are shorter but generate more spin.
    - On our course, the greens often have a tilt in. Using the width of the fairway sometimes allows an angle in which is into the slope and allows better control
    - Use wind/shot shape so that the ball 'stalls' into the green instead of coming in with too much energy

It's not surprising that a lot of amateurs struggle to stop a ball on hard greens.

Already mentioned are less spinny balls and irons, but (assuming a good strike) swing speed is also a factor. Pros will take too much club and hit it softer to "take the spin off", yet their soft shot will be as hard if not harder than a lot of amateurs flat out swing.

I played in a competition this week where the greens were quoted as running between 11 & 13 on the stimp meter and bone hard. One of my PP hit a good wedge into a green which pitched on the front and went OOB through the green. I appreciate it's been a dry spring thus far and too cold to water overnight but in all honesty we ended up trying to bounce bunkers short of greens which isn't a test of skill - more luck.

Highest handicap was 8 down to scratch and nobody got near par.
    Last edited by mikejohnchapman; 21-Apr-2017 at 16:05.
    Callaway XR16 Driver
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood
    Titleist 910 H 18 Deg Hybrid
    Mizuno H5 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50, 54 & 58 Deg Wedges
    Scotty Camerion Newport DB putter

H/c 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by jhills89 View Post
    Just what the course pro adviced me to use. I got on well with the tru soft balls. Have 3 dozen velocity left so may be a case of switching over to the tru soft balls again. They are cheaper as well
    Mark Crossfield (as much as some hate him) has done some good on course ball testing lately and the velocity span significantly less than other balls including the trusoft which had surprisingly high spin.

Have a shot with the trusoft and maybe consider some other soft balls like the callaway supersoft, Wilson DX2/3 etc and even a premium ball or two. You may be surprised what you end up with.

Depending on the budget, get a few different types (say AD333 tour, TM Project A and maybe a premium or two) and see if they make any difference. Some great reviews about on the Trusoft though

Head Pro

Just received all of my balls from the titliest fitting day, looking forward to doing some proper on course testing to see how much of a difference a Pro v1 will make over my usual Callaway ChromeSoft
    Consistently inconsistent, playing out of Stoneham

My course has not seen rain in a month

Almost impossible to hold a green unless you hit really high. Not seen a pitch mark in a while either.,
    2016: Started Playing->23.0
    2017: 22.7->21.5->20.3->18.8->19.1->17.9->17.0->16.4->15.8->15.5

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by mikejohnchapman View Post
    I played in a competition this week where the greens were quoted as running between 11 & 13 on the stimp meter and bone hard. One of my PP hit a good wedge into a green which pitched on the front and went OOB through the green. I appreciate it's been a dry spring thus far and too cold to water overnight but in all honesty we ended up trying to bounce bunkers short of greens which isn't a test of skill - more luck.

Highest handicap was 8 down to scratch and nobody got near par.
    Augusta?!