Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Medal Winner

Stopping the balls on hard greens

After some tips!

in the winter my approach is near perfect. My wedges go into orbit and come down and just sit!

Now we are in the summer months and my greens are hard and real fast. if you hit the green your not staying on It and 90% of the holes there is trouble just before the greens so you cant hit it short and let it roll!

Anyone else have this at there club and have any tips...
    Garon park Golf Club Member Handicap 10 In my Bag, Cobra Amp Cell Driver, Cobra Amp Cell 3-4 fairway Wood, Cobra Amp Hybrid 19-22 x 2 Cobra Amp Cell Irons 5-SW, Cobra Amp Cell Wedge 52, Cobra Trusty Rusty 60 Wedge, odyssey versa 7 Putter!,

Re: Stopping the balls on hard greens

What ball do you use?

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jhills89 View Post
    After some tips!

in the winter my approach is near perfect. My wedges go into orbit and come down and just sit!

Now we are in the summer months and my greens are hard and real fast. if you hit the green your not staying on It and 90% of the holes there is trouble just before the greens so you cant hit it short and let it roll!

Anyone else have this at there club and have any tips...
    Yeah completely understand but in winter the greens are far softer and roll a lot less.
    I would recommend 2 things.
    1) use a softer ball - this will help the ball stick to the green. Also a newer ball always helps.
    2) Make sure you're hitting from the fairway. This will always help the ball spin/stick as there is less grass between the ball and club face. If hitting from the rough I'd aim for the biggest part of the green and allow for roll.

hope it helps
    Handicap 9(8.9) - 2017 Goal to get to 5! In the Bag: Nike Vapor Fly Driver - set 10.5 Neutral, Callaway X Hot 3 Wood, Nike Vapor 3 Hybrid, Nike Vapor Pro-Combo 4-PW, Titleist SM6 52d F Grind 12d Bounce, Titleist SM6 58d S Grind 10d Bounce, Nike Method P.Milled 303 Mod 90 Putter

Just go one club shorter and bounce it up there (provided there's no front edge bunker).
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • Ping G15 driver, 10.5°
    • Slazenger Firesteel 3 & 5 woods (from original starter set )
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    2017 Jan Mar Apr May
    H'cap 24 24.1 24.2 24.3

Tour Rookie

In my opinion, greens shouldn't be so hard that a well struck iron shot won't hold on.

However, sounds like your's are, so as others have said, using a new, softer ball and trying to hit approach shots from the fairway (who doesn't though?!) seems like the only thing you can do.
    Handicap: 12

The scots and irish scrach their heads at this.

It's a differnt game in england.

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Just go one club shorter and bounce it up there (provided there's no front edge bunker).
    "90% of the holes there is trouble just before the greens so you cant hit it short and let it roll!"

You read the OP well!
    Taylormade M1 9½°, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22°
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Odyssey Metal X No. 1,Ping Anser Redwood, Ping Anser blade (1960s vintage) (depending on how they behave)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

Medal Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    What ball do you use?
    I'm using the titliest Velocity Now. Sometimes the Trusoft if its just practise
    Garon park Golf Club Member Handicap 10 In my Bag, Cobra Amp Cell Driver, Cobra Amp Cell 3-4 fairway Wood, Cobra Amp Hybrid 19-22 x 2 Cobra Amp Cell Irons 5-SW, Cobra Amp Cell Wedge 52, Cobra Trusty Rusty 60 Wedge, odyssey versa 7 Putter!,

Medal Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Most holes have a front edge bunker or a small hill that can send it left or right before the green

Tour Rookie

Its not just hard greens but our fairways need significant quantities of rain to soften them up as well. Taking a divot is a bit of a 50/50 lottery on whether you'll catch it sweet or whether you'll 'bounce' into it.