Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it allowed?

Assistant Pro

Re: Is it allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by spongebob59 View Post
    Dont think theres anything stopping you doing this in your practice swings ??
    Yes, you could do this (hold the glove under your armpit) with your practice swings.

Decision 14-3/6.5

Q.

Decision 14-3/6 clarifies that a player may not make a stroke while holding a golf ball in his hand against the grip to assist him. May the player make a practice swing or practice stroke (when permitted by Rule 7-2) while holding a golf ball in the same manner?
    A.

Yes. The prohibition in Rule 14-3 against using equipment in an abnormal manner applies to strokes that count in the player’s score and not to practice swings or practice strokes. (Revised)

However, you are not allowed to use artificial devices (eg a weight that slips onto the club or alignment rods) for a practice swing during a round.

Decision 14-3/10 (http://www.usga.org/content/usga/hom...on-14,d14-3-10) and 14-3/10.3 (http://www.usga.org/content/usga/hom...-14,d14-3-10.3) if you're suffering from insomnia

Assistant Pro

Just be careful you don't get done for having an extra club swinging around / your only allowed 14!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snell View Post
    Cheers for the responses guys, top class as always!

Looks like I'm going commando next round then to avoid any potential rule breaks

Quote Originally Posted by gmhubble View Post
    Just be careful you don't get done for having an extra club swinging around / your only allowed 14!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
    Doesn't matter whether it's an artificial device - the rule also covers use of equipment in an abnormal manner and your shirt is equipment.
    Fred Couples always used to hitch his sleeve up before a swing, couldn't that be construed the same as tucking his sleeve in??

Sounds like one of those rules that is open to (mis)interpretation same as anchoring a putter!

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    Fred Couples always used to hitch his sleeve up before a swing, couldn't that be construed the same as tucking his sleeve in??

Sounds like one of those rules that is open to (mis)interpretation same as anchoring a putter!
    I've decided I'm going to shave my left armpit whilst letting my right grow wild like a hipster beard....should do the trick.

I've decided I'm going to shave my left armpit whilst letting my right grow wild like a hipster beard....should do the trick.
    You can't do that as it assists your balance and is considered to be building a stance

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJay View Post
    I'm with you on that. Adjusting a piece of clothing before you swing in this manner is hardly using it abnormally. I have done this in the past, subtly, and only in friendly rounds.
    I am aware of a Ladies invitational day at a club where, after pulling several shots left, it was suggested to a Lady by a mischievous gentleman that she might perhaps benefit from loosening her left bra-strap!!
    Callaway Bertha 1.5 mini driver
    Titleist 915 3 wood
    TM V-Steel 5 wood
    Wilson Staff M3 Tour hybrid
    Yonex Ezone CB irons
    Titleist Vokey wedges
    Scotty Newport 1.5 putter
    Callaway Chrome Soft ball

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
    Doesn't matter whether it's an artificial device - the rule also covers use of equipment in an abnormal manner and your shirt is equipment.
    Yes, had a major brain fart. Mea culpa. (Though, wouldn't tucking your sleeve under your harm be an abnormal manner?)

Tour Winner

Cheers for the responses guys, top class as always!

Looks like I'm going commando next round then to avoid any potential rule breaks
    Too much information.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post

Thanks for reminding me it was Freddie. I've been wracking my brain to remember who did this.